fire, thermodynamics changes, CHEESE??? (some insights into the future of ONI) #chattyJarrett

Not really "future of ONI", both the question and the answer were in the realm of dreams and fantasies ;)

It's good to see devs share our dream of fire and marshmallows, but don't expect it anytime soon...

Edit: oooooooh, you cut the 2nd answer, that I remember to be something like candy world/realm, bright and colorful sweet items everywhere. With skin system that vision comes closer and closer with each update. yay!

Actually, @Jarrett mentioned one serious thing I had been whining about since the very beginning of ONI.  And I'm glad that it does bother them too, so they realize what a big lack it is for ONI. 

Yes, fire, chemical, and thermodynamic shenanigans  would undoubtedly bring  a lot of ONI players back to the game (especially CHEESE).

But without encouraging players to have a variety of food in their colonies, ONI will never feel complete. Look at 90% of players' bases: one farm, one 96-room, millions of calories of the same food.  Doesn't it feel like some design flaw, a concept that they haven't fully developed yet? Lost possibilities? Players just don't bother. Why should they? Apparently, the game doesn't incentivize them enough. There's no desirable reward for that.  

And why is that so important? To produce different foods, you have to deal with lots of various mechanics, more logistics involved, and more stuff to mess around with. Isn't that the prioritized objective when you design your game? To design it so your players don't play with 20 % of your work? So the final look of your base looks diverse, full of contrasts and different events?

Some nights, I still cry before bed, remembering how painfully the medical part of the game still remains undeveloped after so many years. In fact, just simply adding a recipe for a pill that gives your dupe + 10ish to all attributes but has a 50 % chance of side effects that should be cured by a doctor in a hospital would give the most bases  a fully  functioning sickbay, which would be interesting to watch (visually rewarding) & improve. Imagine having a little "Theme Hospital" in ONI. Sometimes you see dupes around with side effects from the pills: a dupe with a huge head/leg/arm/eye (overgrowth Syndrome) building solar panels; a guy running backwards; werewolf syndrome;  a dupe acting like a peep or hatch, hugging dupe, a single-leg jumping dupe, confused errands. You can GO WILD with side effects, but the important thing is that it gives players visual rewards that are funny to watch or annoying, so you're tempted to improve your hospital machines to have fewer side effects. Yes, some work for artists/animators but isn't that the reason why the game is so successful, you know,  breaking the laws of physics to see your dupe melt? 

got off topic. So yes, encouraging a variety of foods is the right way to go for so many reasons!

p.s. make a dlc or ONI2 a new game Fire included with fire, detailed nuclear reactors with rods (DYI reactors), not just a ready machine, new pressure mechanics, hostile aliens, whatever, you'll get your money. This market niche is empty (just Stationeers looks pretty promising, but you play as a dupe)

That new guy @Sabastian looks promising, I bet he knows how to tame С#. Charge him with that.

As pether said: "fantasies" for us, work (and money) for you

1 hour ago, kolyapedal said:

Look at 90% of players' bases

I'm curious... How do you look what 100% of players' bases look like in a single player game that maybe ~5-10% streams it to conclude that 90% have very specific builds? It seems like you are disappointed at how other people play but it's still a single player game. Everyone plays the way the see fit. If you want to grow mealwood forever, you can find ways to do that. Same goes for any food. Forcing people to have a variety of food "just because" doesn't seem such a good reason to me.

As for diseases, using mods will make things really interesting for you perhaps.

10 hours ago, kolyapedal said:

pether, with that attitude we won't get much. gotta be more persistent

I don't think twisting dev's words, creating fake hype and demanding really, REALLY difficult things will get you much either...

And I wouldn't like my question causing devs to think twice next time before answering me or even consider next stream due to worries about breaking some NDAs or giving players false hopes and expectations.

Yes, fire would be fun. Chemistry system would be great. Yes, food variety sounds fun. But please don't spin the narrative that this is the future of ONI because somebody on stream said he liked the idea.

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

Forcing people to have a variety of food "just because"

sorry, you missed my point

59 minutes ago, pether said:

and demanding really, REALLY difficult things

really, REALLY that difficult?

Have you seen that new guy Sabastian? ;o) Looks extremely skilled

59 minutes ago, pether said:

please don't spin the narrative that this is the future of ONI because somebody on stream said he liked the idea.

you realize that they talk about that bts and we got some intel. ok, let it be "possible future"

take it easy guys

9 minutes ago, kolyapedal said:

really, REALLY that difficult?

dude, you can't just spin the narrative it's the future of ONI and then selectively ignore parts of your own clip that don't fit what you would like to hear. even in linked, out-of-context video you can see and hear Jarrett being overwhelmed how hard would it be to make it in a compelling and compatable way.

and if you want this topic to be about food diversity, don't name it "Fire, chemistry, thermodynamics - future of ONI - Jarrett got too chatty". It's a lie, it's misleading and it's the best way to make sure Jarrett will never chat with us again...

2 hours ago, pether said:

it's the best way to make sure Jarrett will never chat with us again...

okay, okay you convinced me with that, I like Jarrett and missed him. Apparently I got too excited and the limit didn't let me put "possible" into the title (I could not sacrifice cheese) 

Ok so this looks like they would want to do a lot of stuff many of us thought about as well. It sounds really cool but can it happen?

Doing proper thermodynamics at this point of the game sounds like a  ridiculous amount of work for very little gain. Like most players won`t even realize if something changed. But to do it it would require a ton of changes to how elements behave to heat transfer etc. At least for me it seems unrealistic.

Chemical reactions would be something close to my heart. There are a few ways it can be done though. Easiest way would be to make a mixing station where you put a bunch of stuff and see what happens (kinda like Astroneer handles it - 2 resource nuggets in + a gas and a better resource out). But you could also go full out and make stuff react "in the wild" which would enable cool designs but potentially cause a ton of issues.

Fire sounds like a cool system to add. But is it going to be just burning buildings and plants a`la DS or are they going to make it an actual chemical reaction with oxygen (that could kill your base in no time btw). Also i don`t want another system that does nothing unless you screw up. I can see spontaneous combustion and emergency sprinklers but the again we got phosphorus in the game and that thing burns even under water and in CO2.

As for cheese they couldn`ve just added it as a microbe musher recipie for brackene but it probably needs more ingredeints to make it more of a late game thing.

Archived