Wigfrid's skill tree makes a bad first impression. Lets fix that.

After experiencing most of Willow's skill tree from a fresh start in a survival, casual setting, I went on to check out Wigfrids, when I was about to get my first insight, I started thinking about which skill I'd choose first and I couldn't decide. Not because of enticing options, but a complete lack of them.

Here are Wigfrid's initial choices for the use of her insight:

• Noble Mount 1 (Beefalos take nearly 20 days to train)
  • Bragi's Blessing 1 (I don't have any songs crafted yet)
  • Hard Helm 1 (A stat increase)
  • Mystic Resilience (I'm not playing with active rifts)
  • A few skills locked behind battle songs, which I cannot stress enough, I Do Not Have any Yet

Almost every other character so far has received a few initial perks that give somewhat small, but engaging. This helps players find a starting point ant engage with a direction for skill trees. 

• Wilson's transmutation perks provide quick ways to exchange resources in a pinch, incentivizing you to work your way up to the iridescent gem craft
  • Wolfgang has coach whistle and Dumbell Developer, which add new options to gameplay
  • Woodie doesn't have as much immediately interesting, but can get a hard hat & walking cane after 2 insight
  • Wormwood has unique plant crafts.
  • Willow especially has hungry lighter and controlled burning, which are two massive QOL perks that fundamentally change how freely her lighter can be used.

In comparison, all of Wigfrid's interesting perks are locked behind obtaining battle  songs or 3 insight for the upgraded weapons. This makes her skill tree give an exceptionally poor first impression compared to existing skills.

So I have a proposal for a new initial skill to help get the ball rolling: Alternate Inspiration.

This skill gives Wigfrid alternate, slightly more attainable crafts for her songs. This helps her unlock her full potential sooner and by extension, unlock the additional skills at a reasonable point in a casual play-through. If people are concerned about making it too accessible, it can also be made so these alternate recipes are only available at the stage.

• Weaponized Warble: Sowing Kit Pigskin x 5
  • Heartrending Ballad: Life-giving Amulet Rose x 5
  • Clear-minded Cadenza: Moon Moth Wings Bulbous Lightbug
  • Bel Canto of Courage: Thulecite Medallion Glommer Goop?
  • Fire Proof Falsetto: Spittlefish Red Gem
  • Rude Interlude: Tomato Bucket-O-Poop
  • Startling Soliloquy: Purple Gem Telltale heart? (IDK)

I think she's in a really good place. To me, each song represents a specific "quest" she needs to go on to craft each song. 

I'm not a filthy roleplayer or anything like that, but a bit of casual roleplay won't hurt. She's a character who actually has objectives in that sense. 

this is in response to 

4 minutes ago, WenericMember said:

She's already such a strong character. Even before the skill trees. Now she has tools to rival the big dogs. She isn't just everyone's favorite cockroachette who refuses to die. 

3 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I think she's in a really good place. To me, each song represents a specific "quest" she needs to go on to craft each song. 

I'm not a filthy roleplayer or anything like that, but a bit of casual roleplay won't hurt. She's a character who actually has objectives in that sense. 

this is in response to 

She's already such a strong character. Even before the skill trees. Now she has tools to rival the big dogs. She isn't just everyone's favorite cockroachette who refuses to die. 

I don't disagree which is why it's not a new perk, rather making an old one more accesible, I also did try to preserve the identity of the "quest" type goals

Lunar island -> Lunar grotto (Lightbug)

Robbing Graves -> Scouring Fields (Roses only have a 1% chance of spawning outside of setpieces)

Tomato, purple gem and Sewing kit didn't really feel like quests, just a grind tbh

1 minute ago, WenericMember said:

Tomato, purple gem and Sewing kit didn't really feel like quests, just a grind tbh

To be fair, tomato and purple gem songs are pretty bad and arguably worse with the corresponding perk. Sewing kit you're going to want at some point for repairing clothes. Also it can drop from the stage. 

Like I said. She's in a good place 

1 minute ago, chirsg said:

To be fair, tomato and purple gem songs are pretty bad and arguably worse with the corresponding perk. Sewing kit you're going to want at some point for repairing clothes. Also it can drop from the stage. 

Like I said. She's in a good place 

My issue isn't really with her balance, my issue is that I look at her skill tree and don't want to bother bc it takes so long to get a skill that's meaningful in any capacity.

I'm more than open to other potential skills to improve Wigfrid's first impression, but I like this one because it explicitly doesn't affect her balance, just her accessibility.

This community has gone off the deep end. 

if the satisfaction is not immediate its a problem that needs to be solved.

27 minutes ago, WenericMember said:

A sewing kit is too much to ask for…?

This just screams “skill issue” to me idk how else to put it. 

1 minute ago, Ohan said:

This community has gone off the deep end. 

if the satisfaction is not immediate its a problem that needs to be solved.

A sewing kit is too much to ask for…?

This just screams “skill issue” to me idk how else to put it. 

I feel like you're misreading what I'm saying.

The sewing kit replacement isn't "too hard pls nerf" its "everything else is getting a new recipe so excluding this one specific one for no reason would be weird"

My intention was, as people are reasonably pointing out, getting concerned over power creep, so a perk aimed at convenience would be more appropriate than power. 

The title of the post is what I mean: Wigfrid's skill tree makes a bad first impression.  All of the initially available skills are stats, which are by far my least favourite aspect of the skill tree.  and to access any of the unique Beefalo or weapon perks, you have to spend at least two insight on stats.

I don't necessarily MIND spending insight on stats,  that can be important, but its effectively forced on you as wigfrid bc you won't have enough resources to use any of the song perks. You won't have enough songs for the song holder, Encore requires down feathers (Spring exclusive) and probably not enough for the stinger one.

Currently, I feel like I should horde insight until I've unlocked all the songs or immediately get the new combat gear, which I don't think was the intention with the insight system.

The alternative is to remove the unlock conditions for the song perks which I think is even less of a right answer.

5 hours ago, WenericMember said:

This skill gives Wigfrid alternate, slightly more attainable crafts for her songs. This helps her unlock her full potential sooner and by extension, unlock the additional skills at a reasonable point in a casual play-through. If people are concerned about making it too accessible, it can also be made so these alternate recipes are only available at the stage.

Why can't Klei driectly change the recipe?

5 hours ago, chirsg said:

this is in response to 

Dude, how are you allowed to type, what.

7 hours ago, NoodlemanNed said:

you cant collect roses, they turn into normal petals when picked

My bad lol I completely blanked on that fact.

5 hours ago, Saladmander_030 said:

Why can't Klei driectly change the recipe?

I feel like I can't stress enough: there is nothing inherently wrong with the current crafting recipes. The point was moreso that Wigfrid lacks an interesting initial Perk to engage with the skill tree.

Archived