Pillar has technically actually become a better wall

Okay, I know walls are the worst and only worse thing this game does on blocking mobs. But wall also the only legal building blocking mobs it's be allowed, encouraged, and considered to be placed in a neat, compact manner that will block the mobs.

As part of the Blocking mob feature, when it is not a complete surround, the mob will bypass them, the wall is also given a health bar, to allow mobs that can't bypass the wall can attack it to make way for themselves as balance.

Pillar also be allowed, encouraged, and considered to be placed in a neat, compact manner that will block the mobs, has all the functions of a wall. BUT it doesn't have health bars This makes the pillar, for the most part, an almost wall with infinite health.

Spoiler

9908616_QQ20230720211954.thumb.png.c2d349b40dc35a48615010650c12f6c0.png

With such powerful advantages, it's not even that much more expensive than a wall:

• Stone wall: 0.33 cut stone / wall
  • Wood wall: 0.25 board + 0.125 rope / wall
  • Pillar: 0.25 cut stone + 0.5 board / wall

or you could argue that 2*2 walls lack use value outside of super advanced auto farms, so you can multiply this number by two but still not much more expensive.

If we take the use of wayfinding mechanism into account, things can get worse:

First of all, walls are bad compared to use of wayfinding mechanism. Ever since players discovered that anything with collision volume (like statues and fossils) is better than a wall, the role of walls has become more about redirecting creatures to something that can actually block them.

In this context, the pillar still stands out because it has infinite life, and you can safely use aoe attacks like trebuchets next to it without worrying about wearing them out. They can also be used to redirect some creatures that will actively attack the wall without worrying about them breaking it out.

It's not over yet. Same acts as a barrier with no health, pillar sometime even better than statues, fossils or lureplant, not just because it fits snugly easily, because it takes 40+ times destroy before it is truly destroyed:

Spoiler

20230720211236_1.thumb.jpg.8df0ab1ab6c4ee414851960f0f5af92b.jpg

(This video is not accelerated)

Congratulation, we've now finally taken away the last of the wall's functionality, can developers now admit that it's a thing that serves no purpose other than decoration? Remove health bar at least so it doesn't torment players who use it to decorate their bases?

Just kidding, I would prefer to buff wall to actually mobs block, but this also is a good direction, walls are really useful for decoration.

they should make it so some walls are not breakable by certain enemies, like wood wall not being damaged by spiders and stone walls mot being damaged by hounds (and also give us an option to redirect the mobs aswell)

its way less op than it sounds, and if they really think is very overpowered, add a new hound in hound waves that dogs the ground and goes thru walls

6 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

they should make it so some walls are not breakable by certain enemies, like wood wall not being damaged by spiders and stone walls mot being damaged by hounds (and also give us an option to redirect the mobs aswell)

its way less op than it sounds, and if they really think is very overpowered, add a new hound in hound waves that dogs the ground and goes thru walls

I think a better compromise would be to actually give them good hp the very reason they suck is because they're so easy for mobs to break them unless you trick them.

24 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Sigh, I don't think this will be easy solved unless designers give up the arrogant idea that "threats should be directed at something because it works in these area"

Sooner or later, someone will want an unstoppable monster to run through or destroy walls, forgetting that this is the only reason players use walls. Just like explosive resistance did with gunpowder, or BS did with farm, or powder monkey and wavey jones did with mast sets. 

Players finds a way. It is undesirable and impossible to dictate how they play the game.

5 hours ago, _zwb said:

Nah walls are still necessary, because they're the only structure that keeps its collision even unloaded

Thanks. I forgot to test it.

I still keep my perspective and feel sad that the only function the wall retains is it.

Archived