Idea for the "Brightshade Megabaser" problem

I don't know if this has been suggested yet or not. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Remember, how in summer, bushes etc. that you moved don't wither if you haven't picked from them yet, since you last fertilzed them?

How would you feel about Brightshades only being able to infect Berry Bushes & Grass tufts that aren't "pristine" anymore? Which basically means they are not used for their functional use but purely as decoration and thus I would argue, add no practical benefit to the players survival that would justify being infected by a hardmode enemy?

It wouldn't be a perfect fix, as crops and saplings would be left out, but it would be a start

I am not trying to be dramatic, but the facts are, for me, the way I enjoy playing the game is building large aesthetic bases, and with how Brightshades currently work I simply no longer enjoy playing the vanilla version of the game, as things like Berry Bushes, Grass Tufts, Sapplings etc. are just an integral part of how I build and decorate, and not having them available without having to deal with Brigthshades all the time simply doesn't work for me.

I tried everything like, just trying to decorate and build without them, turning off the rifts, not opening the rifts in the first place, weird "clusters of bushes to attract Brightshades to specific spots", Dragonfruit around lavapools. But tbh none of these work for me, I want to want to play the game, but I feel so discouraged that I just turn it off. To me it feels like being a painter and suddenly for no reason a few colors are no longer available to me to paint with.

Any opinions?

• Like 5

If they are going to fix this problem, it would only take them about 10 minutes to make fake plant decorations as replacements for real plants, no point making this band aid fix.

Btw you can fit in 40 dragon fruit plants within each magma pool's fire damage range, that means you can have any plant herds with less than 40 plants anywhere in the world without infestation, but that's still limiting for the builders?

Edited by _zwb
  • Like 3

You can easily counter the infections but if you don't want to use the lava pool method, what I think is very neat is if you have a huge man-made forest as part of your base, you can 'hide' brightshades along the trees and plant the plants you want to not be infected in their (i believe) 7.5tile radius that stops new brightshades from spawning in there. I wish that menchanic had visible indicators that would at least allude to it existing but we ball.

1 minute ago, _zwb said:

Btw you can fit in 40 dragon fruit plants within each magma pool's fire damage range, that means you could have any plant herds with less than 40 plants anywhere in the world, but that's still limiting for the builders?

the problem seems to be that they don't want to keep getting that much dragonfruit on every world even if they don't need dragonfruit 

9 minutes ago, _zwb said:

If they are going to fix this problem, it would only take them about 10 minutes to make fake plant decorations as replacements for real plants, no point making this band aid fix.

Btw you can fit in 40 dragon fruit plants within each magma pool's fire damage range, that means you can have any plant herds with less than 40 plants anywhere in the world without infestation, but that's still limiting for the builders?

I would be absolutely down for fake plants.

Yeah it probably sounds like an exaggeration or like I am delusional. But 40 plants is really not enough. I don't just use berry bushes symmetrically every 3 tiles along my cobblestone highways, instead I like building overgrown (intentional chaos) gardens, that use an abundance of plants. I am more of a maximalist

• Like 1

I've always had the idea that if you don't harvest a plant for too long, like one year or two year of longer, it will go back to being a wild plant, not counted in the "herd" of BS preferred parasites, and no longer need to be fertilized.

It will provide protection against grass geckos, protection against BS, and a small buff for farm in endgame. Also makes sense in both realistic and game logic. 

Besides all of these... If you just leave BS alone and let them take root in the world, there is still a small chance that they will come for these plants, that's the inspired passage part, I guess? I'm not as extreme as Mike, but I do get a little tired of making something and then having the threat completely nonexistent.

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

the problem seems to be that they don't want to keep getting that much dragonfruit on every world even if they don't need dragonfruit 

You don't need to harvest them, just plant enough of them and leave. The purpose of the dragon fruit is to attract Brightshade to the magma pool and burn them to death.

There is no public guide about it yet, I will make one soon. But heres a simple version that won't protect the decorative plants in your base, it good to shows how it works.

Edited by Cassielu
  • Like 5

they should reduce the spawn rate and increase the difficulty

is a non sense to get that much husks and killing BS in the same plant every few days... feels repetitive and they arent a challenge because most of the time they spawn alone or in couples

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhovious Aran said:

I am not trying to be dramatic, but the facts are, for me, the way I enjoy playing the game is building large aesthetic bases, and with how Brightshades currently work I simply no longer enjoy playing the vanilla version of the game, as things like Berry Bushes, Grass Tufts, Sapplings etc. are just an integral part of how I build and decorate, and not having them available without having to deal with Brigthshades all the time simply doesn't work for me.

You're not being dramatic. Almost unanimously, people agree that having features infected just because you want something to look pretty isn't a feature that's fun. And in order to mitigate the survival risk/annoyance, the bushes need to be done away with.

I don't entirely like the idea of a plant being fake because it just feels inorganic for lack of a better word.

Lava pool method doesn't work because often, players like to decorate with features that have more than 36 plants in a plant herd. Also, it's an occurrence that a brightshade won't die fast enough in lava in time to interrupt another gestalt from infecting another plant. 

