Werepigs or pig houses?

Hammer all the pig houses, build a modest pig farm, and keep the rest of the pig skin. For a pig farm, Leave a pig skin surrounded by walls in the middle of some pig houses placed a couple tiles away. When a full moon comes, kill the werepigs.

• Like 1

I recommend destroying a decent amount of pig houses when you're starting out but leaving a decent amount to build farms in the mid-late game. Turning on lots of pigs and touch stones for caves/surface is also a recommendation of mine. 

So.... happy medium. Goldilocks zone. 

Just now, benfroyobro9381 said:

I recommend destroying a decent amount of pig houses when you're starting out but leaving a decent amount to build farms in the mid-late game. Turning on lots of pigs and touch stones for caves/surface is also a recommendation of mine. 

So.... happy medium. Goldilocks zone. 

To clarify, destroying and moving those leftover pig hosues to make farms. It's good to destroy some early game since football helmets and ham bats are your go-to early game tools of choice. 

depends on if you're going to keep using ham bats until rifts, you can get dread helm/eye hat/thule crowns during 1st autumn to not need pig skin for football helms and you can get beefalo/a character specific weapon e.g. alarming clock to not need to use ham bats or kill FW during 1st winter for void scythe but i assume that you aren't going to do that since you're probably new, if you're playing solo you could just hammer all houses and end up with more pig skin than you'll probably end up using if you're planning to switch from ham bats to something else as soon as you can, on pubs idk i usually just get 8 pig skin for initial 1-2 helms, 1-2 ham bats and a beefalo saddle

I would encourage killing were pigs over smashing houses, especially if you go on a spider killing spree for the sake of silk or spider-glands, you will end up with a lot of monster meat. Normally there are a decent amount of pigs near spiders too, so its not like you have to go far to get materials for armor, food, healing and tools or traps. 

I've found the only time I smash pig houses is if im trying to rush something like CC or FW, but even then, normally if I find a touchstone or the swamp, pigskin needs are covered pretty well for a long while. 

Farm them spiders, farm them pigs or relocate them near something that can farm them on a full moon for you. 

Edited by ZeRoboButler

Best way, in my opinion, is to make your own pig housing area near base. That way when full moon hits you can kill a lot of them in quick succession. Fence in a powdercake or pigskin nearby and they'll stay outside 24/7 walking towards it. Will make it safe to engage them under full moon. As much as I dislike erasing pig villages because of world flavor I usually destroy a lot for building materials, because it's faster than mining and chopping, and then use some for rebuilding new houses near base. As long as you have a few you can always build more later. You can even feed them 4 monster meat between full moons to get 2 meat and pigskin. Making your own pig village is very handy.

I play usually on pubs, so I leave them up. I hammer down pig houses very rarely - only if i really need the pig skin (for example for desert goggles or rushing some boss) and only a one or two houses.

I usually get my pig skin from:
1) touchstones, where i always leave 1 or two pole up for other players
2) from swamps
3) I turn almost any pig i see into a werepig if i have the monster meat

But even hammering down pig houses to make a pig farm near base is more often than not appreciated on public servers and definitely a fine suggestion and the best answer to your question.