How to make a zoomed-out timelapse?

Cheers. I was wondering if there's a way to create a gameplay timelapse video of the entire map, without UI, while I as the player can still tend to the game - ie. zoomed in, UI, etc.

I first though that this was what @JohnFrancis did in the recent ocean-drinking short or the previous magma vs. ocean video, but upon taking a closer look these seem like the game was played only while paused and/or the screen recording was meticulously edited (or there's no gameplay at all).

Is there some way to gather whole-map screenshots on a frequent-enough basis that a timelapse video with recognisable gameplay could be made? (I reckon a frame every 15-60 seconds..?)

8 minutes ago, myxal said:

upon taking a closer look these seem like the game was played only while paused and/or the screen recording was meticulously edited (or there's no gameplay at all).

I'm pretty sure this is what he did.  It helps to set a hotkey so you can return to the exact same camera location.

9 minutes ago, myxal said:

Is there some way to gather whole-map screenshots on a frequent-enough basis that a timelapse video with recognisable gameplay could be made? (I reckon a frame every 15-60 seconds..?)

There's no real way to do this in the base game.  A mod would probably be possible, but I don't think there are any that do that currently.  It may be kind of laggy though.  I don't know how much of the autosave pause is due to rendering timelapse frames, but I think it's a non-trivial amount.

Archived