[Game Update] - 586896

36 minutes ago, readkey said:

The first skill is already improving the taming process, and the second skill is.... just doing the same thing, which is why I feel it is not worth it. Now, I understand it is normal to have some skill points being an investment for the next one rather than being actually useful, but the third and forth skills in this branch do not seem impactful enough for such an investment.

imo the 3rd point is the really good one.  The passive inspiration gain lets you easily keep 1 passive skill up all the time, so you (and your friends) can start the battle with extra health / sanity leech, weapon durability, etc.  Its certainly not needed, but if you're playing with a group this can help improve the group's performance.  You can also easily start the fight with a stinger, or just use one as you travel like to drop aggro from something you don't want to deal with since even with fighting words you need the inspiration threshold.

It also lets you hold inspiration from a fight, so if you clear Deerclops you can mount up and hold ALL of your inspiration for whatever you're going to do next.  This gives you a lot easier access to Warrior's Reprise for ressing at basically any time and carrying multiple passives at once.

Now if you aren't playing with others, don't see the value in many songs, or don't feel like carrying around and starting fights with that passive and inspiration ready then by all means pass on it.  I think its a great QOL skill that makes me feel like her songs are good for any moment, not just boss fights.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I think the first two points are good for smoothing over the taming process.  + ride time is immediately useful in easing that process.  After that point its more a skill tax for the passive inspiration which imo is worth it.  My spec tree was 1 point in fighting words, the spear and commander helm maxed, 3 beef skill and affinity.  What have y'all been using?

Personally, when I tame a Beefalo, I start with a couple days of filling hunger with crock pot twigs.  This allows me to skip the annoying phase where ride time is extremely low, so a tree skill that extends that seems far less useful.  I went with full beefalo tree, full spear, full helmet, and a couple minor other things.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

imo the 3rd point is the really good one.  The passive inspiration gain lets you easily keep 1 passive skill up all the time, so you (and your friends) can start the battle with extra health / sanity leech, weapon durability, etc.  Its certainly not needed, but if you're playing with a group this can help improve the group's performance.  You can also easily start the fight with a stinger, or just use one as you travel like to drop aggro from something you don't want to deal with since even with fighting words you need the inspiration threshold.

It also lets you hold inspiration from a fight, so if you clear Deerclops you can mount up and hold ALL of your inspiration for whatever you're going to do next.  This gives you a lot easier access to Warrior's Reprise for ressing at basically any time and carrying multiple passives at once.

Now if you aren't playing with others, don't see the value in many songs, or don't feel like carrying around and starting fights with that passive and inspiration ready then by all means pass on it.  I think its a great QOL skill that makes me feel like her songs are good for any moment, not just boss fights.

I suppose it becomes a "tradeoff" branch where Wigfrid becomes a support. Heartrending Ballad cannot be used on herself and the beefalo, and Weaponized Warble is obviously meaningless if she rides a beef to fight. (I forgot whether Clear Minded Cadenza works)

Honestly I don't go against the new Noble Steed III, I think it is a good idea, but losing the 10 planar damage makes her own Saddle even less appealing, which is quite a shame.  The synergy I can currently think of is abusing the Rude Interlude from the Inspiration generated and tank the hits for teammates with the 40% resistance. Still you don't need an Ornery for that. That's why I said I rather they remove the extra riding time and keep the 10 planar damage, so that her Ornery is at least dealing similar damage as others with a War Saddle, but can do it with a cheaper recipe and a much better defense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bransonb said:

Personally, when I tame a Beefalo, I start with a couple days of filling hunger with crock pot twigs.  This allows me to skip the annoying phase where ride time is extremely low, so a tree skill that extends that seems far less useful.  I went with full beefalo tree, full spear, full helmet, and a couple minor other things.

