Frostjaw Feedback: player stuck on the ice island.

In winter, the ice island is larger than in other seasons. And when the player battles with the Frostjaw, it keeps getting smaller, eventually returning to its original size.

For most of the characters and single players, by the time this battle is over, the ice island has returned to its original size. But here's the problem - Their boat is still in its original position, three or four tiles away from the new edge of the ice island. Player can't get back to their ship.

For now, once players are in this situation, they have three options, none of them is feasible:

• Board the ice ship and then jump onto their ship through it. But sadly, the ice ships break up and the ice caps shrink so quickly that unless the player is very good at defeating frostjaw, or using a combat character, it's nearly impossible.
  • Board the ice ship and steer it back to their boat. This requires players to have an Oar, which a item not encouraged carry to the land. And you can't get wood on ice island to craft it.
  • Place a new boat. But the ice on the ocean would stop you doing that.

Here's a screenshot from one of my battles with Frostjaw: 

I think I beat Frostjaw fairly quickly: ice island didn't get much smaller. But looking at the situation, if I had been any slower, I would have missed this ice boat, and then if I hadn't carried oar, I would have been stuck on ice island.

2HF@B8VB(JY4EYMJLYBH.png.e1051da2e6cd7c544c803a4a0983b98e.png

In theory, winter is the best season for fighting Frostjaw: more space and more interesting scene-destroying effects. It would be very frustrating if the player defeated him but find themselves stranded on the island with him.

Here is some idea to solve this problem:

• Let the player need an Oar to start the battle, just like how the Iron Hulk in Hamlet prevents the player from getting stuck in the rock circle.
  • Give Frostjaw some kind ability and let him return the player to the boat like a dolphin. Or pull the boat over.

BTW I personally don't mind being defeated by the environment after defeating the boss, but even AFW gives the player four minutes and constant warning to escape the atrium before the mob regenerates, and the items needed to move through the atrium are exactly the same as those needed to fight AFW.

frostjaw should give you a blueprint for crafting an icesheet boat. I've been saying this since the update dropped. Would be good. It's so rudimentary, that it would only last for 30 seconds anyway. It would only serve one purpose and that would be to get to a boat that's too far,

9 minutes ago, chirsg said:

frostjaw should give you a blueprint for crafting an icesheet boat. I've been saying this since the update dropped. Would be good. It's so rudimentary, that it would only last for 30 seconds anyway. It would only serve one purpose and that would be to get to a boat that's too far,

Actually ice boats would be absolutely AMAZING for planting Knobbly Tree Nuts since you could just carry a nut on it and then let the ice boat break, no pitching winch needed 

Just now, Kubicska said:

Actually ice boats would be absolutely AMAZING for planting Knobbly Tree Nuts since you could just carry a nut on it and then let the ice boat break, no pitching winch needed 

It would allow players to plant knobbly trees in smaller water tiles where normal boats and grass rafts don’t fit

1 minute ago, Kubicska said:

Keep it down, would you?

31 minutes ago, Kubicska said:

you can already do that with grass boats

31 minutes ago, Kubicska said:

It would allow players to plant knobbly trees in smaller water tiles where normal boats and grass rafts don’t fit

ups, i see haha

4 hours ago, chirsg said:

Isn’t that what grass rafts are good for though??

…Maybe just maybe ice boats could be shot with an ice staff to make them permanent (but still fragile and breaks/melts if an object is burned on it similar to mini glaciers and beeswax)

It would be pretty need for decoration and I don’t know about you but I’d love to be jumping around little ice boats on the water purely for the aesthetic of it. 

Archived