Three Questions

Dunther

Hi! Just registered on this forum, I really like your work guys, I played most of your games (and should've already have them all), I even helped you with the Motn SE translation :grin:

Anyway, two questions:
1) This is just the beta or it will unlock the full game when released? Nevermind, found your tweet.

2) No video options at all? Not even for changing the resolution?
3) I'm hallowed to do a let's play/try of this beta, and monetize it?

1] I'm not sure why they would get you to PAY for a beta, but not get the full game, afterwards... haha!

2] That's a bit silly, ESPECIALLY since the default resolution is too big for my monitor. Anyhow, it's still in beta... and they are doing the BEST they can right now!

3]

If you want to upload videos of or about Klei Entertainment game to video sharing and streaming sites (like YouTube & Twitch etc.) you can absolutely put ads on them. All we ask is that you consider adding a link somewhere to the game's Steam page, or the official website. You don't have to, but it would be super awesome if you did.

https://kleisupport.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1296011-player-creation-guidelines

While they have stated they're ok with this, contact the Devs for official response.

Wouldn't the guideline be so people DON'T need to contact the developers as often? I'm sure they'd rather have people take the time to read an official guideline, rather than waste THEIR time they could be using to work on the many projects they've put on themselves at this current moment. If anything, I'm pretty sure they will be checking this thread sometime, especially with the word "questions" in the title.

I'm LESS THAN QUALIFIED to be trying to help anyone, but, I want to try my best... and, you still have a point, an official response is always helpful. I'm just thinking about the work they're already going through...

Wouldn't the guideline be so people DON'T need to contact the developers as often? I'm sure they'd rather have people take the time to read an official guideline, rather than waste THEIR time they could be using to work on the many projects they've put on themselves at this current moment. If anything, I'm pretty sure they will be checking this thread sometime, ESPECIALLY with the word "questions" in the title.

No, it's required by YouTube to have an official response. Even though it was stated to the public, they need individual rights.

"Please note: you may not be able to monetize videos which use any of the following without the explicit permission of the person who created or produced all material:

• Music (including cover songs, lyrics, and background music)
  • Graphics and pictures (including photographs and artwork)
  • Movie or TV visuals
  • Video game or software visuals. Click here for details.
  • Live performances (including concerts, sporting events, and shows)"

No, it's required by YouTube to have an official response. Even though it was stated to the public, they need individual rights.

Okay, where's your T.O.S. quote?

Think about Minecraft, their T.O.S., where much of the copyright towards Minecraft as a brand are IGNORED for YouTube. Their are thousands of monetized Minecraft videos, how many of them asked Mojang?

https://minecraft.net/terms https://minecraft.net/brand

If you upload videos of the game to video sharing and streaming sites (like YouTube) you are however allowed to put ads on them.

---

Not sure why you want to argue your side so much, I understand you want him to play it safe, but, c'mon now... Klei said yes publicly, how much more do you want?

Okay, where's your T.O.S. quote?

Think about Minecraft, their T.O.S., where much of the copyright towards Minecraft as a brand are IGNORED for YouTube. Their are thousands of monetized Minecraft videos, how many of them asked Mojang?

https://minecraft.net/terms https://minecraft.net/brand

---

Not sure why you want to argue your side so much, I understand you want him to play it safe, but, c'mon now...

YouTube is really strict when it comes to copyrights and such. Besides, it only takes a minute.

"Please note: you may not be able to monetize videos which use any of the following without the explicit permission of the person who created or produced all material:

• Music (including cover songs, lyrics, and background music)
  • Graphics and pictures (including photographs and artwork)
  • Movie or TV visuals
  • Video game or software visuals. Click here for details.
  • Live performances (including concerts, sporting events, and shows)"

Yes, "explicit permission", being THE PLAYER CREATION GUIDELINE! THAT'S EXPLICIT!

Explicit /ikˈsplisit/: stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt. 

That said, https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2490089

---

YouTube is really strict when it comes to copyrights and such. Besides, it only takes a minute.

You don't think I know this? Even if so, how much patrolling does YouTube actually do? YouTube would find a copyrighted video, and then contact the original creators, thus, leaving any action taken to be done by said original creator.

You're both right. Our guidelines are pretty clear that it is allowed, but it's always best to contact us for explicit approval as well. This means that you are personally asking and we are personally authorizing you to do it. 

Thanks everyone, as far as I know KLEI did not create any problems for the monetization thing, but the last thing I want is to do something wrong.
I know it's a bit silly to pay for a beta-only, but since it was a "gift" in the Humble Bundle I wasn't sure, and was almost too good to be true to have a new game without even the need of BTA (not my problem, I always do BTAs, but still...).

I know it's still in beta and so many things are missing, but video options would be appreciated, like to put it at 16:9

Archived