Thulecite club deserves a buff

Posted (edited)

The thulecite club is not a bad weapon in a vacuum but it has always had issues finding a place within the larger sandbox of DST. While it deals higher damage on average than even the dark sword, its steep cost (requiring the same number of living logs as 3 dark swords, in addition to costing thulecite), the fact that it can only be crafted in the ruins (making it inconvenient to craft unless you specifically plan for it), and the unreliability of shadow tentacles mean that at all stages of the game there's pretty much always a better alternative between the ham bat, dark sword, morning star, and now the new late game weapons.

In my opinion, all the thulecite club needs is a durability buff from 200 to 400. This makes perfect sense in-universe as it's made of thulecite (obviously) and its armor counterparts have some of the highest durability in the game, so it's really odd that the club has only slightly more durability than a spear (in fact, it used to have the same durability as the spear until it was buffed to 200 uses a long time ago). This would also give it a unique role within the DST weapon sandbox; while its damage wouldn't be as reliable as the dark sword, you'd overall be getting more bang for your buck for the living log cost, you wouldn't have to carry so many dark swords (or materials for dark swords) around, and it wouldn't face the same spoilage downside as the ham bat. It would also be very useful for some early game bosses as characters that don't have damage multipliers, as a single thulecite club would be enough for most of the bosses (with 2 being enough for even toadstool). This would make it more of a ham bat competitor that dishes out more damage but you have to go out of your way to get.

There's also an argument to be made for making the shadow tentacles start attacking sooner (for more consistent damage) and remove their sanity drain (so they don't feel like a detriment)

Edited by Guille6785
  • Like 13
  • GL Happy 2

Posted (edited)

I already love my club as its a great pseudo walking cane, something that isnt guaranteed on fuller servers, but Id love a durability buff.

400 is a bit high, but still within reason imo as it is ruins treasure. No longer lategame since the rifts but still deserving of being superior than surface gear imo especially with there being a limit to thule (Yes, regeneration, but that can open rifts now, and gets you a better weapon)

Edited by Brago-sama
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

unreliability of shadow tentacles

What if they followed enemies? (either by just moving across the ground or popping in and out to stab the enemy)

Yeah. I think DST's simplicity kind of leads to a smaller meta. Without many stats to consider like range, attack speed, etc, it's hard for a lot of weapons to remain viable or memorable. Planar weapons, cheap but simple Dark Swords, glass cutters, etc kind of make it hard for the Thulecite club to find it's niche. I think 400 uses would be perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't mind if DST looks into using additional stats to adjust tools and weapons for but then again the game would need decent overhauls to account for those. 

I think upping the thulecite club durability to 400 with no other changes is fine. I think, with the recommended change, the niche it would fill would still be very narrow with all of the other weapon options out there.

The ruins crafting requirement is a major downside for the tclub, since weapons are usually the thing you use durability on the fastest. Extra durability would help alleviate but not solve that problem.

For me, a change like this would not alter the way I play (very rarely use tclubs), maybe for others it would have a bigger impact and incentivise their use more.

Personally, I mostly use clubs as a budget prewinter cane if I get one from AG loot.

14 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

In my opinion, all the thulecite club needs is a durability buff from 200 to 400. This makes perfect sense in-universe as it's made of thulecite (obviously) and its armor counterparts have some of the highest durability in the game, so it's really odd that the club has only slightly more durability than a spear (in fact, it used to have the same durability as the spear until it was buffed to 200 uses a long time ago). This would also give it a unique role within the DST weapon sandbox; while its damage wouldn't be as reliable as the dark sword, you'd overall be getting more bang for your buck for the living log cost, you wouldn't have to carry so many dark swords (or materials for dark swords) around, and it wouldn't face the same spoilage downside as the ham bat. It would also be very useful for some early game bosses as characters that don't have damage multipliers, as a single thulecite club would be enough for most of the bosses (with 2 being enough for even toadstool). This would make it more of a ham bat competitor that dishes out more damage but you have to go out of your way to get.

I think rather than a 20% spawn chance for tentacles it can be a guaranteed tentacle every five hits, and its durability could be increased just to 300.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Third Porkus said:

I think rather than a 20% spawn chance for tentacles it can be a guaranteed tentacle every five hits, and its durability could be increased just to 300.

I would love to remove the rng component of things like tentacle spawn or the crown shield

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Worth noting that you can use a construction amulet to bump the living log cost down to just 1, although that also adds the construction amulet cost for every 5 clubs crafted. So yeah I agree I think a buff would be nice.

Edited by finn from human

4 minutes ago, finn from human said:

Worth noting that you can use a construction amulet to bump the living log cost down to just 1, although that also adds the construction amulet cost for every 5 clubs crafted. So yeah I agree I think a buff would be nice.

it's 2 with a construction amulet

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

RNG component, requirement of high cost or green amulet use, unreliable spawning of extra damage from tenticles... Yea it's not very lategame nor the 200 durability did it enough justice. Removing the randomness from it and having higher durability would do a lot for it.

Better yet, if we were shadow aligned it could be that the chance to spawn would increase or at least remove chance and add consistency to the cursed weapon as a shadow magic user.

If neither of those options would work, the fact that it's size varies with the forge and other skins I'd think of the weapon both as a weapon and a shield we could use to block a hit. Think about it. It would be a lot more strategic overall if the item had more uses considering the cost. Personally I'm all up for giving it higher or better stats, but I'd rather have it have more value in strategy than just more boring additions.

Pairing with the crown it could cost durability from it too, or make help cast barrier.

Thulecite club block ability please!

1 hour ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

RNG component, requirement of high cost or green amulet use, unreliable spawning of extra damage from tenticles... Yea it's not very lategame nor the 200 durability did it enough justice. Removing the randomness from it and having higher durability would do a lot for it.

Better yet, if we were shadow aligned it could be that the chance to spawn would increase or at least remove chance and add consistency to the cursed weapon as a shadow magic user.

If neither of those options would work, the fact that it's size varies with the forge and other skins I'd think of the weapon both as a weapon and a shield we could use to block a hit. Think about it. It would be a lot more strategic overall if the item had more uses considering the cost. Personally I'm all up for giving it higher or better stats, but I'd rather have it have more value in strategy than just more boring additions.

Pairing with the crown it could cost durability from it too, or make help cast barrier.

Thulecite club block ability please!

if it's anything like the battle rond that would only be useful in like 2 bossfights so I'd rather have a more universally applicable buff

How about the thulecite club loses durability at the half rate for a few minutes after multiple consecutive hits? Since you're going to go fight clockworks, shadow creatures, AG with it anyway, making it last longer in a long combat situation would be very practical. Meanwhile, it'd break quicker when used on small encounters like bunnymen and tier 1-2 spider dens.

Edited by Beetrice
  • Sanity 1