Request: GIGANTIC map size mod

Ortorin

I find the map size in this game to be too damn small. I wanna go explore huge tracts of land that might take me a real-time week to circle-navigate. This will also be nice for when all the modded creatures and other stuff start getting released, I don't wanna trip over a different animal every 3 feet. xD

It would be nice if there was a "density" setting that could be edited in the modmain.lua so you can adjust how much of everything that generates. If the world generated with the current density of items there may be an over abundance of resources to use. On the topic of settings, maybe a map size multiplier so someone may easily generate a gigantic map, or one the size of Earth if they so choose.

In any rate, if anyone picks this up, than thank you. =) 

Unfortunately, a mod can't really implement new map sizes. The translation of verbal map sizes such as "default" and "huge" to numerical data is hardcoded in the worldgen process, in a way that'a not exposed for modding, and accounts only for the sizes the game defined by default.

For modders interested in taking a look at it themselves, this is the relevant part of map/forest_map.lua:

local min_size = 350	if current_gen_params["tweak"] ~= nil and current_gen_params["tweak"]["misc"] ~= nil and current_gen_params["tweak"]["misc"]["world_size"] ~= nil then		local sizes ={			["tiny"] = 150,			["small"] = 250,			["default"] = 350,			["medium"] = 400,			["large"] = 425,			["huge"] = 450,			}					min_size = sizes[current_gen_params["tweak"]["misc"]["world_size"]]		--print("New size:", min_size, current_gen_params["tweak"]["misc"]["world_size"])		current_gen_params["tweak"]["misc"]["world_size"] = nil	end			map_width = min_size	map_height = min_size        WorldSim:SetWorldSize( map_width, map_height)

Density of entities, on the other hand, is easily moddable. A mod doing that is Map Settings, by @_Q_ (I'm not sure if it remains compatible with the game, though).

What about using new levels (much like up and away's cloud level) to link multiple (normal) maps together. They would need concrete join points, some sort of cave or fancy wormhole, but it could make the world you can play in bigger,

Yes, something like that could be done. But it'd be like adding a cave, except that its content would be surface content.

Bigger maps cause heavy lags, game engine cant handle so many objects, and there are some problems with saving and loading bigger maps.

Map Settings mod no longer works, maybe I will update it but I don't see much demand for it anyway.

Bigger maps cause heavy lags, game engine cant handle so many objects, and there are some problems with saving and loading bigger maps.

For the first part, I think it's more of an issue with Lua's garbage collector than with the engine itself (your reasoning still holds, though). For the second, yeah, DS's saving mechanism is flexible, but not the fastest.

Map Settings mod no longer works, maybe I will update it but I don't see much demand for it anyway.

I used your mod when it was available. I love playing new worlds with different settings all the time. Add me to the list of people that would be very grateful if you can update it! It's one of those mods that just felt right, unlocking some options that would be great to have without mods. +1 to you for helping me having more fun for some times, and I hope you'll find time to update it.

I used your mod when it was available. I love playing new worlds with different settings all the time. Add me to the list of people that would be very grateful if you can update it! It's one of those mods that just felt right, unlocking some options that would be great to have without mods. +1 to you for helping me having more fun for some times, and I hope you'll find time to update it.

I will take a look at it now, and see what needs fixing.

Can add a little bigger worlds too, but not that much bigger.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190599740

Should work, gigantic world size is 650, that doubles number of objects in the world, normal world is around 10k object, gigantinc is more than 20k objects.

Should work, gigantic world size is 650, that doubles number of objects in the world, normal world is around 10k object, gigantinc is more than 20k objects.

Are you sure about overriding forest_map.lua? Granted, there's no other way to do it, but...

Thank you very much Q! I played a game with your mod at gigantic and it seems to works great. Not really sure the map was 'gigantic' since I was not able to explore a lot (died at day 22). I saved/loaded maybe 15 times and never crashed; everything seemed to be there/generated. I'll report on the workshop modpage if I find anything.

P.S: Already 144 subscribers to your mod, your work is appreciated uh? ;) It just feels too integrated to get the praise it deserve. Thank you again! :]

Thank you this is awesome! Turns out there is one big bug with this; the map does not show the ground. Just the icons for different objects on the map are displayed. (while using the gigantic map setting)

This might have been caused by another mod I have, I'll do some testing at get back at ya.

I find the giant crescent-shaped islands (that I always seem to get) enough of a hassle to travel through. But an even larger map!? You'd need a lot of free time for that.

Some 'explorer' types like the idea that they will never be able to explore the entire world. Or to put it another way, they enjoy that no matter how much they've seen in a single game they will always have more to see even without starting a new game.

Just a point for why large maps are a Good Thing .

Archived