projectile weapons!?

i was thinking mostly about bows and arrows?

maybe bend some twigs over the fire to make the bow and add woven silk from spiders or fine or refined rope recipe.

possibly twigs and flint or stone for crappy arrows, with added bonus or just a better arrow if you craft it with a feather from trapped birds in addition to shaft and arrow heads?

other than that the only thing i could want is to be able to throw the spear, could make us have to pick it back up even after we throw it. would be nice to not have to rely entirely on bird traps to catch em. as well as a safer method to kite combat rather than tanking mistakes with wood vest.

great game though ! cant wait to watch it grow over time, thanks for reading

-viconaut

i was thinking mostly about bows and arrows?

A popular idea as I've seen similar suggestions. In short, yes, I'm sure lots of us would like to see bows and arrows introduced to the game as a new weapon.

maybe bend some twigs over the fire to make the bow and add woven silk from spiders or fine or refined rope recipe.

possibly twigs and flint or stone for crappy arrows, with added bonus or just a better arrow if you craft it with a feather from trapped birds in addition to shaft and arrow heads?

The "common accepted" formula is stick + silk for the bow (as you suggested) and flint + stick + feather for the arrows.

other than that the only thing i could want is to be able to throw the spear, could make us have to pick it back up even after we throw it. would be nice to not have to rely entirely on bird traps to catch em. as well as a safer method to kite combat rather than tanking mistakes with wood vest.

That would be an interesting idea.

Edited by mobius187

I understand that the weapons would have to be fairly basic to keep the rustic feel i.e no guns or machine guns or laser death rays. Here are a few suggestions on potential ranged weapons. Let me know what you think and if they would fit the games overal theme.

I will be formatting as follows:

Item-description-crafting recipe

Sling-A small leather sling(not a sling shot) that is used to throw rocks at enemies(non-renewable). Does relatively low damage.-1pig skin, 2 rope

Slingshot-An advanced version of the sling shot that does more damaged and possible has a better range.-1 pig skin, 2 twigs, 2 silk(for the elasticity)

Bow-Fires arrows and heres a fun idea, torches. Light up the distant night by firing a torch away.The bow would do more damage than the slingshot.-3 twigs, 2 silk.

Arrows-Ammo for the bow. Stacks to 40. Crafting should be costly to make bows less op.- 1 flint, 1 twig, 1 feather

Quiver-holds arrow. It would function similarly to the back back, but only have one slot for arrows. I like idea of it taking up the chest spot so you have to sacrifice inventory space or armor for ranged combat.

Feather Hat- It already exists but you could add an effect that increases ranged damage or something or that nature.

Throwing Spear- the basic spear but throwier... would do less damage than the melee spear. Possible sticks in target until death.

Thats all for now. I would love some feedback on possible damage quantities for the weapons to help balance gameplay.

was wishing for a bow and arrow earlier today i dont remember the circumstances but i was wanting one today. i dont thing we need that many kinds of ranged weapons at least not until we get attacking/aggressive flying creatures.

Sling-A small leather sling(not a sling shot) that is used to throw rocks at enemies(non-renewable). Does relatively low damage.-1pig skin, 2 rope

Slings have been suggested, so they're on "the list" of ranged weapons some players think would be acceptable. I'm fine with it, but I suggest that since the sling needs momentum to hurl the stone that you should have to select and hold the RMB on the target for 2-3 seconds before releasing the RMB to "fire" the stone. Otherwise the stone should either fall short or just plop to the ground. The swinging animation could indicate when the necessary speed (i.e. wait time) has been reached.

The added bonus? No spam shooting.

Slingshot-An advanced version of the sling shot that does more damaged and possible has a better range.-1 pig skin, 2 twigs, 2 silk(for the elasticity)

Silk is certainly an option, however in another thread players discussed updating the swamp tree (you know the one) into a rubber tree so as to allow players to collect rubber from it. The rubber could them be used in place of the silk in your crafting formula and require players to have explored all the way to the swamp to craft the slingshot. The added bonus is that the rubber could be used for other inventions too.

