Maxwell Tree Ideas

i know it is all ramblings of an maxwell main
but the forum is about this, giving ideas

first tree, the Umbral Mastery
1-Puppeteer encore :you can spawn one more shadow before reaching the treshold
2-Dapper and polish : maxwell sanity is increased to 20/min
3-Shadow Guard: Spawn two shadow's that envolves in to maxwell giving him 25 more temporary health ( Spawned via Codex umbra and costs two shadow slots, costs 10% usage)
4-Puppeteer Master: Shadows only take an maximum of 15 damage

Second tree: Book affinity 
1- Dark readings: Reads books faster
2- Dark arts: can read books fast as before, can cancel animations of books
3- shadow killer- a skill that lets you kill all your shadows
4- wicker books dont instantly spawn shadows when read under the sanity limit

third tree still thinking about it But the idea is shadow tools ( old wanda and maxwell dont get the sanity penalties)
1- Shadow axe ( dark sword drain, axe or golden axe+ 2 nigthmare fuel, spear damage, 600 uses) can spawn some "shadow hits" costs 5 sanity 
2- Shadow pick axe (dark sword drain, pickaxe or golden pickaxe+ 2 nigthmare fuel, spear damage, 200 uses) can spawn some "shadow hits" costs 5 sanity 
3-Shadow shovel (dark sword drain, axe or golden axe+ 2 nigthmare fuel, spear damage, 200 uses) automatically places the dug item in your inventory

4-Dark Sword mastery- Craft the sword II, ( 1 Dread stone + 5 nigthmare fuel) 68 damage and 20 planar damage, can only be held by maxwell

fourth and final tree-shadow affinity

1- Shadow jailer- shadow prisions can be casted from further
2- Shadow fear- Shadow sneaks Can slow bosses movement
3-  Queen's King = Shadows are neutral to maxwell
4- Shadow embracer= All shadow equipment is counts as an uptier ( tier I= Tier II, Tier II- Tier III, Tier III- IV)
5- True Shadow King= shadows get planar damage, and maxwell gets planar defence when wearing shadow armors
6-shadow mirros, shadows that follow maxwell's and copy his movements

and some ideas like shadow boat rower, shadow guard, that only attacks hostile mobs, or mobs attacking maxwell ( sick of puppets attacking neutral mobs )

47 minutes ago, Ulisesvolador said:

Maxwell look rework

i didnt fully understand, but probably you are talking about an lunnar maxwell?
i had my hopes all UP about that, ultil wormwood rework not having an lunar side
i dont see klei fully reworking him in the update

1 minute ago, edulopes said:

i had my hopes all UP about that, ultil wormwood rework not having an lunar side

I meant reworking the looks of Maxwell, he doesn't look like if he was wearing a suit, but I also agree that he should have lunar affinity branch, afterall Klei said that every character will have the option to choose.

5 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Maxwell shadow affinity skill: After screaming "Charlie? Its me, Maxwell dont starve!" billion times, The Quenn finally remembers who you are and wont bite your backside anymore

The Fun part is This IS an possibility, but i loved the way you placed It XD 

(No more Sad dying Maxwell noises in the shasows and not mantaining the appearences anymore )

16 minutes ago, Ulisesvolador said:

I meant reworking the looks of Maxwell, he doesn't look like if he was wearing a suit, but I also agree that he should have lunar affinity branch, afterall Klei said that every character will have the option to choose.

Ohhh now i understood, great Idea, now that i stopped to remember his base skin, it's suit should be a bit more like solo ds should be cool but probably is harder to do in a smaller model

35 minutes ago, edulopes said:

Ohhh now i understood, great Idea, now that i stopped to remember his base skin, it's suit should be a bit more like solo ds should be cool but probably is harder to do in a smaller model

image.thumb.png.2ce7bf3f21d4993500b77c2f7409a766.png

He doesn't have much details in his original form, so it shouldn't be difficult and we already have the Wilson Shadow Suit, which is veeeeery similar (in shape), anyways when Maxwell skill tree drops I will fight for that, because if @chirsg taught me something, is: "If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!".

