Idea for a social Hub to incentivise co-operation

I had idea ways back for player player vs player interaction. A "hub" place of sort akin to the map of two worlds in adventure mode. Essentially a custom map with a "paradise" where characters can't easily die and one where there are enemies.

The point of such a hub would be so players can interact with each other at low stakes and go on to make private lobbys of their own with the people they interact with. I think if there was social world type lobby (that's very small and everything respawns quickly) people can opt to be more social and I feel like being more social with others makes people less inclined to grief (or the very least avoid trolls as trolls can self report with their behavior). Also the hub can double at teaching/players teaching newbies how to play the game. 

Or something like that.

Just in game "general chat" could be nice. One you can opt in and out of before selecting a lobby.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 6
  • Sanity 1
  • GL Happy 1

I would love that. Some sort of Nexus where everyone can chill and talk. Klei could make some puzzle quests and minigames too so people can collect stuff.

• Like 2

It's true, DST imo is not a calm game where you can hang and not do much of anything. I feel like this is because of a few reasons: 1 the immediate dangers of nighttime that need to be prepped for. 2: the constant danger of starving. 3: the lurking dangers of sanity drain during dusk/night & needing to fight sanity creatures. 4: the periodic hound attacks 5: the impending dangers of seasonal change and temperature dmg.

If all 5 of these factors can be eliminated in a world, then players could chill easily and socialize. Apparently, the first two are eliminated in the "Relaxed mode" and the other 3 are pretty mitigated.

Don’t Starve & Don’t Starve Together both have this pretty little menu full of options you can toggle on and off or increase & decrease the intensity of.

I should be the spokesman for more world Gen and world Gen option toggles at this point in my (rather exhausting..) career of being an active forum member- And you would think that as many times as I have said “In a game full of options, it could really use a lot more options.” 
That it would be stuck in everyone’s head at this point.

Sadly I’ve come to realize that I’m fighting a losing battle (just see my other thread about reusing already existing animations and assets to create NEW gameplay experiences out of Only content that already exists within the game, I Intentionally let the thread slip into obscurity because I several lack the skill or motivation to showcase all the ways Old Content can create New Content experiences.)

Anyway.. my point is that your best options (haha I made a funny..!) is to toggle world Gen settings and turn off everything you dislike or just don’t feel like dealing with.. about the game.

here’s an excellent example- If you set season lengths to Shortest (6 game days) you will eventually HATE every time Deerclops or Bearger shows up that you’ll groan & ignore them or get to the point that you toggle them off entirely.

While your idea is okay, it does raise many questions.

Such as: If players can wall off the entry/exit points to trap players. Or if it requires additional server shards.

I honestly feel like the best way to introduce someone to Don’t Starve or Don’t Starve Together is to let everything be toggled to on by default, and then As the player plays the game and experiences the content- They can Adjust settings & difficulty for it as they deem necessary.

But.. you will never know what to toggle to “Off” if you don’t experience to find out you don’t like it first.

• Wavey 1

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Don’t Starve & Don’t Starve Together both have this pretty little menu full of options you can toggle on and off or increase & decrease the intensity of.

I should be the spokesman for more world Gen and world Gen option toggles at this point in my (rather exhausting..) career of being an active forum member- And you would think that as many times as I have said “In a game full of options, it could really use a lot more options.” 
That it would be stuck in everyone’s head at this point.

Sadly I’ve come to realize that I’m fighting a losing battle (just see my other thread about reusing already existing animations and assets to create NEW gameplay experiences out of Only content that already exists within the game, I Intentionally let the thread slip into obscurity because I several lack the skill or motivation to showcase all the ways Old Content can create New Content experiences.)

Anyway.. my point is that your best options (haha I made a funny..!) is to toggle world Gen settings and turn off everything you dislike or just don’t feel like dealing with.. about the game.

here’s an excellent example- If you set season lengths to Shortest (6 game days) you will eventually HATE every time Deerclops or Bearger shows up that you’ll groan & ignore them or get to the point that you toggle them off entirely.

While your idea is okay, it does raise many questions.

Such as: If players can wall off the entry/exit points to trap players. Or if it requires additional server shards.

I honestly feel like the best way to introduce someone to Don’t Starve or Don’t Starve Together is to let everything be toggled to on by default, and then As the player plays the game and experiences the content- They can Adjust settings & difficulty for it as they deem necessary.

But.. you will never know what to toggle to “Off” if you don’t experience to find out you don’t like it first.

None of this is what the OP is talking about Mike. 

I think that's a really nice idea @HowlVoid, would be nice to have a chill area - especially as it'll help fill out servers with people you can trust.

• Health 1

15 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

What's the difference between your hub and a base?

The stakes I guess, a base can be burned down while I'm away and lose all progress. There'd also be less of a push to be productive and just hand around talking to peeps.