How have you all been finding the Commander's Helmet?

In practice, the helmet breaks. Like, a lot, in my experience.

As it stands, I really don't like taking it to raid boss fights. It's a day to day helmet hidden behind winter. 
The way I play, I find myself facing an army of spiders regularly and it gets pretty dangerous.

One mistep, and I lose most of my durability.

Putting myself in such danger is what's also required to fix the helmet to begin with, and that ironically often leads to the helmet breaking.

What are all your experiences?

My experience has been the same, the regen is so little for the Commander's Helmet  that even If what I'm hitting wouldn't hit me back it would take a long while to fix some damage done to it. I know this because I went the Beefalo skill tree route first - not good I know - and leveled up the helmet skills second, even while riding an ornery Beefalo and using it to deal the damage any damage I took to the helmet while not riding or from Mctusk would take ages to fix and in the end I left a 22% Commander's Helmet at my base because even with an ornery tanking most of the damage the helmet regen wouldn't keep up with any small mistakes I made while not mounted and since I didn't have more Blue feathers near the end of spring to craft new ones I was scared it would break again.

My insight and tip? Don't bother with the Commander's Helmet, this is all that is good from its side of the skilltree:
image.png.1479c4db564901d89ea90d9b5b60f75a.png

Battle Helmets only have 17% less durability and are cheaper than the Commander's Helmet - also doesn't require the annoying blue feathers realistically only available during winter- and you can invest the rest of the Skill points somewhere else.

I find this a shame because Commander's Helmet art is incredible, but its aplication are really questionable, since the regen perk is bad, the only other things it has going for it is being your first planar armor - Which costs another skill point - and it giving you resistance against knock back in the head slot. I won't be using it as my first planar armor because I usually go for the lunar rift route first and I don't find Brighshade dangerous enough that 8 planar defense on a bad helmet would be of any importance, I'd rather get the +5 planar armor skill and craft Brishade helmet as my first armor. About the resistance against knock back... it is a really "niche" perk, I don't see myself using it because of this, I never had a need for knockback resistance while playing with any character in any part of the game, it shorterns the knock down animation when you get hit by the new bosses while riding a Beefalo, but the Beefalo Rider skills are also bad and fighting without a  beefalo is better as Wig, especially against those new bosses... so I'll be skiping this as well. 

Change suggestions: Up the rengen perk amount a bit and remove the need for you to be at full HP. Or up the regen perk greatly and keep the full hp requirement.
                                                                   or
                                   Make it buff Wig new weapons damage by 10% like Brightshade Helm does to the Brightshade Sword.
                                                                   or
                                   Make it increase Wig's song effects by a bit while wearing it. (I really like this one, I saw it in another post)

TLDR: The Virgin Commander's Helmet vs The Chad Battle Helmet.

For me, it has been like a worse (but more beautiful) version of the eye mask/dreadstone helmet. They're all made to be day to day armor that you can save resources on since they have regen. However, Wigfrid's battle helm is so cheap it wasn't necessary for her to have an exclusive armor with that gimmick, and the fact that the materials required are far from each other makes it worse. I like the idea of it enhancing song effects. Would be a great oportunity to make the forgotten songs good.

Spoiler

But my main problem is that it doesn't have the beautiful skins the battle helm does. Really?!

Archived