A lot of the suggestions are just powered- up versions of Maxwell's existing abilities. I am not a fan of these kinds of skills in the skill tree. For example, if Maxwell's current sanity regen was too weak, why add more sanity regen on a skill tree instead of balancing his base sanity regen ability? If it's already good enough as base, adding more using a skill tree would make the ability too OP. The skill trees should not be remedies to what the character lacks, but just additional playstyle options that give more flexibility on how to play the character. Maxwell specially is already in a strong spot right now, he does not need his existing power to increase even further. The only thing he will need as a power boost from the tree is having his puppets deal planar damage as they are not suitable for fighting the new enemies without planar abilities.

One suggestion I had was to give maxwell an alternative shadow puppet in the form of the big eating inkblight. Summoning this will disable summoning other shadow puppet types and maxwell will instead have just one tankier inkblight (kind like having his own bernie). While summoned, maxwell cant lose or gain sanity, but his sanity drains overtime. He will also be immune to shadow monsters and cant use any of his other summoning spells (but can still use prison and trap). Once sanity reaches zero, the inkblight disappears and maxwell's sanity and spells return to normal. 

Another suggestion I had was for his shadow alignment to add planar dmg to all of his summons when wearing shadow tier gears (+10 planar to each duelist, +25 planar to inkblight)

4- Shadow embracer= All shadow equipment is counts as an uptier ( tier I= Tier II, Tier II- Tier III, Tier III- IV)

The current Maxwell gets stronger depending on the Tier of the shadow item.

it would be good to eliminate this and put it in his skill tree, so he can get stronger regardless of the shadow item he is using.

4 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

:shock:

At least lower his health if you do that.

It was the same for solo ds that's why

But yeah those are some crude ideias, i still think Those skills arent as ballanced as they should be 

3 hours ago, BB Marioni said:

A lot of the suggestions are just powered- up versions of Maxwell's existing abilities. I am not a fan of these kinds of skills in the skill tree. For example, if Maxwell's current sanity regen was too weak, why add more sanity regen on a skill tree instead of balancing his base sanity regen ability? If it's already good enough as base, adding more using a skill tree would make the ability too OP. The skill trees should not be remedies to what the character lacks, but just additional playstyle options that give more flexibility on how to play the character. Maxwell specially is already in a strong spot right now, he does not need his existing power to increase even further. The only thing he will need as a power boost from the tree is having his puppets deal planar damage as they are not suitable for fighting the new enemies without planar abilities.

One suggestion I had was to give maxwell an alternative shadow puppet in the form of the big eating inkblight. Summoning this will disable summoning other shadow puppet types and maxwell will instead have just one tankier inkblight (kind like having his own bernie). While summoned, maxwell cant lose or gain sanity, but his sanity drains overtime. He will also be immune to shadow monsters and cant use any of his other summoning spells (but can still use prison and trap). Once sanity reaches zero, the inkblight disappears and maxwell's sanity and spells return to normal. 

Another suggestion I had was for his shadow alignment to add planar dmg to all of his summons when wearing shadow tier gears (+10 planar to each duelist, +25 planar to inkblight)

Well i tried to follow Klei New trees, that added mostly buffed an caracter existing Power or remover some downside, and game some of Mine ideias of having old DS Powers integrantes toguether

I too am certainly that he needs some planar damage, 

I think the shadow armor IS an cool Idea and unique, not as powerful (Trading 2 duellists for health is an great thing for me and in my opnion is an option, and what i understanded about skill trees)

well that Ink bligth Idea ia good, but How It Will be coded It Will be worth It? If the dps IS foi high It Will Destroy the early game after killing the fuel Weaver If the dps IS too low It Will be useless almost

i am ALL for New puppets because more options IS more fun but those things i could not think still

6 hours ago, edulopes said:

Maxwell has already chosen charlie's side in the trailors. Also if Wormwood can not choose, Maxwell probably can not.

1 hour ago, SullyD said:

The current Maxwell gets stronger depending on the Tier of the shadow item.

it would be good to eliminate this and put it in his skill tree, so he can get stronger regardless of the shadow item he is using.

