Nuts! Peanuts, walnuts... and more

Yup, we need some nuts in this game. I like finding carrots out in the field randomly, wouldn't it be cool to find some peanut plants while you're out and about too?

Also, provided they add in some non-piney trees in the future, chopping down a deciduous tree could randomly provide a walnut. Maybe the hammer could gain another use with the introduction of walnuts... and going along with the mysterious/magical nature of this world... maybe you crack open a walnut and find a gold nugget or amulet or some other random rare treasure/resource? (If the trees walk in this world, who's to say they don't grow/collect treasure?)

Nuts could go along with some of the squirrel/chipmunk suggestions I've seen too, meaning using nuts as bait, or the squirrels running up and stealing your nuts off the ground (maybe out of your boxes when you're gone from camp?).

These nut ideas could differentiate themselves from berries a bit by being inedible when fresh, but once you've roasted them on a fire, finally become edible. Also, they could open up more recipes in the crock pot.

Can anyone think of some other good ideas to do with nuts, or just some more nuts that would be easy to find?

Yup, we need some nuts in this game.

Are you implying I'm not enough? The Sanity meter will prove you wrong! :)

I like finding carrots out in the field randomly, wouldn't it be cool to find some peanut plants while you're out and about too?

Ah, more wild vegetables and fruits has been a topic we've discussed before, although I can't say there was a lot of focus on nuts. In the past forum members have suggested wild pumpkins, apple/pear/crabapple (on trees), and chestnuts (on trees).

Also, provided they add in some non-piney trees in the future, chopping down a deciduous tree could randomly provide a walnut.

That's one option, if the walnut were to also serve as replacing the pine cone in its roles of replanting said tree. It would be an interesting alternative, as while you can burn pine cones for fuel, you could cook walnuts for food.

Maybe the hammer could gain another use with the introduction of walnuts... and going along with the mysterious/magical nature of this world... maybe you crack open a walnut and find a gold nugget or amulet or some other random rare treasure/resource? (If the trees walk in this world, who's to say they don't grow/collect treasure?)

Mmmm... nah. I would say have the walnut either as a means to replant the tree or to eat as a food source. Magical walnuts and using hammers on them... sounds a bit far-fetched and complicated. I should note however that I'm often opposed to adding more "magic" to the game. Yes, I know there is magic, but I try to limit it... I just prefer more natural/science solutions.

Nuts could go along with some of the squirrel/chipmunk suggestions I've seen too, meaning using nuts as bait, or the squirrels running up and stealing your nuts off the ground (maybe out of your boxes when you're gone from camp?).

Well I agree, chipmunks/squirrels should probably have the same behavior as birds/rabbits when it comes to seeds/vegitables. So it makes sense that they would be attracted to nuts. Here's an idea... maybe once seasons are introduced then in Autumn we could have trees (i.e. except evergreens) drop walnuts/chestnuts randomly for a few days. So long as there are not too many of these trees and the trees each only drop nuts once, then players could have a reason to go collecting them... and at the same time squirrels/chipmunks would also be popping out of trees and doing the same.

These nut ideas could differentiate themselves from berries a bit by being inedible when fresh, but once you've roasted them on a fire, finally become edible. Also, they could open up more recipes in the crock pot.

True.

Can anyone think of some other good ideas to do with nuts, or just some more nuts that would be easy to find?

Squirrel/chipmunk bait for the old rabbit trap is the most obvious. Then we can have a new source of meat morsels... :)

And technically peanuts are beans, just saying.;)

And tomatoes are technically fruits while pineapples grow from the ground (not trees). Just in case that also comes up...