remove active rift requirement for moon possesions

I think that the new moon phases for bosses should trigger no matter if there is an active rift.

Having that requirement only makes getting arks more difficult and with potential frustration of killing the the host in the moment the rift closes which in some cases, like bearger, means waiting for 1 year (atleast hostile flare exists for deerclops in case one new rift opens before winter ends)

On a mechanics level, sometimes I'd rather not have to deal with a horrible reanimated boss monster than get the upgraded loot and it's a relief to know that the rifts are closed so I won't have to, but I suppose that's what lighting the corpse on fire is for; it is already avoidable.

On a lore level I don't like it, at least not in this form, because the rifts or more specifically the gestalts crawling out of them are supposed to be the source of the disturbances and it's alarming to think that they can still possess mobs even when they shouldn't have any way to get in. That said, here's a version that I think is more consistent with the lore: Instead of having it happen automatically regardless of rift status after glassing the moon, let players trigger it during an encounter with some sort of gestalt-in-a-bottle item. Kind of like a Hostile Flare for the moon-possessed bosses.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:43 PM, arubaro said:

I think that the new moon phases for bosses should trigger no matter if there is an active rift.

Having that requirement only makes getting arks more difficult and with potential frustration of killing the the host in the moment the rift closes which in some cases, like bearger, means waiting for 1 year (atleast hostile flare exists for deerclops in case one new rift opens before winter ends)

I agree with this, it is so annoying when you kill something and it does not get possesed.

2 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

On a mechanics level, sometimes I'd rather not have to deal with a horrible reanimated boss monster than get the upgraded loot and it's a relief to know that the rifts are closed so I won't have to, but I suppose that's what lighting the corpse on fire is for; it is already avoidable.

On a lore level I don't like it, at least not in this form, because the rifts or more specifically the gestalts crawling out of them are supposed to be the source of the disturbances and it's alarming to think that they can still possess mobs even when they shouldn't have any way to get in. That said, here's a version that I think is more consistent with the lore: Instead of having it happen automatically regardless of rift status after glassing the moon, let players trigger it during an encounter with some sort of gestalt-in-a-bottle item. Kind of like a Hostile Flare for the moon-possessed bosses.

you can think arround the idea of gestals from a rift roaming

right now is annoying because you need to summon vargs before a rift is active to guarantee having a varg when a rift is active, you need to keep bosses alive until a rift opens which later on are annoying to find because they roam.. i get why the mechanic was designed like this but is annoying when translated to real gameplay

and as you said, if someone doesnt want to fight them they can simply burn the body

Some sort of perma-rift active on the moon island (once rifts are first activated) could be a compromise. One that doesn't spawn things on other islands/the main continent, but can be used to access rift content on that island regardless of whether a mainland rift is open.

On 10/8/2023 at 6:39 AM, maradyne said:

Some sort of perma-rift active on the moon island (once rifts are first activated) could be a compromise. One that doesn't spawn things on other islands/the main continent, but can be used to access rift content on that island regardless of whether a mainland rift is open.

I don't think Hunts, Bearger or Deerclops appear on Lunar Island though right?

5 hours ago, maradyne said:

image.png.9468eb209fccb1b088b90514540736a7.png

i dont see it as a good solution to force them be in the island

also, for some reason, klei seems that changed their mind about mutations, now they are possession by gestals coming from a portal to the moon realm(?) instead of keep adding moon mutation for the moon island and moon storm (see what happend to frog rain...)

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

also, for some reason, klei seems that changed their mind about mutations, now they are possession by gestals coming from a portal to the moon realm(?) instead of keep adding moon mutation for the moon island and moon storm (see what happend to frog rain...)

The lunar island is already full of gestalts. The ones that come out of the rifts are also a slightly different type of gestalts from the ones that show up on the lunar island or during the moonstorms, but the general idea that gestalts have to be present for the mutations to happen is consistent.

39 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

The lunar island is already full of gestalts. The ones that come out of the rifts are also a slightly different type of gestalts from the ones that show up on the lunar island or during the moonstorms, but the general idea that gestalts have to be present for the mutations to happen is consistent.

you dont see gestals possessing hounds, birds or pengulls. That gestals only possessed players to leech their energy and to fill their head with promises (you see the hunger bar dropping when your character falls sleep)

the point of my comment is that they can add more mutations for the previous moon stuff. They just added the mentioned above and they birds dont even appear in the moon island (i know there are farms that are made in moon island to kill birds without managing sanity with wicker), neither you see possessed frog rains in moon island or during moon storms

the firsts mutations were caused by alters influence without the need of a gestal, all the new ones are gestals possesing mobs, plants and bosses and they have planar damage and defense because of that, they come from another plane

kinda offtopic and maybe it should be in his own thread but i was in need of throw the following 

having gestals comming from another plane needs also an explanation. Shadows were since the beginning a force from another realm that came to the constant throw the gateway and the fissures and for that makes sense that now, if new big fissures appears, is allowed for new creatures to come to the constant but gestals aren't the same, they are part of alter which already is here, no gateway needed, for some reason a part of alter cocoon fall and you experience his surface. Also, is Alter from this plane or what? how they come to the constant? there is no moon gateaway (unless is the one from the archives). Idk i feel like is kinda "we just want to add counter part to shadows" even if i like rift stuff and wagstaff shenanigans. Is like they dropped alters mutation to add wagstaff's shenanigans mutations

also charlie asking for dreadstone that you adquire from the prisoner that she captured with DREADSTONE makes little sense lore wise, also daywalker finding rifts before they happend... but i dont care about this last thing

i know the contant has rare time line but i dont think that should justify inconsistencies in the lore

Archived