That is an thing that i got some thinking off but maybie this is a too much for the early game but who knows. Probably you até rigth in not giving him more Power in late game and early 

I like the Idea of scalling caracteres and after using Maxwell rework for quite sn while now after i get dread armor is game over for the game  but before i wolf have to do some work for It ( ruins and bla bla bla)

21 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Maxwell has already chosen charlie's side in the trailors. Also if Wormwood can not choose, Maxwell probably can not.

I would not say traitor hehe but yeah probably Maxwell os locked on shadow mode, but his lunnar skin days otherwhise " i souldnt dismissed the lunar Power só early" that is why i dont kill this possibility but i say that is an low probability one

27 minutes ago, edulopes said:

That is an thing that i got some thinking off but maybie this is a too much for the early game but who knows. Probably you até rigth in not giving him more Power in late game and early 

I like the Idea of scalling caracteres and after using Maxwell rework for quite sn while now after i get dread armor is game over for the game  but before i wolf have to do some work for It ( ruins and bla bla bla)

I would not say traitor hehe but yeah probably Maxwell os locked on shadow mode, but his lunnar skin days otherwhise " i souldnt dismissed the lunar Power só early" that is why i dont kill this possibility but i say that is an low probability one

Wormwood has a Shadow skin aswell.

The only thing I wanted was for the Void gear to give 90% protection and not 80%, and you can increase the planar protection a little.

Also, an alternative may be a completely different armor that will protect better than the above armor.

1 hour ago, Danila6300 said:

The only thing I wanted was for the Void gear to give 90% protection and not 80%, and you can increase the planar protection a little.

Also, an alternative may be a completely different armor that will protect better than the above armor.

well they could make some dark armors more porwerfull (planar defence, maybie?)on maxwell, and lunar armors work like dark armor too thinking about this side ( i doubt the lunar part though)

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Wormwood has a Shadow skin aswell.

true true, forgot about that one

Maxwell doesn't need too many buffs, I'd rather work on giving alt powers.

-Shadow Embracer: Duelist only gains 1 tier boost max, Maxwell gets a damage boost based on the equipment he's wearing.
-Focus Prison: Casting Shadow Prison works by clicking a single target after selecting the spell, targeted entity is caged for thrice of the normal duration.
-Disingenuous Sneak: The Shadow Sneak moves slowly to targets, it has less effective range, sneak activates 1 second later after a target enters inside the range.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:05 AM, Neu7ral said:

targeted entity is caged for thrice of the normal duration.

this one even for me seems too powerful, because 3 times mor suposing 10 secs aproximatelly would be around 30 secs for bosses

The Shadow Sneak moves slowly

this is cool and all but shadow sneak is already good in its own for certain aspects, but id rather have an slow om bosses

Shadow Embracer: Duelist only gains 1 tier boost max, Maxwell gets a damage boost based on the equipment he's wearing.

that deppends, are you implying all you gear should get one boost? or just one piece should get the boost?
then maxwell himself would get a boost to damage? in my eyes maxwell never should have an personal boost, because in the end he is frail and he give all his power to his minions

16 minutes ago, edulopes said:

(snip)

1) -Sacrifices crowd control to single target control, useful on bosses when you need reposition, I may have gone too far with the duration though, hehe.

2) -Fair enough!

3) -It's my personal peeve I have against Wanda for having shadow damage boost. :P (also minions only gets 1 level boost from every piece, Maxwell gets a boost on himself for the original level, one can be frail and do a hugeton of damage.)

I had hoped for it originally back when maxwell was getting changed but I hope they focus a bit on his affinity with magic in general, better uses for staves, perhaps even upgrading amulets, or perhaps introducing new magic items or new interactions with current ones...

(like the nightmare-light, drives me nuts that this thing is basically a waste of nightmare-fuel unless you are in the single player ruins of ds, when the cycle ended all shadows would die as if killed by the player, free fuel if I recall)

On 7/27/2023 at 1:07 AM, ZeRoboButler said:

I had hoped for it originally back when maxwell was getting changed but I hope they focus a bit on his affinity with magic in general, better uses for staves, perhaps even upgrading amulets, or perhaps introducing new magic items or new interactions with current ones...

I was thinking the same thing. He has been studying the staffs for years and should have a better knowledge on unlocking there secrets. 

