Exactly as planned [Don't Starve]

Do you think any of these should be implemented?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think any of these should be implemented?

First; I'd like to say that Don't Starve is exactly the game I had planned to work on for the longest time, while I learnt odds and ends from coding languages. A 3-D Isometric survival games based around hunger. When this was in planning I had some amazing ideas and how they would be implemented into the game.

The mines.

The mines would be a new instanced biome with a dynamic entry point. The player would have to build a certain item and find suitable grounds to dig out a square hole, not so dissimilar from a rabbit hole, into the mines.

For this, Torchlight-esque player highlighting would be needed, as the mines will have a height and walls. The player will not be able to dig through the rock, but rather, mine out the visible deposits in the walls surrounding him. There would also be mine-specific monsters to make the mines a constant- endgame threat.

The mines will be very much like a maze. With hidden doors in the physical form of weakened rock you can break through with your pick-axe. The mines, in Don't Starve's form, should be a renewable source of flint, as cave-ins happen every 3 days at Sundown, this will give the night time a very scary rumble as the Insides of the world shift and churn under the players feet, resetting the mines entrance, and its contents.

The new metals, will of course need to be refined into bars for use. Requiring HUGE amounts of Science points, to emphasize the end-game aspect of this.

Housing.

*To be written if the previous idea gets good feedback. Its gonna be a big one.*

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second, the winter is coming.

Now, about the mines: this idea has been widely discussed as "caves" and I encourage you to check those threads because they come down to 2 main points:

1. It would be awesome to have them.
  2. We'll probably never have them as it would mean a complete re-write of the currently 2.5ish D engine.

Someone wants to talk about underground caverns...? Okay! :)

The mines.

The mines would be a new instanced biome with a dynamic entry point. The player would have to build a certain item and find suitable grounds to dig out a square hole, not so dissimilar from a rabbit hole, into the mines.

While I'm not familiar with the thrad in question, as I understand it long-time forum member LadyD made a similar suggestion with using a rabbit hole to enter an underground area. As for me I wanted to make a simple suggestion, have a crevasse appear on an island that the player can descend. Of course to descend the player would need a rope (and grappling hook) which they would use to click on the crevasse. Then the game would transition to an underground chamber illuminated from above by daylight and it was up to the player to explore using whatever light source(s) were at their disposal. I even suggested caverns as a means to travel to other islands (as another island could have its own crevasse from which to climb back out).

For this, Torchlight-esque player highlighting would be needed, as the mines will have a height and walls. The player will not be able to dig through the rock, but rather, mine out the visible deposits in the walls surrounding him. There would also be mine-specific monsters to make the mines a constant- endgame threat.

I've played Torchlight and the isometric view is not the same as the one found in Don't Starve. Hence the comments about the game being 2.5D.

The mines will be very much like a maze. With hidden doors in the physical form of weakened rock you can break through with your pick-axe. The mines, in Don't Starve's form, should be a renewable source of flint, as cave-ins happen every 3 days at Sundown, this will give the night time a very scary rumble as the Insides of the world shift and churn under the players feet, resetting the mines entrance, and its contents.

I certainly wouldn't mind the idea of knocking down stone walls with a pick axe, so long as it could be pulled off properly. Again, because of the differences in the view/stle (i.e. 2.5D). I personally would use udnerground caverns (or mines) as a renewable source for flint or stone, rather, I would leave that to the volcanic island biome (but that's another story...). Rather I would use caverns to add new content like: mushrooms, blind cave fish (albino), giant worms (monster), fungal creatures (monster), coal, crystals, and new ores. As well as lots of boulders that would contain the usual (flint/stone/gold ore).

The new metals, will of course need to be refined into bars for use. Requiring HUGE amounts of Science points, to emphasize the end-game aspect of this.

Ingots? That's sooo Minecraft. I should know, I play Minecraft. Rather, why not skip that step and just have ores that can be used to create items. Another user suggested suggested that if the game included iron ore, and we could acquire coal (hence why coal was mentioned above), then using the coal in a furnace to heat the iron you could pour the molten metal into a crucible to forge steel. Or something along those lines. I like the idea of needing two elements, iron and coal, to craft a new metal ore, steel.

On a side note, science points will be eliminated in January at some point. Kevin doesn't like them anymore. The new system will use resources associated with an invention to unlock it.

Second, the winter is coming.

Pffft. I know, I suggested it. :p

But seriously, lots of people are looking forward to seasons... not just me.

*It would be awesome to have them.

*We'll probably never have them as it would mean a complete re-write of the currently 2.5ish D engine.

True...ish. I would like to hear Kevin say for sure that this is not on the drawing board at all. Until then, a man can dream... can't he?

*We'll probably never have them as it would mean a complete re-write of the currently 2.5ish D engine.

True...ish. I would like to hear Kevin say for sure that this is not on the drawing board at all. Until then, a man can dream... can't he?

Specially since we arrived at the conclusion that a cave system doesnt have to change the 2.5d engine at all : Underground maps are just same as actual maps, with of course cave like art design and instead of coast having walls going upwards and see just being pure darkness.