Random tasks for public servers

Hello everyone, today we gonna turn Orange mode off  look for some ideas on what to do on public servers.

The requirements for ideas are following:

1. it has nothing to do with griefing, so no destroying base/stealing loot etc.
  2. it should be helpful in some way or at least funny
  3. should be character independent
  4. should be something people rarely do because it's unoptimal

The goal is simple: I want to have fun and improve my skills while also unlocking skilltrees for some characters. So we can come up with huge effort tasks. Note that I'm not bored with the game and I can find something to do by myself anyways but probably some other people ideas would appeal to me. Also maybe someone else would be encouraged to do stuff on public servers.

Tasks examples:

• build drying racks all over the continent so anyone could have a snack while traveling 
  • light the path to the ruins with nightmare lights
  • create a restoraunt and fill it with as much different ingridients as possible
  • convert antire spider forest into rocky turf, and make rocky turf a forest
  • etc...

One thing I absolutely love doing is to change the grass turf around the oasis lake with moon quay beach turf, it looks fantastic. After that I like to break every single bone on the ground and change the sandy turf with grass turf for the rest of the biome. It turns into a very beautiful green land with flintless rocks and cacti blending in a special way.

Another thing that I did once and that I always crave on long term worlds is to kill every single tentacle in the marsh biome, spider dens and break every merm house (you can bring armored bearger there for easier cleaning). After that I do some 9x9ish spots with lunar turf, trees and stone fruit bushes. I find that the lunar theme blends in very well with marsh turf.

I also like to take down every spider den in the forests, leave the pighouses intact and make cobble roads leading to the middle of the biome, like a third or fourth artificial village. Then decorate it.

I also like to take every single grass tuft, twig sapling and berry bush from one biome (specially the angry bee one) and place them scattered around an ice crystaleyezer in a random pattern in the middle of the biome. This is just so they don't end up burning by random Wildfires while I walk around in summer. Alternatively I take the biggest cave green biome underground and do the same there, but without the crystaleyezer.

I also like to fish every fish, get 1 giant for each crop. Fill the scrapbook etc..

Another thing I do is to built winter shafts next to lobster dens, stock up on lobster and place them inside multiple fishing bins. Then after a long long time fishing, I craft a bunch of lobster bisque with ice from the sharkboi island and place it inside the polar bearger bin. It's he best healing item in the game. Alternatively you can make surf'n'turf with 1 monster meat, 1 lobster, 1 fish and 1 twig. It's very good if you're playing Wickerbottom.

I like to destroy every single stalagmite underground and build multiple skeletons randomly placed around the caves and decorate around with forest turf and thulecite walls, like a lost altar. Alternatively I do it with rabbits, like a giant rabbit village.

I once terraformed a whole mandrake forest and substituted the forest turf with deciduous turf. Then I planted a bunch of pig houses and birtchnuts. I did this because my world didn't have a second deciduous. I kept the mandrakes and grass turf in the middle intact. Although it took me a long time, it is still worth it. But I wouldn't recommend this one as it could take a long time based on how big the forest is. And there are a bunch of random graves around, making it look very uncanny.

I also like to change parts of the shore with moon quay beach turf and moon beach turf (half and half) to make an artificial beach biome raided by the moon, I did this twice in the land closest to the moon island. I placed some palm trees and broken stone wall formations (like a lost ruined formation from an old civilization). It looks fantastic. I also docked my way to the lunar island and did the same decoration there. This one doesn't take too long.

As for objects, I thought about picking wormwood, crafting multiple mushroom planters and placing them scattered around the mud biome. I don't know if it would look cool or if there's a better place for them tho.

One thing me, my brother and my friend did once was generate multiple worlds with loops set to always and branches set to never until we got a world where there is a big pool of water closed by land in the middle of the map. Also, the map was connected to the lunar island in one of the biomes. We docked every possible space in the middle after placing some ocean trees around the ocean gaps and made a base on the docks. We then were close to every single biome in the game by a few tiles and our base looked absolutely beautiful with big trees and fences around the dock edges. There was a place in the middle where we couldn't place docks, but it had 6 sea stacks, I planted some sea sprouts in there and that was the only time where I consistently cooked with barnacles, figs and kelp.

I generally do these types of things

Willow

Beard Hair farming

With base Willow, go insane near bunnyman circle, they will target Bernie, equip helmet and hambat, mash force attack and you should win

Once you've unlocked lunar fire it makes the process easier.

With your mountain of beard hair, make Bernie army and Meat Effigies

Wormwood

I'm the only wormwood I've seen focusing highly on mush planters

I start by going to caves, getting a backpack full of bulbs and a good supply of mushrooms

Next I farm spiders, for materials for the tents I'll need to farm enough logs and enough meat to convert a werepig

werepig converts half the bulbs into manure, and once the other half is rot, I find a nice cave near a base someone hopefully built to place them in.

