Wurt mains what do you think about this?

First i have to say that i dont main wurt and i think she is a pretty mid character, however she has the potential to be a really interesting character and thats cause her perks and the introduction of skill trees. I see Wurt like a character with 2 main perks, the expansion and usage of mermfolks and the encourage to use ocean stuff early game. But right now both abilities are pretty meh, Wurt doesnt really have a good ability to explore the ocean early game, even wolfgang and woodie can explore the ocean better than her, that alone says a lot about this character, and the use of merms is good but its a bit boring, right now webber is a lot more funny to use cause all the diversity in spiders family(they are all over the world), meanwhile wurt is limited by swamp flooring, like come on she say that she has big plans for the merms but those plans are really meh.

Just think about it for a moment, merms are one of the most limited followers in terms of existence in the world, they are only found in the swamp and every wurt main i meet has a kingdom in this flooring with the same boring merms, no diversity, no good and funny way to conquer the ocean or the caves(there are no merms in caves for some reason so wurt has to make a new kingdom there from nothing).

Now with skill tress she has an opportunity to be a lot more fun and in line with her perks and her dialogues of expanding merms territory(not only making new swamp all over the place but adapting to new places instead of adapting places to them).

My ideas for a skill tree are these and i expect true Wurt mains to tell me what do they think.

Encourage ocean early game exploration(i know klei said they want to update the ocean later), Wurt is a merm and should have a good ability to explore the ocean better than all the others characteres, im talking about making wurt being able to craft a new item, maybe a new raft that only she can use that doesnt need an oar, only wurt using her legs to sail, or just give her the ability to swim.

More affinity with fishes, maybe let wurt have better chances to catch big fish or the ability to dont scare fishes or something to make ocean fishing more appealing using her cause right now ocean fishing is one of the most boring things to do in this game. Or give her a new craft to catch fishes easily, something like that, im not talking about a massive way to get fishes like wicker books but come on, make wurt, a MERM, a better ocean character.

My second idea is to make wurk create different types of merms but not as simple as a new house in the same boring swamp. i had this idea for weeks, what if wurt get the ability to make 2 more ways to expand merms but evolving them. Im talking about adapting to new territories.

Ocean merms structures.- A Wurt new skill tree let her make new structures in the middle of the ocean, new floating merms structures, new craftmerm ocean houses, you are gonna need a new item the black extract of kelp(you need to toss this item to one part of the ocean to turn it into an available merm ocean territory), a new ocean farm structure that let wurt farm kelp and some few fishes(of course all this have to be placed in the ocean in merm territory), and finally a new royal ocean tapestry for a new ocean king.

Ocean merm.- They adapted and now have the ability to swim, they are pretty neutral instead of normal merms, they can fight ocean creatures but they are not that strong, they love kelp but are not easy to befriend(only one merm per food given, not like actual merms that you can befriend some merms with just a berry). They can sound a little mid but remember that crab king exist and monkeys too so they can be very good followers on ocean even if their damage and health are reduced.

Ocean King buff.- Remember only one king per world. If you choose the ocean type king, he is going to buff all merms like usual even ocean merms but wurt is gonna get a special buff, istead of having her stats buffed, she is gonna be faster at swimming and is gonna get the ability to submerge in water to catch a lot of fishes easily without a bait, get ocean debris and even sunken chests(this ability has a cooldown). With the ocean king alive, the ocean merm water is gonna expand on their own without you using the black extract of kelp to make new territory, however this has a limit of only 4 new tiles around the square of every merm water tile the player create, and if there is no space around that square then the new tile is not gonna be created(so you only new to make one tile of black merm water to create 4 extra tiles around it if the king is alive)

Abyssal Merms structures.- A Wurt new skill tree let her make new structures deep into the caves, she can now craft a new swamp glowing fungal flooring(this floor can only be placed in caves, not in the surface, cause levels of ph or whatever excuse you made for this), in these special flooring she can place a new craftmerm cave house(these houses have a blue-white glow in the dark). She can craft the swamp fungus light, a new type of glowing structure that can only use mushroom spores as fuel and they spoil slower(this is a little worst than mushroom lamps and only works in the new glowing fungal flooring). She can craft the new abyssal royal tapestry.

Abyssal merms.- They adapted and now they have some special abilities, they can glow in the dark,(they have the appearence of wurt abbysal skin and the glow in a blue-white color), they are pretty agressive and sometimes when they take damage let a cloud of blue venom(just like toadstool this cloud makes damage over time, but it is less damage than toadstool clouds, last a lot less and doesnt spoils things), their stats are the same that normal merms and they get the same buff when any type of king is alive in the caves.

Abyssal King buff.- If you choose the abyssal king over the normal one, he is not gonna buff your stats, however he is gonna give wurt the ability to glow in the dark like the others abyssal merms, she is gonna be inmune to all mushroom debuff like losing health with red caps, sanity with green caps or bein drowsy with moon shrooms.(dont worry about not losing enough sanity to farm nightmare fuel, remember that you are in the caves, and theres a buch of ways to to lose big amount of sanity here). And the new swamp fungus lights are gonna be turned one forever even without any spores inside them(remember that you need the king to be alive for this and the fungus swamp lights dont really have a big light radius and they are not gonna be cheap to make)

And of course she can have new skills for the normal merms and guards, i just made this cause i think having the opportunity to make a main base, or a new kingdom in other places that are not the normal swamp can be very funny, i like to make my bases in interesting places, like having my main base at the graveyard with wendy or in a spider forest with webber, i always try to make a good base at ocean but its frustrating cause i need a lot of boats and at the end is an ugly base so maybe wurt can be my girl to try to make a solid ocean base idk. We will see in her update. And again thanks for reading forum folks

• Health 1

Personally, I wouldn't get much use out of either merm type, but I do like the idea of ocean merm structures a lot. It would look really cool. Also some ocean perks would be cool, yeah. 

Posted (edited)

I was just thinking about Ocean content for Wurt which is ironic because Ocean Merms and Abyssal Merms are exactly what I thought up as well.

But I agree with a lot of your suggestions, Wurt is literally an Amphibious Creature, she's the Gillman of DST, WalterWater should be her dominion..

MakeMermStrong.jpg.ef38b0d5661353cf83f6b08a35506c42.jpg

She needs a reason to go into the Ocean other than getting Kelp for Merm King, being the only survivor who can make an efficient Ocean base would give her a niche no one else has and a new playstyle. Also, it seems the Swamp is always generated next to the Ocean, so I can see Ocean Species Merms being a thing.

Wurt, Merms, and Frogs should be swimming(also this will fix the problem of Merms never returning home, because they got stuck on a wall), Merms should be found in the Ocean, and the Cave Marsh and Tidal Marsh should return.

Also, not Merm related but Ocean related still what about a Pig Navy to combat the Monkey Pirates?

Edited by Daszkal

I like the implied acknowledgement that freshwater organisms don't do well in salt water, like salt water crocs can just somewhat tolerate it for a short time.

But more strongly, I dread interacting with empty abyss of the ocean.

Wurt is already a bit too late game for my preferences, at least once enough resources are centralized it gets progressively easier to amass and transplant a bigger merm civilization. But you can't centralize resources in the water void ... and even if you could, there's no benefit to it, low access wood, rocks, grass, twigs, a bad fit for a character who shines after building a lot of structures

I get the appeal of put the fish in water, but this fish and this water don't mix well