Don’t Starve from a brand new perspective! (not Wonkey..)

First of all this thread is NOT about Wonkey.. Secondly it probably won’t mean Anything to PC Players, But for Everyone playing on Xbox, PlayStation & Nintendo Switch this post might be something interesting to You.

I read that Klei had added Button Bindings to Xbox version of DST and also Camera Zoom however, Zooming in & Out is Unbinded to any button action UNLESS you go into settings and bind a Configuration for it.

In the video clip I will provide below I bound Mine to Up on the D-pad to Zoom outward and Down on the D-pad to zoom inward, and then I used an Blank (empty storage slot) to perform these actions…

However, it Clashes with other button Inputs, As we know Down on D-pad will drop an item from your Inventory if hovering over an Item, Or More importantly… it’s used to Craft Items in your Quick Crafting Tab.

There are currently NO Ingame button Configuration options for Quick Crafting, (if there was I would assign mine to the A Button like the button to Craft items in the Full Craft tab is ALREADY Assigned to…)

What this means is that while my above video makes Camera Zooming functional, it Also means that anytime you try to use your quick craft tab that You’ll be Zooming your camera each time.

My Next Idea was to change Down on D-pad to Y, and this Won’t work because Y in the game will pull up your Skill Tree, a Quick Work Around that I have found (which is the one I ultimately settled on using for now..) is To drop an item on the ground or to inspect a Nearby Tree to trigger my Camera Zooming effect.

Yes this requires you to drop or be near to an item, but Otherwise Y pulls up your skill Tree tab and overrides the other actions.

My last Idea is probably going to be bind it to map rotation (LB or RB spinning the map left or right also zooms the camera in and out)

Im sharing this because I bet there’s ALOT of console playing DST players who had no idea we can now zoom in and out for further away or closer up points of View & something this important shouldn’t be hidden in obscurity!

It literally feels like playing a whole new game at closer camera angles :):wilson_love:

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

First of all this thread is NOT about Wonkey.. Secondly it probably won’t mean Anything to PC Players, But for Everyone playing on Xbox, PlayStation & Nintendo Switch this post might be something interesting to You.

I read that Klei had added Button Bindings to Xbox version of DST and also Camera Zoom however, Zooming in & Out is Unbinded to any button action UNLESS you go into settings and bind a Configuration for it.

In the video clip I will provide below I bound Mine to Up on the D-pad to Zoom outward and Down on the D-pad to zoom inward, and then I used an Blank (empty storage slot) to perform these actions…

e7827d0b-ce3f-4715-a06d-edcdab671133.mov 62.25 MB · 0 downloads  

However, it Clashes with other button Inputs, As we know Down on D-pad will drop an item from your Inventory if hovering over an Item, Or More importantly… it’s used to Craft Items in your Quick Crafting Tab.

There are currently NO Ingame button Configuration options for Quick Crafting, (if there was I would assign mine to the A Button like the button to Craft items in the Full Craft tab is ALREADY Assigned to…)

What this means is that while my above video makes Camera Zooming functional, it Also means that anytime you try to use your quick craft tab that You’ll be Zooming your camera each time.

My Next Idea was to change Down on D-pad to Y, and this Won’t work because Y in the game will pull up your Skill Tree, a Quick Work Around that I have found (which is the one I ultimately settled on using for now..) is To drop an item on the ground or to inspect a Nearby Tree to trigger my Camera Zooming effect.

Yes this requires you to drop or be near to an item, but Otherwise Y pulls up your skill Tree tab and overrides the other actions.

My last Idea is probably going to be bind it to map rotation (LB or RB spinning the map left or right also zooms the camera in and out)

Im sharing this because I bet there’s ALOT of console playing DST players who had no idea we can now zoom in and out for further away or closer up points of View & something this important shouldn’t be hidden in obscurity!

It literally feels like playing a whole new game at closer camera angles :):wilson_love:

I'm already aware that controllers are capable of zooming in and out.

I use L3 to zoom in and R3 to zoom out, and they work well enough for me; perhaps you could give that a shot, assuming those inputs exist on your controller?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reecitz said:

I'm already aware that controllers are capable of zooming in and out.

I use L3 to zoom in and R3 to zoom out, and they work well enough for me; perhaps you could give that a shot, assuming those inputs exist on your controller?

L3 & R3 are already bound to Target Locking & the Social Interaction Menu, did you unbind these to assign map zoom?

I rarely ever use map rotation when I play DST, so I’m considering just Unbinding those two buttons to assign to Map Zoom, I haven’t tested this out yet but I’ll let you know how it goes.

Personally I’d love to be able to assign Tap, Double Tap or Held in button presses to the same button.

(Y to Inspect stuff, Double Tap Y to open skill tree, Hold in Y to Zoom map in, etc..)

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

L3 & R3 are already bound to Target Locking & the Social Interaction Menu, did you unbind these to assign map zoom?

I rarely ever use map rotation when I play DST, so I’m considering just Unbinding those two buttons to assign to Map Zoom, I haven’t tested this out yet but I’ll let you know how it goes.

Personally I’d love to be able to assign Tap, Double Tap or Held in button presses to the same button.

(Y to Inspect stuff, Double Tap Y to open skill tree, Hold in Y to Zoom map in, etc..)

What Target Locking?

And yes, I unbound Social Interaction since that's something I can already access from the pause menu; I don't really check Social Interaction anyway, and even if I did, it's not important enough to bind it to a button like that.

Also, it's pretty obvious that we all yearn for the day they implement more advanced controller controls to DST, like long presses, double-taps, selection wheels, etc. I'm even gonna pull a Mike here and mention Rotwood's emote wheel (R1 + any of the 4 main buttons does an emote) to prove that Klei is definitely aware of, and actively uses, advanced controls like that.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

What Target Locking?

And yes, I unbound Social Interaction since that's something I can already access from the pause menu; I don't really check Social Interaction anyway, and even if I did, it's not important enough to bind it to a button like that.

Also, it's pretty obvious that we all yearn for the day they implement more advanced controller controls to DST, like long presses, double-taps, selection wheels, etc. I'm even gonna pull a Mike here and mention Rotwood's emote wheel (R1 + any of the 4 main buttons does an emote) to prove that Klei is definitely aware of, and actively uses, advanced controls like that.

Target locking is where the game locks on to an enemy that you’re currently looking at so you don’t accidentally attack a different enemy. You do that by clicking in L3 on the analog stick. Social Interaction (R3) is where you pull up your character Emote wheel to perform cute emotes like perform a toast or sing the Starvers Carol.

Edited by Mike23Ua