I do that as Warly - but I don't usually build a crock pot for most of the first autumn.  I think there is a big difference between taming a beef in the first few days while exploring, hitting up ruins, tackling bee queen, etc vs a more casual approach where you set up a base and get your ducks in a line.  After the first year taming a beef is more about not forgetting about it.  Starting a beef day 1 while also doing many other things the taming and ride time bonuses are going to be more beneficial.

So fair - I think most people recognize that these points are mostly a tax on the 3rd point after you get established in game.

3 hours ago, readkey said:

I suppose it becomes a "tradeoff" branch where Wigfrid becomes a support. Heartrending Ballad cannot be used on herself and the beefalo, and Weaponized Warble is obviously meaningless if she rides a beef to fight. (I forgot whether Clear Minded Cadenza works)

I mean, she doesn't need to ride the beef to fight.  A rider beef with gossamer saddle is a great speed boost.  She can just get off of it and fight.  Her damage would be superior to a beef even if it were ornery + battle saddle + her planar perk so imo its a waste to use a beef for combat as her anyway. 

It definitely lets her use be more supportive, but I think that is the point b/c all of her songs are really only good in a group.

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I mean, she doesn't need to ride the beef to fight.  A rider beef with gossamer saddle is a great speed boost.  She can just get off of it and fight.  Her damage would be superior to a beef even if it were ornery + battle saddle + her planar perk so imo its a waste to use a beef for combat as her anyway. 

It definitely lets her use be more supportive, but I think that is the point b/c all of her songs are really only good in a group.

I know you use Rider beefalo for the supportive role. The thing is her own Saddle right now only makes sense with Ornery, and her whole kit (both abilities and skill trees) has almost nothing to synergize with it. 

Maybe instead of changing her other skills in the beefalo branch, it is the saddle that can use some change? I’m not entirely sure. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, readkey said:

I know you use Rider beefalo for the supportive role. The thing is her own Saddle right now only makes sense with Ornery, and her whole kit (both abilities and skill trees) has almost nothing to synergize with it. 

Maybe instead of changing her other skills in the beefalo branch, it is the saddle that can use some change? I’m not entirely sure. 

I don't see how the saddle synergizes with an ornery beef, or any beef.  If you want damage from a beef you would use a battle saddle, and probably not play Wig lol.

Being the 4th point its easy to ignore her saddle and take the others for passive inspiration and an easier time taming.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

I don't see how the saddle synergizes with an ornery beef, or any beef.  If you want damage from a beef you would use a battle saddle, and probably not play Wig lol.

Being the 4th point its easy to ignore her saddle and take the others for passive inspiration and an easier time taming.

It's for you to have the authentic valkyrie™ experience of course. You have to admit, the saddle looks fire :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shosuko said:

currently, it's better suited that Wigfrid crafts it for other players. Even the first 2 beefalo skills are useless once your beef is already fully domesticated. I for one would use the saddle on other characters. I want my beefalo to be beefy, and not die anymore from bees... or a swarm of frogs.... ohh the trauma I have from those experience XD.

• Like 3

Willow has a pretty strong early game, but I think her endgame just feels lackluster. The affinity spells aren't that good and they gave no progress, like Maxwells minions. Also, enemies, especially in the endgame not being able to be set on fire negates half of her new skills. To fix that, you could add with the affinities aligned flames, like lunar/shadow burn effect, that can affect everything, and maybe do more damage. It could be inflicted only by the affinity spells, to give them more use, if they're not getting buffed in any other ways.

• Like 2

It seems that the cooldown is destined to exist, so I would like to shorten the cooldown again. Moon Affinity reduced to 10 seconds, Shadow to 5 seconds, improved Shadow Affinity tracking ability and increased Shadow Affinity damage to 125. Otherwise, the shadow affinity is hardly necessary, resulting in an output lower than the pile output. And the moon affinity output has little use for anything other than dealing with queen bees, which can be completely replaced by diffusion burning, so I'd like a slight increase in maneuverability (lower than normal).

• Like 2