Wilson's skill tree is a bit over a year old now, and Klei still didn't do any changes on the worst part of it. (A.k.a a rant over the torch tree.)

4 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

There were also many ideas including endothermic torches, Beard-rolls, Abilty to dupe or create blueprints etc.

These are the type of "major" skills I was always imagining and other characters do get stupid cool stuff like this while Wilson gets absolutely jack.

Bro basically got all his perks divided into pieces and sold separately as morsels of disappointment until you've got them all like MF EXODIA and even then it's still not spectacular or anything. 

Why did he need 3 perks for both beard growth rate and insulation SEPARATELY?

If his skills are gonna be so crap compared to everyone else's why don't they just give him his "major" skills immediately aka torch toss and beard storage so players don't need to invest so "heavily" right off the bat it would open up way more options too.

Edited by Cloakingsumo198
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Why did he need 3 perks for both beard growth rate and insulation SEPARATELY?

No, this one is fine. I prefer default beard growth time instead of having to remember the changed timer due to the growth perk.

That said tho, I think it could be condensed, maybe just 2 tiers instead of 3.

Edited by Anis5240

3 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

When I play Wilson I want a pure game experience only.

As someone said in here before, you can simply not allocate any insight points onto his skill tree and boom, you got the default Wilson.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Wilson still hasn't received a proper rework, more like

Hah, more like he will NEVER get one, since Klei was absolutely determined to make him the "default" experience for DST. The skill tree was a DECENT ATTEMPT at best, but was ruined by the glaring flaw which is the torch tree.

3 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

As someone said in here before, you can simply not allocate any insight points onto his skill tree and boom, you got the default Wilson.

And as I complained before, doing so causes the insight pop up to appear daily and klei refuse to fix it. But I mentioned it just because you're the only one who makes Wilson discussions so I talked about him a bit. It's not related to torch skill tree, I actually agree with you, if they gonna give Wilson optional perks they may as well give good ones. 

Personally, I used all 10 alchemy skills, lunar affinity (obviously), 3 beard skills (all for insulation) and the last one for 1 torch skill probably the longevity. I don't like beard storage it looks stupid and overlaps with moist meter, but I'd use it if klei will add a feature to close beard like backpack. And I don't see the point in faster beard since you can just never shave it. I only use thermal stone for summer anyways or go caves, and for klaus it's a good excuse to use ice staff for something. Can't imagen needing a shadow affinity, that skill is a scam. Duping dreadstone using armor and turning fuel into more dreadstone is somehow still less efficient then making dreadstone walls and then smashing them. I also don't like torch throw as you can throw it on accident while trying to light a tree or something. 

25 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I don't like beard storage it looks stupid and overlaps with moist meter

That's weird, I always have beard storage perk and the slots never overlap with the moist meter. Then again, maybe it's due to the Combined Status mod so lol.

27 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

if they gonna give Wilson optional perks they may as well give good ones.

This I can agree with. Wilson basically only got 3 areas to cover as a whole (the affinity perks didn't count, obviously), which already limits the creativity of what could have been. We see so many combat perks in other characters, I think a passive-support could fit Wilson well. A medic Wilson will be awesome to have in the base DST.

But this is also the game where most characters can just spam pierogi for healing so lmao

12 minutes ago, Anis5240 said:

This I can agree with. Wilson basically only got 3 areas to cover as a whole (the affinity perks didn't count, obviously), which already limits the creativity of what could have been. We see so many combat perks in other characters, I think a passive-support could fit Wilson well. A medic Wilson will be awesome to have in the base DST.

But this is also the game where most characters can just spam pierogi for healing so lmao

Perhaps Wilson could take a lot less damage from crafting revive heart and meat effigy, and also not cause cancer when he uses hearts on comrades. I think loading tips imply that he is the creator of reviver, and the meat effigy is obviously his too. It would be a polite perk, some people would rather stay dead than get that black tumor on their meter, and I assume 40 health to revive a guy who already proved he cannot keep himself alive is a waste to some players. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Bro basically got all his perks divided into pieces and sold separately as morsels of disappointment until you've got them all like MF EXODIA and even then it's still not spectacular or anything. 

