Bernie still needs some QoL stuff before beta ends

I appreciate the recent bug fixes devs made, but there's several problems about BERNIE! since the beginning of this beta and there's so little time. Here's the list :

• BERNIE! should teleport to Willow from far away rather than just being deactivated,
    or at least there should be an way to call back BERNIE! while Willow's insane.
  • BERNIE! still attacks neutral nightmares when Willow's not insane.
  • BERNIE! affinity skills are still not counted in 8 skill requirements for Burning Bernie.
  • Burning BERNIE! still cannot be triggered by fire staff or flame cast skill.

Stuffs like health regen, speed, dmg, HP or planar defence are good, but these kind of changes mentioned above are the more important things to improve the actual Willow gameplay experience. I hope there would be some tweaks before, or even, after the beta ends.

1 minute ago, HeatAndRun said:

there should be an way to call back BERNIE! while Willow's insane.

Totally agree. Absolutely in on this!

2 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:
  • BERNIE! still attacks neutral nightmares when Willow's not insane.

I've seen some people like this, others not liking it. I don't exactly like it all that much, it's kinda weird having him constantly attacking things. Helping him usually pushes me above the sanity needed to have him out, too.

3 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

BERNIE! affinity skills are still not counted in 8 skill requirements for Burning Bernie.

Yyyeeaaahhhhhh...

3 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:
  • Burning BERNIE! still cannot be triggered by fire staff or flame cast skill.

Are these bugs by chance?

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

I've seen some people like this, others not liking it. I don't exactly like it all that much, it's kinda weird having him constantly attacking things. Helping him usually pushes me above the sanity needed to have him out, too.

Personally I'm the one who don't like it, because it makes controlling Bernie harder and worse, Bernie just despawn while fighting or taunting shadow creatures all the time when I move. With the combination of Bernie doesn't teleport to Willow, it makes things more inconvenient. It also makes Patch Up and Bearly Sane kinda meaningless, since shadow's attacks will offset the health regen of Patch Up, and protecting Bernie from shadow will makes your sanity higher than sanity threashold anyway even with Bearly Sane. It feels like babysitting with Bernie all the time.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

Burning BERNIE! still cannot be triggered by fire staff or flame cast skill.

I think this one's an unimplemented feature, rather than a bug.

2 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

Personally I'm the one who don't like it, because it makes controlling Bernie harder and worse, Bernie's just deactivated while fighting or taunting shadow creatures all the time when I move. It also makes Patch Up and Bearly Sane meaningless, since shadow's attacks will offset the health regen, and protecting Bernie from shadow will makes your sanity higher than sanity threashold anyway even with Bearly Sane. It feels like babysitting with Bernie all the time.

I think getting an ability to pick him up solves this issue b/c if we are just running around and don't want him fighting shadow creatures then we just pick him up :\

imo there is design space b/c the Devs basically acknowledged that Hot Headed is doing nothing now.  That is at least 1 skill point that could be anything else.  If it changes to "can pick up bernie" it would help a lot.

Bernie attacking neutral nightmares shouldn't be a thing, right now is a free nightmare fuel farm, you just need to stay around 50% sanity and have the skill that allows Bernie to recover health and he becomes unkillable by nightmares. I don't think having infinite nightmare fuel was intended by the devs.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:46 AM, Shosuko said:

I think getting an ability to pick him up solves this issue b/c if we are just running around and don't want him fighting shadow creatures then we just pick him up :\

imo there is design space b/c the Devs basically acknowledged that Hot Headed is doing nothing now.  That is at least 1 skill point that could be anything else.  If it changes to "can pick up bernie" it would help a lot.

i dont think QoL should be added throw skill trees. Is annoying losing bernie because he shrink for being to far from you.

He should work like a follower without the need of adding it as a skill tree perk

same goes for wigfrid's song container. Is a skill you just unmark once you craft the item...

2 hours ago, AVecesPienso said:

Bernie attacking neutral nightmares shouldn't be a thing, right now is a free nightmare fuel farm, you just need to stay around 50% sanity and have the skill that allows Bernie to recover health and he becomes unkillable by nightmares. I don't think having infinite nightmare fuel was intended by the devs.

Unless they glitch out and stop spawning Bernie will die eventually with this method as the healing is slow enough that he'll always end with a fairly large net negative it's the main complaint against patchwork.

51 minutes ago, arubaro said:

dont think QoL should be added throw skill trees.

While I very much agree with you this ship has already sailed as that's exactly what most of Woodie's skill tree is.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:29 AM, HeatAndRun said:

BERNIE! should teleport to Willow from far away rather than just being deactivated

I NEED this 

As someone who can’t exist without a beefalo (preferably a rider with Glossamer Saddle) having Bernie return to his normal form after I go five steps away from him all the time makes my head spin just thinking about it.
Having him either teleport or having an option to pick him up would be much appreciated (maybe lock use into place for a bit when picking him up so we can’t abuse it during combat just like when desummoning Abigail)

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Unless they glitch out and stop spawning Bernie will die eventually with this method as the healing is slow enough that he'll always end with a fairly large net negative it's the main complaint against patchwork.

Even if he end up dying it will take a long time, i haven't done the test myself but i'm pretty sure you can farm hundreds of nightmare fuel before he dies, and you just use 20% of a sewing kit to heal him again so it's pretty much free nightmare fuel

Just now, AVecesPienso said:

Even if he end up dying it will take a long time, i haven't done the test myself but i'm pretty sure you can farm hundreds of nightmare fuel before he dies, and you just use 20% of a sewing kit to heal him again so it's pretty much free nightmare fuel

I mean your not wrong but patchwork isn't even really contributing to that it's the extra 600 hp and him becoming a planar entity that's causing him to last so long. If you don't believe me simply do the same build but choose the speed boost instead.

That being said I feel like he's fine as is his role is a tank follower not a dps one and it's not like large hordes won't shred him if you aren't helping or on burning Bernie. Also Maxwell already has a free nightmare fuel farm so it's not like that's something new.

He's also not the first follower to passively farm mobs.

Archived