What are some use cases for the new critter traps?

If you are unaware, the latest update included a revamp to the critter traps. They are reusable and are now compatible with automation wires. Enabling/disabling via the input and signaling a triggered trap with the output.

Besides making fish less annoying to move and the possibilities of a janky shinebug lantern system I can't think of many other uses for this.

Has anyone thought of interesting uses for this?

You can use them for automated baby critter removal. Autowrangle still not works. Traps work

Apd. Hmm... Technically it is possible to automatically change number of critters in ranch depending on your needs. Add logic cheme that counts how many you want and switch on traps if there are excess. Sadly its not possible to automate critter transport... 

2 hours ago, Primalflower said:

they are necessary for gassy moo ranching. When gassy moos 'reproduce', their descendant falls down from the top of the map, in a random fashion. It is necessary to place airborne critter traps at the top of the map to work with this.

Couldn't you set up a critter drop off to auto wrangle the surplus like with shine bugs? I suppose it is faster with a trap, but not exceedingly so.

1 hour ago, asurendra said:

Sadly its not possible to automate critter transport... 

Critter traps influence critters to go towards them right? At least the flying one appears to do this. Maybe they could be used to direct critter movement, after which they are cut off by a critter sensor and some cleverly placed doors to move critters with little dupe involvement.

16 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Critter traps influence critters to go towards them right? At least the flying one appears to do this. Maybe they could be used to direct critter movement, after which they are cut off by a critter sensor and some cleverly placed doors to move critters with little dupe involvement.

Wow. Now I need to build zero dupes ranch... 

12 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Couldn't you set up a critter drop off to auto wrangle the surplus like with shine bugs?

it would be inconsistent, unfortunately. I've had lots of trouble with auto-wrangling critter dropoffs with this particular purpose.

On 8/7/2023 at 4:26 AM, ButterStuffed said:

Has anyone thought of interesting uses for this?

The ability to finally re-capture baby pufts (and other flying critters) after a dupe drops it, without waiting 5 cycles for them to mature, is a god-send.

I didn't even notice the automation option. I'll have a look at that this evening - it could replace my prince dispenser, I'm thinking.

I'll also be checking out the trap's interaction (when automated or not) with the mechanised airlock. A simpler/more compact critter dropper would be very welcome.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:45 AM, Primalflower said:

it would be inconsistent, unfortunately. I've had lots of trouble with auto-wrangling critter dropoffs with this particular purpose.

Auto-wrangle doesn't generate errands on baby critters. Flying, walking - doesn't matter.

It makes it much less tedious to catch critters in the wild. What i mean by that is that some areas are large vertical spaces and waiting for a critter like a drecko to get in range might take time and then the rancher goes to sleep. With this you just place the trap and wait. It helps to catch stray critters flying around your base without having to manage doors.

I didn`t check if they overheat. If not then it`s better to catch slicksters in hot areas. Also managing the number of fish is finally possible.

Archived