My concept of Wilson's (improved) skill tree.

Hello, everyone! :wilson_lightbulb: After the engaging conversations I have with some people in the forums regarding Wilson's skill tree as seen here, I'd like to share what I have come up with to make our beloved gentleman scientist remains relevant in DST. Feel free to leave feedbacks and other suggestions! :wilson_love:

export2024042521572744132.png.1b37aef9893ad0bd6bede9d20e37ad06.png

A rough look at the "improved" skill tree. The pictures below are the explanations for said perks. (So sorry if they seem wonky, I cobbled this up in Medibang Paint mobile lmao)

export202404252219443635.png.843b99619f300248d3e5ddd49adcebbc.pngexport2024042522522942172.png.40101c2abb37b48cf2d3991e81132bd4.pngexport2024042522555143482.png.ab3bff2c02652e9273549dfa21c83ce6.png

(Lmao, it's 10% less damage received from lunar mobs at the Lunar Vanguard perk, I forgot to type it XD)

I'd like to extend my thanks to @mkemal23 and @Echsrickfor some of the ideas, they are pretty creative! :wilson_cool:

And as always, we Wilson players MUST KEEP VOICING OUR OPINIONS to Klei so they will consider to make changes that befitting the man that once conquered the Constant with the power of his mind.

Edited by Anis5240
  • Like 2
  • Health 4

Here's some feedback:

- Light

How does a miner hat act like a lantern? Does it emit light even while on the ground? If so, I'd totally get that.
Setting mobs on fire from afar would have few situations where I'd use it, but I'd definitely do that more often instead of crafting a fire staff.
I suppose the endothermic torch is meant make you cold, maybe to the degree of a whirly fan. Sure, I'd use that! 

- Heal

I don't think people will bother holding off healing just so Wilson can do it for them. The first ability is not all that useful and the last will be used for very few crafts.
If one of these trees had to be removed or reworked, it should be this one.

- Beard

Most of these perks are more or less trivial, but the added protection would definitely be worth it.

- Transmutation

:wilson_goodjob:

- Inventor

The second perk could solve the debates between players on who should get boss blueprints. Just have a Wilson available and everyone gets it!
The other two perks would be useful mostly in early game, which is good for short-term worlds.

- Affinities

The shadow affinity seems cool! I've always wanter Wilson to gain something from his time as king in the gameplay or the lore, anything.
The lunar affinity feels lacking. I get that scrap tends to pile up, but is that really that Wagstaff can offer to a fellow scientist?

• Like 2

Nice suggestions, Here's some of my balancing ideas:

• Torch longevity: 
  1. (I) Increases durabilty by %32 instead of %16
  2. (II) Increases durabilty by %64 instead of %32
  3. (III) Increases durabilty by %100 instead of %50 And gives player ability to repair torches with twigs and grass.
  • Torch Range:
  1. (III) Now holding torches gives players 45 points of insulation.
  • Torch toss:
  1. Now synergies with Torch range III, Allowing players to create weak campfires.
  • Transmute Icky:
  1. (II) New recipe: Three beefalo wool to one bunny puff, one bunny puff to two beefalo wool.
  2. (III) New recipe: Three spider gland to one Pig skin, one pig skin to two spider gland.
  • Other changes:
  1. Restored Wilson beta idle animation.
  2. Transmutaion skill now have different crafting animations.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Garett Skott said:

How does a miner hat act like a lantern? Does it emit light even while on the ground? If so, I'd totally get that.

Yes, you can toggle it on or off like a lantern. Usually the miner hat will be automatically turned off when on the ground.

The lunar affinity feels lacking. I get that scrap tends to pile up, but is that really that Wagstaff can offer to a fellow scientist?

Oh, I will admit I had a hard time thinking what really suits the Wagstaff connection Wilson seems to have right now. But I also find the crestfallen look Wilson had after realizing the radio's actual secret in Interference was very interesting. So maybe that's why his lunar perk seems a bit lame compared to others. (And that most skill trees favor lunar affinity anyway. I'd like to have someone whose shadow affinity is considered better than lunar for once. :wilson_wink:)

I suppose the endothermic torch is meant make you cold, maybe to the degree of a whirly fan. Sure, I'd use that!

Oh yes, it's basically just a torch that gives blue cold fire instead lol. I find the endothermic campfire pretty restricting since one gotta make sure the fire seems worth the cost of placing it down. Even with the watering can/ice box trick, I think people would like it more if you can have a personal cold fire starter that you can bring along everywhere without having to spend tons of nitre especially when roaming/sailing around the surface during summer. More options for cooling down on-the-go in summer is always welcomed in my opinion.

Edited by Anis5240

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It shouldnt be locked to a character especially.

