The Potential of the Frostjaw

In my opinion, the frostjaw had the potential to be a lunar counterpart to the Daywalker.

Locating - The Daywalker is always located in the muddy biome, which is a sort of central-ish location, and is thus connected to the ruins most times. The lunar frostjaw should be situated near the lunar island, both as a way of making it easier to locate, and also making sense in the lore due to it needing to be close to the lunar island for the lunar power to take effect.

Spawning method - In the case of the daywalker, you need to go to the ruins to get the pick/axe to shake the pillars to fight it. To access the lunar frostjaw's fight, you should need to go to lunar island, craft a bath bomb, and place it in the middle of the frostjaw's ice platform, where there would be a crack of some sort. The bomb would then fizz away, leaving a hole in the ice for you to fish out of and start the fight.

Design - I envision that the lunar frostjaw would be mostly the same as the regular frostjaw, but instead with some enlightened ice. I have made a crude mockup of what it would look like out of enlightened shards. (keep in mind this just a concept, sorry if it doesnt look that good)

lunarfrostjaw.png.3ba96b7c6ea1e03452b36c9c651bf00b.png

The fight - Nothing really to say about this, maybe buff the health and damage a bit to put it on par with the daywalker, and also because of the new drops.

Drops - Once the frostjaw is defeated, the lunar ice will break off, as well as some pure brilliance . This ice would also be able to be periodically mined from icebergs surrounding the island. This new lunar ice could be used, along with the pure brilliance, to make a new armor set called frostbite armor, which would essentially be a lunar counterpart to the dreadstone armour. In addition to this, the ice could also be turned into a rain beacon that goes up into the sky, and makes it so that nearby rain will all be frozen on it, giving a solution to rain, in turn for making it colder in the area. The reason that this would exist is due to it being a counterpart to the dreadstone pillar, which blocks earthquakes, and earthquakes are essentially just cave rain.

Drops (extended) - The frostbite helm would look similar to the eye mask with all of its teeth, and the frostbite armor would be a mix of the void cowl and dreadstone armor, with the lunar colout palette. as for how it would work, I feel like it would restore durability over time while over 70% sanity, but it would also put you under the effect of enlightenment while wearing it. This means that to repair it over time, you would need to deal with gestalts. 

Overall, i think there was a lot of potential with the frostjaw being a lunar counterpart to the Daywalker, and that potential was wasted.

Klei devs said frostjaw fight was intentionally left as Pre-Rift contents, intended to be fought with Pre-Rift weapons and abilities- As early game content that isn’t tied to killing AFW or CC.

As Such he shouldn’t HAVE an alignment, and he can’t be given Post Rift loot drops.

Other than that.. I love that they made the fight actually involve your character sliding across the ice sheets now, that is something “New” for the Dont Starve franchise and I’d like to see it used in more areas of the game outside of just the boss fight.

We get closer and closer to that Icey Tundra biome the size and scope of Lunar Island each update.

We finally have that “Chill” Ocean Biome & this is just the tip of the Iceberg.

(All puns fully Intended)

Similar to the Nightmare Werepig these two survive the battles because they are meant to do something post defeat. If it's not obvious enough in-game it's even more apparent in the game files. I'll mention what I notice but don't quote me on it as it's always possible Klei change their mind and take different routes, but from what we can find the Werepig will be getting an increase in power after the first fight, likely he'll get tougher or other. As for the Frostjaw there's a chance it'll become a follower some way.

Spoiler

Source (again it's more proof of concept than "will happen for sure") for the Daywalker is the presence of a power_level variable in daywalkerspawner component which increase after it despawned the first time. This is currently used so that he says something different while he is chained but there are plenty TODO notes regarding it.

For the Frostjaw his has special idle quotes named SHARKBOI_TALK_FOLLOWWILSON

{"SURE, SKIP!","OK, BOSS!","AY CAP'N!","TIL MY LAST BREATH!","EASY PEASY.","WHATCHA NEED, BOSS?","YOU'RE A FRIEND OF OURS.","YOU GOT IT, BOSS.","WHY SO GLUM, CHUM?","LEMME AT 'EM.","I'D NEVER EAT YOU, BOSS.","JUST SAY THE WORD, BOSS.","I GOT YOUR BACK.","YOU SAY SOMETHIN', BOSS?","BOSS IS THE BEST.","WHO WE WHACKIN' BOSS?","LOOKIN' SHARP, BOSS.","WHERE TO, SKIP?"}

That _FOLLOWWILSON suffix is also used by Pigs and Merms in the same situation.

So yeah expect more from them but we gotta give it time.

5 hours ago, Antynomity said:

I'm more concerned with how bad his animations are compared to the rest of the game 

Btw I've watched them all thoughtfully after reading so many critics and they're really not bad at all. There's a lot of attention in the movement. I think you and others might need to realize a shark gotta struggle walking on his fins, the struggle looks more intentional than anything else. :)

Archived