[Bugs] Moth Lamp

simplex

don't starve up and away crash screenshot http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=263595915 or there's video on my u tube channel lucky13c

Unfortunately it wasn't Up and Away which crashed, but some other mod (whichever one has a file called scripts/components/pigstats.lua), so we can't help you.

If you still have your log.txt from right after the crash (it gets overwritten whenever you start the game), I can tell you which mod caused it. In fact, even if the log is not from right after the crash I should be able to tell you that, since it's the mod with the folder names workshop-226931578 inside your mods/ folder (within the Don't Starve installation directory). If you'd like, you can check it yourself by seeing what's written next to "name" in mods/workshop-226931578/modinfo.lua; put precisely, you should check the file

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods/workshop-226931578/modinfo.lua
Either way, you should contact that mod's author.

So, @debugman18, do you have any ideas for how we could best turn the wave texture into a square without distorting it?

I'm not sure. The issue with the old wave was that it was square, I believe, and getting it to show up properly was problematic.

Or do you mean in the image file itself?

I'm not sure. The issue with the old wave was that it was square, I believe, and getting it to show up properly was problematic.

Or do you mean in the image file itself?

The image file, since we just determined that, at least in DwerBomb's case, that fixes the black waves.

It seems that its atlas is not really used, so we can't just extend the image and change the atlas.

The image file, since we just determined that, at least in DwerBomb's case, that fixes the black waves.

It seems that its atlas is not really used, so we can't just extend the image and change the atlas.

Well, I'll see about changing it into a square.

I've just got this error:

scripts/mods.lua(188,1) Mod: UpAndAway_dev (Up and Away (dev))      Error loading mod!../mods/UpAndAway_dev/code/modenv.lua:63: variable 'scheduler' is not declaredLUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/code/modenv.lua(63,1)        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/code/modenv.lua(85,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/init/kernel_components/loaders.lua(109,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/lib/use.lua(109,1) in function 'basic_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(35,1) in function 'prefixed_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(64,1) in function 'importer'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/init/kernel_components/advanced_importers.lua(82,1) in function 'BindModModule'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/code/worldgen_main.lua(9,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/init/kernel_components/loaders.lua(109,1) in function 'fn'    ...        =(tail call) ?        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/wicker/api/themod.lua(110,1) in function 'Run'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/modworldgenmain.lua(26,1)        =[C] in function 'run_handler'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/modworldgenmain.lua(19,1) in main chunk        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        scripts/util.lua(439,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'        scripts/mods.lua(185,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'        scripts/mods.lua(162,1) in function 'LoadMods'        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(73,1) in main chunkLUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        ../mods/UpAndAway_dev/modworldgenmain.lua(49,1) in main chunk        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        scripts/util.lua(439,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'        scripts/mods.lua(185,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'        scripts/mods.lua(162,1) in function 'LoadMods'        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(73,1) in main chunk    scripts/worldgen_main.lua(78,1) running worldgen_main.lua    scripts/worldgen_main.lua(80,1) SEED =     1401987717    DoLuaFile Error: scripts/worldgen_main.lua:480: attempt to index local 'level' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(480,1)        =(tail call) ?        =(tail call) ?scripts/worldgen_main.lua:480: attempt to index local 'level' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(480,1)        =(tail call) ?        =(tail call) ?Error loading worldgen_main.luaWorldSim::SimThread::Main() ERRORWorldSim::SimThread::Main() completescripts/gamelogic.lua(1030,1) Worldgen had an error, displaying...    scripts/frontend.lua(723,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen   

@debugman18

Replace scheduler with _G.scheduler in modenv.lua.

Yeah, I looked at it. It's already like that, though.

--[[-- This cancels a thread (as in inst:StartThread()), avoiding the pitfalls/crashes-- with using KillThread directly.--]]CancelThread = (function()    local to_cleanup = nil    _G.scheduler.Run = (function()        local SchedRun = assert(_G.scheduler.Run)        return function(self)            SchedRun(self)            if to_cleanup then                for _, thread in ipairs(to_cleanup) do                    _G.KillThread(thread)                end                to_cleanup = nil            end        end    end)()    return function(thread)        if thread then            if not to_cleanup then                to_cleanup = {}            end            table.insert(to_cleanup, thread)        end    endend)()

It's weird that this is popping up now, since it didn't occur until now, and the change has been there for a little while.

What I'm wondering is, did this issue occur before I changed the cloud waves?

What do you mean? When we were using the old cloudwaves (the ones we're once again using) I distinctly remember the black outline.

What do you mean? When we were using the old cloudwaves (the ones we're once again using) I distinctly remember the black outline.

No, I mean the change to the older style of clouds that caused the black textures. Did they appear prior to that change? I ask because they were not square prior to that.

