Death should be enevitable

If it roamed a constant path you'd encounter him every single Winter, so no.

Personally I don't believe the idea that he spawns every Winter and walks around until he finds you.  I've never encountered him in the wild while exploring.  I've never seen any random destroyed pig houses or other structures around the map.  And he always shows up with only a few days of Winter left to wreak his havoc.  The only time I've heard of him doing otherwise is on custom maps where Deerclops is set to lots.

I believe he only spawns when triggered and the moaning is the signal.  However, unlike the hounds who spawn after they signal Deerclops spawns near the beginning.  Unless you have a cite to the contrary from Klei my own experience seems to bear this out, at least for me.

If it roamed a constant path you'd encounter him every single Winter, so no.

Personally I don't believe the idea that he spawns every Winter and walks around until he finds you.  I've never encountered him in the wild while exploring.  I've never seen any random destroyed pig houses or other structures around the map.  And he always shows up with only a few days of Winter left to wreak his havoc.  The only time I've heard of him doing otherwise is on custom maps where Deerclops is set to lots.

I believe he only spawns when triggered and the moaning is the signal.  However, unlike the hounds who spawn after they signal Deerclops spawns near the beginning.  Unless you have a cite to the contrary from Klei my own experience seems to bear this out, at least for me.

Yes, every winter.

That's not how things work. You have to be near things for them to get owned by Deerclops. If they're outside the loading area nothing will change. And one can even find him at the beginning of winter if they stay in his path.

The moaning is the signal that he's close. 

Sorry, doesn't make any sense.  If he roamed the same path every Winter you'd either be attacked every single Winter or you'd never be attacked at all.  I haven't seen any evidence at all that the way you describe it is the way it is.  I have run into him while exploring but it was near the end of Winter as usual and I heard the moaning signal before hand.  He spawns near where you are or he doesn't spawn at all.  That's my experience.

Sorry, doesn't make any sense.  If he roamed the same path every Winter you'd either be attacked every single Winter or you'd never be attacked at all.  I haven't seen any evidence at all that the way you describe it is the way it is.  I have run into him while exploring but it was near the end of Winter as usual and I heard the moaning signal before hand.  He spawns near where you are or he doesn't spawn at all.  That's my experience.

And i'm telling you i'm at a day 650+ world now and i haven't ever encountered it in my base. Just in the same forest over and over.

In the previous world to that i ran into him every winter near my base.

Play the game more to see patterns.

there is a random chance for it to spawn, and when it does, it follows the set path Teo mentioned, just sometimes it has more time to find you. Confirmed from the code, if I read it correctly

so you are both half right, (isn't that much better than arguing?)

We're not really arguing.  We've both drawn different conclusions from the observations we've made but neither of us has any emprical evidence or confirmation from the developers.  It's all theory since we can't see Deerclops on the map to see what's he's up to.

We're not really arguing.  We've both drawn different conclusions from the observations we've made but neither of us has any emprical evidence or confirmation from the developers.  It's all theory since we can't see Deerclops on the map to see what's he's up to.

I think they like keeping us in the dark...

Someone could put together a simple Deerclops minimap icon mod. :razz:

I just looked through the basehassler.lua file out of curiosity.  As I read it DC spawns 40 units(?) away from the player.  This line sets that distance:

local HASSLER_SPAWN_DIST = 40

That variable is used when looking for suitable terrain to spawn on.

Likewise in the hounded.lua file it says the hounds spawn 30 units away:

local HOUND_SPAWN_DIST = 30

======================

Yes, I'm sorry I derailed the original topic.  I do agree with the OP that the late game gets too easy, but then we've all been saying that for some time now.

Why won't you read all the posts before replying?

I did, even with "proof" both sides still stick to their view, the closest we got was "both sides are half-right." 

Then again, after your reply, this definitive reply:

I just looked through the basehassler.lua file out of curiosity.  As I read it DC spawns 40 units(?) away from the player.  This line sets that distance:

local HASSLER_SPAWN_DIST = 40

That variable is used when looking for suitable terrain to spawn on.

Likewise in the hounded.lua file it says the hounds spawn 30 units away:

local HOUND_SPAWN_DIST = 30

======================

Yes, I'm sorry I derailed the original topic.  I do agree with the OP that the late game gets too easy, but then we've all been saying that for some time now.

pretty much concludes it.

But if you've seen my posts, you know I see others take the view that even facts mean nothing to people who decide they are right on their "points."

But this is an OT to the thread's topic, so I'll end this discussion here. if somebody wants to make a Deerclops thread on this, and wishes to go over minutiae, I'll consider if it's worth replying there or not. 

Archived