True, true; but I suspect Klei may have this same idea for Winona's skill tree so who knows to be honest. And even then, Klei already made characters to have their exclusive items via the skill trees; examples being the Battle Rönd and the Brambleshade Armor. That said, this idea wasn't exactly mine, it was @mkemal23's.

16 hours ago, mkemal23 said:
  • Transmute Icky:
  1. (II) New recipe: Three beefalo wool to one bunny puff, one bunny puff to two beefalo wool.
  2. (III) New recipe: Three spider gland to one Pig skin, one pig skin to two spider gland.

Oh, I'd really love to add this too, but I also don't want the transmutation tree to be so packed. Just the important items are taken into consideration, although having a way to get bunny puffs without needing to rely on the terrible RNG is a decent idea. :wilson_love:

16 hours ago, mkemal23 said:
  • Other changes:
  1. Restored Wilson beta idle animation.
  2. Transmutaion skill now have different crafting animations.

For sure. I'd love it if Klei makes a custom animation for Wilson's transmutes.

Edited by Anis5240
  • Like 1
  • Happy Hazard 1

21 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

True, true; but I suspect Klei may have this same idea for Winona's skill tree so who knows to be honest. And even then, Klei already made characters to have their exclusive items via the skill trees; examples being the Battle Rönd and the Brambleshade Armor. That said, this idea wasn't exactly mine, it was @mkemal23's.

Those points are unrelated to what i said. Those exclusive item crafts dont have anything to do with duping blueprints, and they wont implement it in Winona's tree. Being able to kill bee queen for example, and then duping the bundling wrap is op and unhealthy.

Now Wilson is essential in multiplayer servers. When a player kills a boss, they basically are forced to not use the blueprint and wait until they find a Wilson with duping materials, or be seen as uncoperative and selfish, or wasteful at the least. Its so unnatural.

A Wilson could just dupe tons of blueprints and make fighting some bosses or visiting some areas again completly worthless. It wont be fun either on the reciever end, since you basically have every done for you without playing the game or having challenge.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

A Wilson could just dupe tons of blueprints and make fighting some bosses or visiting some areas again completly worthless. It wont be fun either on the reciever end, since you basically have every done for you without playing the game or having challenge.

No? The bosses can still be spawned every 20 days. And it's not like a Walter can shoot every crow and instantly gets a black feather each. And besides, there had been many cases where a player learns the blueprint and then logs off almost immediately. Not everyone is willing to wait 20 days for another fight and to get the blueprint again. Think of it as a failsafe plan.

Edited by Anis5240

23 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

That said, this idea wasn't exactly mine, it was @mkemal23's.

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Those points are unrelated to what i said. 

Correction: That idea wasn't mine as well. It was someone else's idea but I unfortunately don't remember who they were.

And yes, I know It's not a good idea to lock that feature behind a character. I just used it as an example to prove my previous point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

No? The bosses can still be spawned every 20 days. And it's not like a Walter can shoot every crow and instantly gets a black feather each. And besides, there had been many cases where a player learns the blueprint and then logs off almost immediately. Not everyone is willing to wait 20 days for another fight and to get the blueprint again. Think of it as a failsafe plan.

Your missing the point though. Why wait 20 days per player when you can just dupe the blueprints infinitely for every player in the server? This also wont stop cases of players learning blueprints and logging off immediatelty since you need the blueprint to dupe it. Its not a failsafe plan either by definition, this is going to be used every time the oppertunity is available. Also, black feathers are easy to get, especially for this reward so i dont know why you are portraying it as being hard to get.

There is no point arguing over this anyway, since Klei wont add it in this interperation.

Edited by Jakepeng99

24 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

There is no point arguing over this anyway, since Klei wont add it in this interperation.

You'd be surprised. When Willow's skill tree first came out, I swear I only saw literally one person suggest adding a cooldown to her affinity spells, but lo and behold, here we are.

Never underestimate who Klei decides to take seriously. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

This also wont stop cases of players learning blueprints and logging off immediatelty since you need the blueprint to dupe it.

They will have more conscience to keep it for dupes. And god, this is just a concept anyway. Even if this perk will make it to the official release, not many people will actively choose it unless they are a hardcore multiplayer gamer. Even I won't choose it.

3 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

A Wilson could just dupe tons of blueprints and make fighting some bosses or visiting some areas again completly worthless

This is where you're wrong. People have to fight Nightmare Werepig countless times (especially in public servers) for the armor set available for everyone, Shadow Plinth, the 5 dreadstones for shadow rifts, etc. So even if everyone already learnt the blueprints via Wilson's dupe ones, he was still revisitable.

Edited by Anis5240