Mushrooms!

Yet another idea:

There should be ~5 or 6 varieties of mushroom that you can find. Each variety would have a different effect when eaten (yummy, healthy, poisonous, vomit-inducing (sudden big increase in hunger), visions, etc) and to make it interesting every time you start a new life the effects of the varieties would be randomized (For an example of how this would work compare to pills in The Binding of Isaac.) So when you die you can't come back to life and only eat the good ones - each life would make you have to weigh the rewards and risks because you wouldn't know what they did until you ate one.

A great idea and one that has been made a few times before. Each mushroom could either hurt or strengthen you in a certain aspect and it would greatly fit in the world of Dont Starve, not to mention that it added a lot of fun in the form of pills in TBOI.

I'm all for mushrooms. I suggested them as well back when I was discussing the idea of an underground area (as one of the few food sources). I wouldn't be against mushrooms with different properties, but I would suggest that the various mushroom properties and appearance be randomized for each new map. I noticed that while the pills in the Binding of Isaac were supposedly "unknown effects", once you figured them out based on their colour you knew what to expect from them. This way you may know there's a poisonous mushroom and a hallucinogenic mushroom... as well as tasty mushrooms... but you won't know which is which until you eat them at least once, and then remember later which one had which effect on you.