Maxwell's Tale

Part One

Jack,

This book I've found...it's amazing! It has gotten me quite famous. Of course, people still think I am dead, so I have adapted a new stage name-Maxwell the Magnificent! Quite exciting, no? My life is so much better with this book...I have money! Fame! And I have a beautiful assistant by the name of Charlie Grue. Yes, Jack, my dreams are coming true at last!

----------------------------------------------------------------------->Finest regards,

____________________________________________________________________William

PS: Under all circumstances, DO NOT reveal my true name! I am Maxwell from now on! Understand?

William Carter slipped the letter into a crisp envelope embellished with a fake plastic seal. He closed the envelope and slipped it into his vest pocket, so he could mail it to Jack after the show was over with. William took a moment to admire his brand new, purple coat. He felt that it symbolized his rise from some standard, circus sideshow to a high class, famous performer. He heard the announcer's voice, and the sound of the audience. He slipped on his silk coat and donned his top hat. William then grabbed the book he had found, but then, he paused. He opened it, and read the spell he would use as a grand finale once more. Sure he knew exactly what he had to do, he slipped the book into his coat and gestured to the stagehand to raise the curtains. It was showtime.

• Like 1

Part Two

William's show began with a couple of standard tricks. He pulled a rabbit out of his hat, sawed Charlie in half, and did a bit of card magic. Simple. For beginners. But all the same, it was simple to fool those so incompetent as regular citizens. After a half hour, the curtains closed for a short intermission. As the sideshows came onto the stage, William entered his personal quarters for a short break. Upon entering his room, he immediately pulled out the book and reread the finale spell. It had to be perfect. It would be perfect. But hard to accomplish. He would have to concentrate.

A roar of applause rang out from outside, startling William out of his work. Time to finish the show. He stepped back outside, and started the real tricks. These were from the book. True magic. He made a random volunteer levitate. He created a hundred-dollar bill out of a bit of paper. He turned Charlie into a cat, then made her normal once more. The audience was awed. They always were. But he was saving the best for last.

"For my final trick," announced William, "I shall summon a demon from the depths of HELL!"

The audience gasped. Whispered conversation broke out through the crowd. "Do not fear, though! This being is completely under my control! You shall be safe! But in order to summon this being, I shall need...an effigy! Something for this being to MANIFEST within! In this case...my assistant!"

Charlie walked onto the stage. She wore a scarlet dress, and a smile just as bright. William hoped she would be unharmed. He could never forgive himself if she was. He knew deep inside he loved her, but he pushed aside his feelings and prepared to cast the spell. William raised his arms over Charlie and yelled, "UMBRA DOMINUS, TE ACCERSO!"

At first, nothing happened. Everyone was still, as if the world was holding its breath. Then, Charlie screamed. It was more than a scream of terror, though. It was pain, deep deep pain. And under it was an inhuman screech of triumph, like a vulture after seeing easy prey. Charlie then collapsed, her body shaking in wild, uncontrollable spasms. But the vulture screech continued. The crowd was frozen in horror. William didn't care the show was falling apart, he just cared about if Charlie was okay...

• Like 1

Part Three

William quickly ran up to Charlie's limp body. He rolled her onto her back and was relieved to see she was breathing. As soon as he reached her, the screeching stopped and she awoke. William lifted her head up, and she spoke. "Maxie? What happened?"

"Nothing." William replied. "A simple mistake...are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Maxie. Are you?"

"Ye-" But then, Maxwell stopped. Thin red lines were drawing themselves across Charlie's face. AS he watched, it became obvious they were cuts. It was as if someone had taken a scalpel and was drawing on her with it. Charlie didn't seem to notice. She smiled. "It's nice to see you again, Maxie." As she said this, two cuts began at the ends of her mouth. They drew themselves upward in a twisted smile. "What's wrong, Maxie?" she said, that hideous smile still on her face. "Why do you look so scared?"

Then, her body violently jerked. Her eyes drew up into her skull, and her mouth opened in a silent scream. Shadows burst forth from her eyes and mouth, forming an inky black cloud. As the shadows escaped, her face turned back to normal and she passed out once more. The crowd erupted into chaos as a massive skull formed from the black cloud...

• Like 1