I would also like to see a Shadow planer damage enchant he can cast on others. Something like how he boosted Wolfgangs strength in his animation short.

It would be a new spell that cost 5 codex durability or a -5 a sec sanity degen to keep up the concentration.

T1 Enchant others with 5 planer damage

T2  Enchant others with 10 planer damage

T3  Enchant others with 15 planer damage

T4  Enchant others with 20 planer damage

He could Enchant his duelist, beefalo, teammates and/or followers with this new skill but I don't think he should be able to do it on himself.

@edulopes You got some really fun ideas here and I def like where your heads at for Maxwell's Skill Tree. I've been playing a lot of Maxwell since his rework, so I'm eager to see what his skill tree offers. Please allow me to piggyback and elaborate on some of your ideas.

Longer Shadow Prison: I would love to see this. What if there was a 4-tier branch that would enhance the spell. Each of the first 3 tiers would add 2 seconds to the boss timer and 3 seconds to the mob timer, giving us 6 more seconds for bosses and 9 more seconds for mobs. Then the 4th tier adds a little damage to the Shadow Prison. Something like 10 damage every 2-3 seconds to those imprisoned. That would definitely be worth 4 Insight points to me.

More Shadow Minions: I really like this idea but wouldn't want to see too many more. I believe each summons requires about 30 points of sanity, so what if we had a 3-tier branch where each tier adds 10 points of sanity to Maxwell's total sanity. By the end you would have enough sanity to summon one more Shadow Minion. THEN... at the end of the branch it splits into 3 options, and we borrow the idea from @BB Marioni said about summoning InkBlights (or maybe tier 2 Shadow Chess Pieces)... it would be pretty sweet if you could summon one of those guys. Their HP and damage are already legit so the Devs won't really need to tweak it any (but the SCP you would). After you earn the first 3 tiers of the branch, you can choose ONE Inkblight, Rasp, Shriek, or Jitters, which will add one more circle to the Codex Umbra spell-wheel... and summoning one of them costs 100 sanity. I would choose Shriek... just imagine having aerial fire power plus a couple of Duelists for boss fights.

Then maybe some new craftables, like your Dreadstone Sword/Club idea... plus some new armor pieces befitting of Maxwell. This could be 3-tier branch sort of like what Woodie has.

A Dreadstone Sword would look super badass and should clearly have a self-repairing feature (and future skin options). To balance it out, I vote for 51 damage and 100 uses, making it a Tentacle Spike that can self repair.

Then, what if Maxwell could enhance Night Armor and Thulecite Crowns with Pure Horror?

Pure Night Armor: 1 Night Armor (at any %) + 3-4 Pure Horror = Pure Night Armor that has 3 little dark orbs (like Shriek shoots) floating around Maxwell that do damage to enemies as they pass through them.

Horror Crown: 1 Thule Crown (at any %) + 3-4 Pure Horror = A crown that has a longer lasting shield which is dark colored like the Fuel Weaver's shield... so maybe no light source when activated.

This would basically give Maxwell the ability to enhance/recycle used armor... which might be a fun/useful feature.

Then one more skill set I would like to see is something similar to Wilson's Torch Skill branch but for Night Lights. Two sides, 3 tiers each, one side enhances the light radius of the Night Light and one side enhances the duration. Might help make Night Lights a more viable light source option for Maxwell mains.

I think these could be some fun ideas for Maxwell's skill tree that wouldn't be too difficult for the Devs to pull off, but either way, can't wait to see what happens.

PS: during the skill tree beta, it would def be interesting to pair Maxwell and Wendy together since they are both summoners and have backstory together.

@MrMNWorm i loved your ideas, and i like the new crafts, i always love Options 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:59 PM, MrMNWorm said:

Then one more skill set I would like to see is something similar to Wilson's Torch Skill branch but for Night Lights. Two sides, 3 tiers each, one side enhances the light radius of the Night Light and one side enhances the duration. Might help make Night Lights a more viable light source option for Maxwell mains.

well shadow ligths is in an complicated state for me, even with maxwell buffing it, in my eyes it should get an CRAZY buff for everyone too, the item is too useless for me, because those fuels have too many good uses, besides fuel for the nigthlight

Archived