The more I think of this, yes I do agree with you. Sure, some of the transmutes are my favorites (twig-log and meat-morsel transmutes, and currently spamming the rocks -> cut stone -> marble -> moon rock one lol) but the fact that parts of a transmute level only offers ONE transmute and its reverse kinda sucks.

Why not Klei makes them varied for each level? Like, the hound tooth-bone shard transmute can be included in the same level as the beefalo wool-beard hair transmute.

Edited by Anis5240

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

And I don't see the point in faster beard since you can just never shave it.

I can see this being redundant, especially with the Transmute Icky II; where you can turn beefalo wool into beard hair and vice versa. One can simply mass shaving the beefalo available and use the wools for beard hair as needed.

There's one notable time when my friends and I played in a Klei server, and there were only 2 beefalos around. I had to shave my beard to make a spare winter hat for my friend. This shows that the transmutation tree can be great, if only Klei considers to branch it out more.

31 minutes ago, Anis5240 said:

I can see this being redundant, especially with the Transmute Icky II; where you can turn beefalo wool into beard hair and vice versa. One can simply mass shaving the beefalo available and use the wools for beard hair as needed.

There's one notable time when my friends and I played in a Klei server, and there were only 2 beefalos around. I had to shave my beard to make a spare winter hat for my friend. This shows that the transmutation tree can be great, if only Klei considers to branch it out more.

Why would you use clothes and not a thermal stone? 

1 hour ago, Anis5240 said:

The more I think of this, yes I do agree with you. Sure, some of the transmutes are my favorites (twig-log and meat-morsel transmutes, and currently spamming the rocks -> cut stone -> marble -> moon rock one lol)

What would you need moon rocks for? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Why would you use clothes and not a thermal stone? 

Oh, we had enough for thermal stones. Too bad that world has only one walrus camp so it got competitive real hard for people to get the Tam and the tusk lol.

That said, I usually have a winter hat, the magnificent beard and a thermal stone for winter until I get the Tam that is. Does it sound stupid? I guess so lel.

12 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

What would you need moon rocks for? 

Plenty of things, I suppose; mostly for farming Celestial Champion nowadays for the tall chests. Or moon rock walls for decorations/moon idols for character switching, etc.

Edited by Anis5240

5 minutes ago, Anis5240 said:

Oh, we had enough for thermal stones. Too bad that world has only one walrus camp so it got competitive real hard for people to get the Tam and the tusk lol.

That said, I usually have a winter hat, the magnificent beard and a thermal stone for winter until I get the Tam that is. Does it sound stupid? I guess so lel.

Is there any point in using both thermal stone and winter hat? 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I guess? :wilson_ecstatic: I too use the full beard insulation perk, and it's good enough for a winter day without needing much heat. Basically I just need the heat at night, then rinse and repeat. I had made a video test of Wilson with the full insulation perk + thermal stone + the Tam o Shanter and yes, it lasted over a day.

I did take off the Tam in favor of the Enlightened Crown during the night though, so the actual time may be a bit longer than expected.

Edited by Anis5240

25 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

there isn't, they don't stack, insulation with thermal stone is only useful after it goes gray/after it goes yellow/blue if you have enough insulation for your temperature to not reach the temperature that thermal stone'll keep you at before it becomes gray 

Posted (edited)

I will try to come out with a concept of an improved version of Wilson's skill tree but it's probably going to be rather lengthy and I may take some inspiration from you lots :wilsconnivingsmile: (and some of you may not going to agree with what I have in mind). But until then, we really need Klei to see how stupid the torch tree is.

Edited by Anis5240
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

He even has it in the forge.

Yes, I had mentioned it at a later part of this post. If you are interested, feel free to head to this post and give other cool suggestions! :wilson_wink: We need to boost up Klei's interest to fix up Wilson's skill tree for real.

• Like 2