6F8jCcZ.png

No, I mean the change to the older style of clouds that caused the black textures. Did they appear prior to that change? I ask because they were not square prior to that.

I don't remember, sorry.

@DwerBomb

Are you around? Could you replace the cloudwave.tex in upandaway/images with this image and let me know how it looks in-game?

https://github.com/debugman18/UpAndAway/raw/8aa0a67c775f1e3d0a8f64db880e928a0f8cf838/images/cloudwave.tex

Have a bad quality video of the clouds:

As you can see there is a problem with them, as the game doesn't load all the sea at once but rather updates it as you walk. Also you can see a bug with storage option and that strange bug about the backround of the icon of the food (in this case the tea).

Have a bad quality video of the clouds:

As you can see there is a problem with them, as the game doesn't load all the sea at once but rather updates it as you walk. Also you can see a bug with storage option and that strange bug about the backround of the icon of the food (in this case the tea).

The loading issue is actually really hard (or impossible) to solve, since the waves are actually an engine-level thing. We have just a few ways to manipulate the waves.

I'm confused. I don't understand why the waves I asked you to try are working but the newer ones aren't. Let me see something here...

Edit:

@simplex

So here's the only differences between them. The blackness must be caused by these.

Old Waves:

size: 1024x256Header:    platform: 0 (Default)    compression: 2 (DXT5)    texture_type: 1 (2D)    mipmap_count: 11    flags: 0    fill: 4095

New Waves:

size: 1024x256Header:    platform: 0 (Default)    compression: 2 (DXT5)    texture_type: 1 (2D)    mipmap_count: 9    flags: 3    fill: 4095

@debugman18

There is no meaningful difference between the two headers. I'd say the blackness is caused by something else, such as the partial alpha in the old waves (or at least what I think we're calling old waves, I'm kind of lost on which waves we're calling old and new).

@debugman18

There is no meaningful difference between the two headers. I'd say the blackness is caused by something else, such as the partial alpha in the old waves (or at least what I think we're calling old waves, I'm kind of lost on which waves we're calling old and new).

Old waves are the white ones, new waves are the original (old) waves with blue. I don't think the partial transparency by itself would cause it, since the version you asked DwerBomb to test had it as well.

Old waves are the white ones, new waves are the original (old) waves with blue. I don't think the partial transparency by itself would cause it, since the version you asked DwerBomb to test had it as well.

Yeah, but they were square. I don't know how that could affect the issue if it's about transparency, but at this point I don't have many ideas.

@DwerBomb, could you try putting this cloudwave.tex inside UpAndAway/images and tell us if it works?

cloudwave.zip

Yeah, but they were square. I don't know how that could affect the issue if it's about transparency, but at this point I don't have many ideas.

@DwerBomb, could you try putting this cloudwave.tex inside UpAndAway/images and tell us if it works?

attachicon.gifcloudwave.zip

IT WORKS! (even if the clouds have that line that separates light from dim)

post-214555-0-34574200-1402342179_thumb.

The only problem is that problem with the clouds update lag...I'm not sure, but I think it worked fine in the previous updates :/

The only problem is that problem with the clouds update lag...I'm not sure, but I think it worked fine in the previous updates :/

That happens on my end too. The drawing distance is too short (or at least that's what it looks like), so the appearance and disappearance of waves at the screen border is jumpy. It's not really lag, it just looks odd for a wave to pop up at a previously black region as you walk towards it (note at the top of the screenshot how waves don't go until the border).

@debugman18

So it turns out the differences between the headers were meaningful. What fixed it was changing the way mipmaps are generated. When generating a mipmap chain, you start with the original image and then halve the image dimensions in each step (rounding down). When the image is a square, there's only one way to do it, but when it is not there are two. As you halve the dimensions, if the image is not a square one dimension will reach a length of 1 pixel before the other (except in some cases, such as a 2x3 image, but usually one will reach 1 pixel and the other will be greater than 1 pixel). There are two ways to handle what to do in this case: stop minimap generation, using the image with 1px of width or height as the last mipmap, or continue halving dimensions, except keeping the dimension which reached 1px at a fixed 1px, until you get a 1x1 image. I was doing the former, but the game expected the latter. That's why, between the two TEX headers you posted, even though they had the same dimensions, one had 2 more mipmaps than the other.

I'll push a fix to ktools shortly. Just don't ask me how in the world that can possibly be relevant. Since the issue is hardware dependent and mipmaps are handled by the graphic card itself, it seems some graphic cards can only work properly with a "full" mipmap chain, in the sense of going all the way to a 1x1 image.

Hey @simplex, I have a small question for you...

