How long will Don't Starve story?

Hello to everyone who reads this post. Before getting to the main point, I would like to say that I do not know English very well and will use a translator to convey my thoughts. I apologize in advance if you have any misunderstanding in my text. :wickerbottomthanks:

With the latest updates to Don't Starve Together, I've been thinking more and more about ending the whole story. And I hope that in the end those who fall into the Constant will still be able to find a way out of this world... unless Klei decides to add another plot twist with some new unknown force that is dormant somewhere in the middle of nowhere, while Nightmares and Gestalts poke each other with a showdown about who is the main boss of this world.

Honestly, I liked the concept of traveling between worlds more, as it was in the solo game, as well as Forge and Gorge. Now that concept is gone, which is pretty sad. :wilson_cry:

I have nothing against the current direction of the Don't Starve story, but it's pretty boring to me. The confrontation between the forces of Good and the forces of Evil is already such a clogged topic that it just starts to get boring. I understand that there is definitely no good and evil here, but this whole story with the choice of the Moon and Shadow sides spoils everything. :wilsondisapproving:

Now Don't Starve does not have such an interesting mystery as it used to be. Yes, Klei doesn't tell us much in the story clips, but there is no mystery in the videos anymore, it's just an understatement.

I will say again that sooner or later the guys will find a way out of this world, and Klei will not suck this story out of their fingers and finish it with dignity.

Thank you for paying attention to this post and sharing your thoughts on this matter. Don't starve! :wilson_flower:

I've been thinking about that a lot too.

I think the most likely outcome is after From Beyond we get one or two more "Finale" arcs, before moving on to non-story updates / new game. So maybe around 4 years? That said they'd really have to pick up the pace in actually getting story done, considering that they only progression since Eye of the storm is the rifts opening and Maxwell's recruitment.

If I had to guess:

• 2024 - From Beyond Conclusion
  • 2025 - Playable Wagstaff & Charlie?
  • 2025-2026 Finale Arc New Shard for Lunar/Shadow Dimension
  • 2027 Finale Event (Like Forge/Gorge)

The thing about DS/DST is that is Klei’s most popular, widely available on almost all platforms you can name IP, so they’re highly highly unlikely to just “End” DS…

That would be like Nintendo deciding to suddenly “End” Mario.

DST may someday reach a point where the developers abandon it and no longer do content updates for it.. but by the time THAT happens they’ll probably have a new entry in the franchise ready to release.

(sadly that’s looking more & more like NewHome to me.. but that’s besides the point.)

Point is- You don’t just “End” something that’s making money, unless your not making enough money & go Bankrupt.

1 minute ago, _zwb said:

New Home is not made by Klei

And considering Klei doesn’t even follow its twitter account I don’t think they care much about it.

but also

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That would be like Nintendo deciding to suddenly “End” Mario.

Mario doesn’t have one long running story, DST does. They might keep updating the game after but eventually its story SHOULD end

On 1/13/2024 at 3:50 PM, Kofeman27 said:

The confrontation between the forces of Good and the forces of Evil is already such a clogged topic that it just starts to get boring.

I mean we don't really know if Alter is good. as I see it, it seems to be 2 (probably) evils fighting each other with you in the middle of their battle, like smash bros ultimate's "campaign".

Probably the reason most people side with Alter is because of Wagstaff, they look cooler and also Charlie is in the opposing side so.

wow I never realised that the story is infact pretty stale with only focusing on Charlie and wagstaff, I'd love for them to take a detour and not focus anything on shadow Vs moon, it's a good concept for a main story but they could really add some side content, last real side lore I can think of (except frostjaw but he's probably something to do with the moon) was infact the gorge

3 hours ago, CuteC said:

I mean we don't really know if Alter is good. as I see it, it seems to be 2 (probably) evils fighting each other with you in the middle of their battle, like smash bros ultimate's "campaign".

Probably the reason most people side with Alter is because of Wagstaff, they look cooler and also Charlie is in the opposing side so.

The story, for me, is totally giving 'ANCIENT FORCES BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION' vibes for good/evil, it's just gonna be two entities that arn't inherently bad, they just wanna exist and grow, like all things. I really feel we'll never see their motivations because we're just teeny tiny humans with our silly meat brain. 

No offense though, but that particular narrative is so unbelievably boring. Cosmic horror would be captivating if media hadn't explored the concept so deeply that it became a very typical horror staple - it feels like when gaming went through that whole 'GUYS, I HEAR YOU, BUT ZOMBIES THO' phase. It's practically pastiche.

3 hours ago, Retepeter said:

wow I never realised that the story is infact pretty stale with only focusing on Charlie and wagstaff, I'd love for them to take a detour and not focus anything on shadow Vs moon, it's a good concept for a main story but they could really add some side content, last real side lore I can think of (except frostjaw but he's probably something to do with the moon) was infact the gorge

Totally agree, the community has been asking for explanations for really interesting things and I feel we just get more and more and more content that needs explaining later, WoW used to have a great story but their need to continue the IP just lead to them creating stuff and then explaining later - it's really really transparent, again, no offense, but Klei keep doing this too. Perhaps explain what is to come, so we can get excited? Content releases and then we decide if it was worth it afterward at the moment, the beta should not be the teaser for the content, beta is for testing. 

Why not release a short that doesn't come with content? Maybe just let us know what some of the major characters are aiming to do, hint at it, literally a dribble. It could be tied to content that hasn't even hit the drawing board, that way Klei can determine if people are interested in a particular theme/motif/mechanic/well... anything in the dev cycle.

We want to engage with this game and it's like we're all just food reviewers; Eat, 'yeah that was ok', next course. It's so sad to see and not the communities fault at this point.

Archived