I try to maintain around 20 planters, there's diminishing returns due to them needing refilled with logs, but you can also get to a point where you make so much that the abundance makes it's own rot and manure fodder.

I have plans to re turf under every cave exit with Ruins turf so I can instantly know what phase its in

Likewise above ground at Cave Entrance I want to re turf with the most relevant or interesting zone that you will find nearest the staircase.

I want to make a gold brick path from the Florid Postern all the way to base.  I have a donut world so instead of it being linear I want it to lead to the nearest worm hole then to the next worm hole and then finally to the one that puts you right in the middle of the mega base. Once thats done I want to make 4 mannequins at the postern and mimic the Cowardly Lion, TinMan, Dorothy and Scarecrow with the hound skinned backpack for toto. Lastly decorate the paths including the huge field of flowers from the original version.

And I just thought of this... since beefalo do not move once hitched maybe I will do the ring of Beefalos with one dolled up as the "horse of a different color". (Nothing else in this world is Oz themed just wanted to have the Follow the yellow brick road stuck in any vistors head should they join lol.)

Micro bases at every touchstone... 4 back packs each with bundled food, thermal stones, seasonal gear, weapon, axe, some logs, map in case it was an early death, and lantern or torch.  Campfire, endothermic, fridge (with chilled stones), crockpot and tent... basically if it got real bad in the wrong season you should be able to make it home. 

I haven't been big on fishing, but I just built the aquarium with a Scale-o-matic for each fish in game and plaque so I can begin my collection.

18 hours ago, Swiyss said:

One thing I absolutely love doing is to change the grass turf around the oasis lake with moon quay beach turf, it looks fantastic. After that I like to break every single bone on the ground and change the sandy turf with grass turf for the rest of the biome. It turns into a very beautiful green land with flintless rocks and cacti blending in a special way.

Yeah this looks great! I was doing this with sea shell turf however and put some sea shelss around and random banana bushes. I also replace birchnutes with palmcones. Never tried to redo the entire desert into something green but I think this might look cool, I definetely need to try!

I also like to take down every spider den in the forests, leave the pighouses intact and make cobble roads leading to the middle of the biome, like a third or fourth artificial village. Then decorate it.

How do you decorate it?

I like to destroy every single stalagmite underground and build multiple skeletons randomly placed around the caves and decorate around with forest turf and thulecite walls, like a lost altar. Alternatively I do it with rabbits, like a giant rabbit village.

I was doing something like that yesterday, thanks for the idea. I was actually planning to create nightmare lights so mined in caves for accidental red gems, but also received enough bones to create 4 sceletons. I decorated pig king with it)

18 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

With base Willow, go insane near bunnyman circle, they will target Bernie, equip helmet and hambat, mash force attack and you should win

Once you've unlocked lunar fire it makes the process easier.

With your mountain of beard hair, make Bernie army and Meat Effigies

i usuallly farm beard hair by catching tons of rabit and going insane early game. However yesterday I've tried it with bunnymen, and Bernie is touch enough to handle 4-5 of them so it's much simplier, thanks! 

And now I'm considering of the idea to place a lot of meat effigies around the world... 

18 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Wormwood

I'm the only wormwood I've seen focusing highly on mush planters

Wormwood mush planters are good, I love to have lots of planters in caves! And Wickerbottom is always happy.

16 hours ago, shaurun said:

How do you decorate it?

I like to "copy" DST Josh on YouTube. It's a guy that livestreams sometimes and add the VODs to his YT channel with the same name. It's a mix of leafy trees, evergreens, berry bushes, grass and twigs. He also uses a lot of diagonal fences, and I started to realise how better it looks compared to squared builds. In Gods eye, I'm 90% sure he prefers spirals, circles and hexagons over squares. But yet us humans prefer blocks; I think that's due to the sin in our bodies that corrupt us to be far away from Perfection, but that's way too out of topic to discuss. I hope you understood my design choices tho.

Set up some exotic animal pens (grass gators, saladmanders, slurpers, etc). I think designing these can be pretty fun and trying to retrieve the animals is fun as well

theyre not super useful (grass gators are an ok source of twigs at least) but they’d help liven up base 

Here are a few ideas:

Find the moon quay island and make it hospitable and livable year round.

Set up a variety (twiggy, birch nut, and evergreen) of fully decorated winters feast trees showcasing the different ornaments with a tent for each.

Set up a chess board using the king, queen, knight, bishop, rook, and pawn statues as pieces.

Set up a scavenger hunt using signs for clues with various goodies bundled up in gift wrap as rewards.

Get three different bosses on screen at the same time (excluding tree guards) (also take a screenshot).

Make a directional sign that says "Go the opposite of the other direction's reverse counterpart." It makes a fun puzzle for new players. Also putting the base in the middle of a maze could be fun. 

Alternatively, you could make a 16-tile farm, miner hats for everyone, or a bunch of traps.

Archived