A "Harcore" mode of sorts

So I think this subject has been touched upon a few times, but I would really like to see a Hardcore mode. It's not so much the world is easy, then the fact that the world BECOMES easy after gaining enough experience. If players had a choice to activate Hardcore mode, then it would be much more fun.

Hardcore mode might do the following:

- Food spoils

- Starve faster

- You need water to survive (maybe from ponds and such)

- health is reduced to maybe 60

- Resources rare

etc.

Resources don't necessarily have to be rare, but simply more restricted to ground types. Like no flints except in rocky areas, grass being very scarce outside grasslands and twig and trees very scarce outside forests. Having to get through the first nights with only uncooked food, struggling just to find materials for nightly torches, until you finally find some flints (after which you then quickly have to go back to areas with more food), would be pretty awesome (it's a bit sad the player never is faced with a situation where they are forced to eat uncooked food).

Or how about making trees grow a LOT slower so you have to move around more to find trees (so the player can face the situation where they actually might have to start chopping down smaller trees). Moving around means leaving your comfort zone.

A hardcore mode could mean you start the game with only 25 health and 25 food (that'll definitely change the way people are now spending their first two days). It also fits better with Maxwell's words at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Stroomschok

As I said before and as I will say always - I hate difficulty options. It kind of destroys the community of players. I will show you how it would look:

New/unskilled player on forum:Hey guys, oh my god! I have just killed my first Optimus Pine! And you know what? I also killed one tentacle without help of pigs!

Old/skilled player on forum:I bet that you did that on normal difficulty. No one with 2 posts on the forum can be so skilled that he can kill Optimus Pine on any higher difficulty. Nevermind noob.

What I want to say is, that it would have a lot of flamewar results. Ideal and best solution is IMHO what is in Dont Starve at the moment - but more balanced. Game should be as hard as you want it. For example I love camping - yet every day I go on heroic adventurous journey to kill something. <- that makes the difficulty "normal".¨

Who do not like to camp and is only at his heroic journeys <- make himself one pretty "hard" difficulty. (not now, I know that mobs are really easy to kill at the moment, but maybe after some updates)

And who want to turtle hard - he should be able to have this "easy" mode.

But NO defficulty settings.

As I said before and as I will say always - I hate difficulty options. It kind of destroys the community of players. I will show you how it would look:

New/unskilled player on forum:Hey guys, oh my god! I have just killed my first Optimus Pine! And you know what? I also killed one tentacle without help of pigs!

Old/skilled player on forum:I bet that you did that on normal difficulty. No one with 2 posts on the forum can be so skilled that he can kill Optimus Pine on any higher difficulty. Nevermind noob.

What I want to say is, that it would have a lot of flamewar results. Ideal and best solution is IMHO what is in Dont Starve at the moment - but more balanced. Game should be as hard as you want it. For example I love camping - yet every day I go on heroic adventurous journey to kill something. <- that makes the difficulty "normal".¨

Who do not like to camp and is only at his heroic journeys <- make himself one pretty "hard" difficulty. (not now, I know that mobs are really easy to kill at the moment, but maybe after some updates)

And who want to turtle hard - he should be able to have this "easy" mode.

But NO defficulty settings.

I agree with you in some aspects, I wasn't really aiming for a different difficulty but just suggesting it. With the new research method, things can become much harder. I'm still hoping for some sort of "Hardcore" or "Nightmare" activation. Maybe there's an item in-game you can collect that let's you do such a thing, or start over again with your stuff and this difficulty set.

While their is the chance of a community being split apart because of this, I really don't agree with ruining a game's advancement based on whether or not our community's mature enough to accept the fact that beginners will be beginners.