How long static lasts ? I'm asking because of this:

I started a new game/generated new cloudrealm, and after about 5 minutes of hanging around, the static started and lasted ~9 in-game days... Or it was two static's, I could missed a small pause between though...

It is intended to static lasting that long ?

Hey @simplex, I have a small question for you...

How long static lasts ? I'm asking because of this:

I started a new game/generated new cloudrealm, and after about 5 minutes of hanging around, the static started and lasted ~9 in-game days... Or it was two static's, I could missed a small pause between though...

It is intended to static lasting that long ?

The duration is random, so you got unlucky (or lucky, depending on how you feel about it). But, on average, static lasts 2 days and non-static lasts 3 days.

Ok, so I just found another bug - Skyflies (or whatever the name of it is) are disappearing after catching with bug net.

They appears in inventory, but they disappear after clicking (can't be moved out of inventory)

Also, shift-clicking them into chest crashed the game without displaying the error (insta-crash to desktop). On the bottom of log.txt I found this:

WARNING! Could not find region 'OUTOFSPACE' from atlas 'images/hud.xml'. Is the region specified in the atlas?
images/hud.xml
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/image.lua(30,1) in function 'SetTexture'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(132,1) in function 'applychange'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(143,1) in function 'AlternateHighlight'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafttabs.lua(296,1) in function 'DoUpdateRecipes'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafttabs.lua(190,1) in function 'OnUpdate'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/frontend.lua(538,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/update.lua(46,1)
WARNING! Could not find region 'OUTOFSPACE' from atlas 'images/hud.xml'. Is the region specified in the atlas?
images/hud.xml
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/image.lua(30,1) in function 'SetTexture'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(132,1) in function 'applychange'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(143,1) in function 'AlternateHighlight'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafttabs.lua(296,1) in function 'DoUpdateRecipes'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafttabs.lua(190,1) in function 'OnUpdate'
images/hud.xml
images/hud.xml
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/craftslot.lua(137,1) in function 'Refresh'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/craftslot.lua(176,1) in function 'SetRecipe'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(137,1) in function 'UpdateRecipes'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(78,1) in function 'SetFilter'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafttabs.lua(93,1) in function 'selectfn'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(192,1) in function 'Select'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/tab.lua(44,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/widget.lua(112,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/widget.lua(112,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(291,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/frontend.lua(236,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/input.lua(138,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/input.lua(312,1)
images/hud.xml
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/craftslot.lua(137,1) in function 'Refresh'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/craftslot.lua(176,1) in function 'SetRecipe'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(137,1) in function 'UpdateRecipes'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(163,1) in function 'ScrollUp'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(31,1) in function 'onclick'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/button.lua(37,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/screens/playerhud.lua(291,1) in function 'OnControl'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/frontend.lua(236,1) in function 'OnControl'
images/hud.xml
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(163,1) in function 'ScrollUp'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/crafting.lua(31,1) in function 'onclick'
        D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/widgets/button.lua(37,1) in function 'OnControl'
FMOD Error: Can't play event dontstarve/common/destroy_rock: The requested event, event group, event category or event property could not be found.
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:126
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:129
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:132
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:103
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:105
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:109
Stale Component Reference: GUID 118972, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/components/inventoryitem.lua:99
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:126
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:129
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:132
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:103
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:105
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:109
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108430, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/components/inventoryitem.lua:99
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:126
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:129
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:132
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:103
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:105
Stale Component Reference: GUID 108432, @D:/Gry/Don't Starve DLC/data/scripts/entityscript.lua:109

BTW, I just got new state on that game I posted above - this time it was exactly 9 days of non-static :razz:On the start of 18 day, a static appeared again, looking for another 9 days of it ;) Nwm, It just ended after about one day...

Ok, so I just found another bug - Skyflies (or whatever the name of it is) are disappearing after catching with bug net.

They appears in inventory, but they disappear after clicking (can't be moved out of inventory)

Also, shift-clicking them into chest crashed the game without displaying the error (insta-crash to desktop). On the bottom of log.txt I found this:

The skyfly catching logic hasn't been implemented yet (and I'm surprised they can currently be caught with a bug net, I don't know why that was coded in). We want them to be catchable, but not using a bug net.

BTW, I just got new state on that game I posted above - this time it was exactly 9 days of non-static :razz:On the start of 18 day, a static appeared again, looking for another 9 days of it ;) Nwm, It just ended after about one day...

I still think this is just luck. The static behaviour is randomised from first principles, it can't not be random. But anyway, in the next release you'll be able to turn debugging mode on via the mod configuration screen, and then the log should clarify what's happening (if there's something off happening at all).

EDIT: I didn't even realise I was quoting the edited version (which I hadn't read); told ya it was random :razz:.

Archived