Unlike the sling, the slingshot should fire quickly, but deal less damage than the sling.

Bow-Fires arrows and heres a fun idea, torches. Light up the distant night by firing a torch away.The bow would do more damage than the slingshot.-3 twigs, 2 silk.

Flaming arrows...? This reminds me of a Minecraft suggestion thread involving "sticky torches". :)

I agree that a bow, firing arrows of course, should deal more damage than the sling (which, by virtue of the comparison, means it should deal more damage than the slingshot too). As with the sling I suggest that the bow needs a delay between firing arrows, in this case pulling back the drawstring before releasing the arrow. This would prevent arrow spamming (and old Minecraft flashbacks...).

As for the crafting formula, it works. However in another thread it was suggested that maybe bows should be as easily accessible, otherwise why bother with slings/slingshots? Not to mention the benefits of a strong ranged weapon. To this end the suggestion was made to add in a new crafting invention, "string". So just like how we refine grass into rope, we would refine silk into string. How does this delay players getting it? Well the "string invention" would be locked for starters. Also, the bow and arrow would be tier-2 inventions, so you would need to unlock/craft the alchemy machine to access them.

And the kicker. The bow and arrow each have their own crafting formulas and that means they're seperate inventions. You need to unlock the bow and the arrow by researching each one. Obviously one is useless without the other. In total that's 4 unlocks required to get this weapon (string, alchemy machine, bow, arrow).

Arrows-Ammo for the bow. Stacks to 40. Crafting should be costly to make bows less op.- 1 flint, 1 twig, 1 feather

This is the most common crafting formula, although whether arrows should stack as 20 or 40 is open to debate.

Quiver-holds arrow. It would function similarly to the back back, but only have one slot for arrows. I like idea of it taking up the chest spot so you have to sacrifice inventory space or armor for ranged combat.

...oh! You meant "backpack". Gotcha. So you're suggesting a 9-slot chest that's only for arrows? Mmm... pass. I only say that because the Devs are leaning away from containiners within containers, namely allowing you to place multiple arrow stacks into a quiver and then said quiver into another container, like the backpack or chest.

Feather Hat- It already exists but you could add an effect that increases ranged damage or something or that nature.

I don't see how a hat makes things fly farther. Sorry. The feathered hat attracts birds instead... which is semi-logical. :p

Throwing Spear- the basic spear but throwier... would do less damage than the melee spear. Possible sticks in target until death.

Nah. I would Sooner opt that normal spears be throwable than create an entirely new version of an existing weapon just to throw it. That said, being able to throw spears isn't that bad an idea.

Why not add a water bottle to it and heat with a torch for steam powered rifle. Put the steam back in steam punk!

Heh. You misunderstand, I didn't disagree with steam-power, I just found fault in the "flint-power". How does one power things with flint? Maybe it's a typo.

Your ideas sound spot on to me, it adds more depth to combat.. now if they add some spells and 1-4 player co-op this game would be the star of lans everywhere!

Spells... do not want.

The problem I see with projectile weapons is that unless you give them a silly short range, say 3-4" on a 21" monitor (or whatever the range on a tentacle is) what you do is create and EZ mode for farming the most powerful melee weapon in the game (not to mention any other drops), as well as remove the "Uh oh, a swamp" aspect.

The other issue is that range in general can easily become OP in a melee world. The dart gun gets past this by having very limited ammo and not stacking. So it is good for the occasional gooble but is not good for wandering around exploring or taking out spider nests. Once you are into the world of quiver fulls of arrows you are OP.

Now the throwing spear that was mentioned is 1 shot until retrieved and I'm assuming would not stack. If it is costly (say spear + some crow feathers), low damage, and cannot be retrieved until the critter it is stuck in is dead this might help prevent tentacle farming with it.

Your ideas sound spot on to me, it adds more depth to combat.. now if they add some spells and 1-4 player co-op this game would be the star of lans everywhere!
I've played Magicka, it is a fun group game! Edited by Crackhead Johny