Regardless, I think every single suggestion under the sun has already been made. Periodic posts like this help because it demonstrates that no one likes excessive brightshade spawning. 

I'd be lying if I said it doesn't interfere with my chance of survival. Whenever I do Maxwell tasks such as building new shadow chests, I'll never wear an enlightened crown because 1 whip is death and I play unarmored wigfrid and hit exposed brightshades rolling the dice on whether or not I get hit by the spikes. 

I will die more often than is to be expected from a veteran, so I must admit that a brigthshade nerf to select plants would be a difficulty slider and that's just for the sake of arguing with integrity, but for the sake of design, there should be something that must be done, because vanilla players are electing to no longer decorate with Berry bushes.

7 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

I've always had the idea that if you don't harvest a plant for too long, like one year or two year of longer, it will go back to being a wild plant, not counted in the "herd" of BS preferred parasites, and no longer need to be fertilized.

23 minutes ago, grm9 said:

I have one problem with this suggestion. It's too good. Not in the sense it's overpowered, but it's a suggestion that's way too fair and too reasonable, therefore, it won't make it into the game. The best ideas get omitted from consideration. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wavey 1

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

they should reduce the spawn rate and increase the difficulty

is a non sense to get that much husks and killing BS in the same plant every few days... feels repetitive and they arent a challenge because most of the time they spawn alone or in couples

they should also add more brightshade variants, that's what I thought they'd do first before adding bosses as it gets old to fight the same mob every time in nearly the exact same 3 scenarios.

• Like 1

I always end up megabasing, i'm gonna be the demographic of player who brightshades become a really nuisance....... I kinda don't mind them. Yup, had situations where it seems like a never ending battle - but i'm gonna be frank, they're no where near the bother people make them out to be. 

They're not fast enough for you to not be able to just walk past them, they don't follow you, they have no ranged abilities and whilst i don't really decorate with plants outside of the odd planter for decoration (which is fineeeee) on the occassions i have, I wouldn't put them near to areas i'm gonna be standing around or near mobs or walls (i tend to smash my walls anyways but you get my point surely).

The only notable issue i've thought was irritating was when my incomplete tuft-to-gecko pen was invaded and killed the geckos, going forward though i'll probably just keep them in their own pen when they spawn by chasing/telelocator. 

(I'm not a fan of the fix of dragonfruits, but realistically it's a clever use of mechanics that really can't be considered cheese, it follows the logic of the mechanics and it's expensive but ultimately the complete solution to rampant invasions.)

tbh - like hound waves, its just a bad mechanic for that state of the game.  Once you clear all this stuff tedious and annoying mechanics like that need to start taking a back seat.  The waves are far too frequent and intrusive, they make it easier to turn the game off.  Not a good mechanic design at all.

It should be like "rifts open, you get these hassles, but you do x and the rifts turn off again"

They could have blended these in with stuff like hound waves to give more varied harassment instead of just piling annoyances after clearing CC.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rhovious Aran said:

I tried everything like, just trying to decorate and build without them, turning off the rifts, not opening the rifts in the first place, weird "clusters of bushes to attract Brightshades to specific spots", Dragonfruit around lavapools. But tbh none of these work for me, I want to want to play the game, but I feel so discouraged that I just turn it off. To me it feels like being a painter and suddenly for no reason a few colors are no longer available to me to paint with.

Idk if it helps but here's how I solved the brightshade issue in my current megabase world while keeping it aesthetically pleasing: Brightshade Gardens. I also went further and over the years I blocked the entire world with signs placed every 8 tiles so the rifts are no longer spawning when I don't need them. I left one area where I hammer down a sign once a year to enable one lunar rift so I could cycle through all three lunar mutant bosses. Then I place the sign back, rift closes, a new one doesn't spawn. I then walk through my Brightshade Gardens and get rid of 12-16 brightshades that spawn once a year and that's it.

Is this solution expensive? Hell yes. Is it worth it in the long run if you want to somewhat freely decorate with berry bushes again? To me, absolutely. 

Edited by Lovens

7 hours ago, Lovens said:

Idk if it helps but here's how I solved the brightshade issue in my current megabase world while keeping it aesthetically pleasing: Brightshade Gardens. I also went further and over the years I blocked the entire world with signs placed every 8 tiles so the rifts are no longer spawning when I don't need them. I left one area where I hammer down a sign once a year to enable one lunar rift so I could cycle through all three lunar mutant bosses. Then I place the sign back, rift closes, a new one doesn't spawn. I then walk through my Brightshade Gardens and get rid of 12-16 brightshades that spawn once a year and that's it.

Is this solution expensive? Hell yes. Is it worth it in the long run if you want to somewhat freely decorate with berry bushes again? To me, absolutely. 

Wow, what a clever thing you did there, and they do look beautiful. Very expensive indeed haha. But thank you for the suggestion. I give it a consideration in my next playthrough. Wish it wasn't limited to the shoreline

• Like 1