Auto-Medbed Assignment if Inside Hospital

Welcome to another episode of Magheat2009's controversial suggestions.

Ever wondered why Duplicants don't get assigned automatically to medbeds when their health falls below a certain level despite a slider existing for it? This is because that would be OP and seriously damage mechanics like scalding. However, having to manually do such things is not what Oxygen Not Included as all about.

My solution is to automatically assign duplicants to medbed if the medbed is assigned to a hospital. You will be able to assign one medbed only per hospital. You will still be able to assign duplicants to medbed manually if the medbed is not assigned to a hospital.

You might say how does this make it less OP? This is because taking the time and space out to build several hospitals is something one forgets to do. One usually slaps down a single hospital and calls it a day. I have play-tested this suggestion, using Cairath's Wounded go to Medbeds mod and restricting myself to only building medbeds inside hospitals. Sick duplicants will also use medbeds automatically if inside a hospital. This will provide a quarantine effect and stop radiation vomiting from spilling all over your base.

Why is this post not in the suggestions and feedback forum? Because the entire Oxygen Not Included forum is almost dead. It does not make sense to separate posts in various forum categories when you get like 2 posts in an entire day. There is almost no response/discussion, and it feels like shouting in the void.

Dupes who have quite low health (somewhere around 20%) do get automatically assigned a cot and will deliver themselves if still mobile, or get hauled if the damage keeps going and knocks them out. It's just not based on the slider.

Honestly it's a pretty good system. You can use the slider to filter out dupes who "need" medical treatment - like I ignore damage above 90% and do recovery when convenient below 85%, but there's still a safety net if a dupe gets really hammered such that they absolutely, unquestionably need to GTFO from where they are.

3 hours ago, blakemw said:

absolutely, unquestionably need to GTFO from where they are.

This also ensures that med-beds don't make health damage redundant. As by the time dupes get to 20 health, they are already screwed quite often. I still think using hospitals for automatic assignment is a good idea, as it makes hospitals useful while adding management time cost to automatic healing. Also, after this suggestion, no one should be able to accuse me of trying to just make the game harder.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:01 AM, Magheat2009 said:

Ever wondered why Duplicants don't get assigned automatically to medbeds when their health falls below a certain level despite a slider existing for it? This is because that would be OP and seriously damage mechanics like scalding.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it would be OP for duplicants to automatically use the triage cot when injured?

My two cents, the triage cots sliders should function just like the massage table's sliders.  If a dupe's health falls below the lower threshold, they should automatically use the cot until their health is above the upper threshold.

13 minutes ago, goboking said:

Out of curiosity, why do you think it would be OP for duplicants to automatically use the triage cot when injured?

Here is the reason- Quickly slap down 4 triage cots. Voila, no worrying about duplicants getting killed by health reaching 0, ever. Devs have not simply forgotten to hook the slider up, its deliberate. In a game like Oxygen Not Included, small barriers like having to build several dedicated rooms change the way a mechanic practically plays out.

5 minutes ago, Magheat2009 said:

Here is the reason- Quickly slap down 4 triage cots. Voila, no worrying about duplicants getting killed by health reaching 0, ever. Devs have not simply forgotten to hook the slider up, its deliberate. In a game like Oxygen Not Included, small barriers like having to build several dedicated rooms change the way a mechanic practically plays out.

Injuries don't necessarily need to be about killing dupes.  The loss of productivity experienced when dupes are recovering is incentive enough to ensure your dupes aren't maimed by pokeshells or scalded by extreme heat.  Besides, when was the last time any of us with enough hours under our belt to consider ourselves veterans lost a dupe to physical injuries  As to dedicated rooms, an overhaul to the disease system would give us a reason to actually build a hospital.  It would also give us a reason to care about germs, medicine, doctors, and virtually all of the medical buildings this side of sinks.

20 hours ago, goboking said:

As to dedicated rooms, an overhaul to the disease system would give us a reason to actually build a hospital. 

Overall I agree with you that diseases need to be buffed and Hospitals should serve proper Quarantine function. Med-beds need to be auto assigned to duplicants for hospitals to be effective anyway.

If diseases were more of a problem, one would have to ideally build separate hospital for each med-bed anyway. This is so as to avoid sick duplicants quarantining out in the open. Putting multiple med-beds down in the same hospital would also carry risk of further spreading diseases as sick duplicants could end up infecting injured duplicants.

Only providing one toilet, wash basin and mess table for many med-beds also looks like an easy exploit if one is willing to bear the risk of infection spreading. However, this does not work as well, as that would result in a clash for toilet, wash basin and mess table.

It is also interesting how hospital quarantine nerfs room based morale bonuses. Once a dupe gets heavily sick or injured, it will no no longer receive morale bonus from great hall, nature reserve etc. Having good decor and a message table inside the hospital becomes a must. An interesting idea would be to make hot tubs assignable to hospitals, but I digress.

To conclude I will say this -imo, the foundation of the disease system in Oxygen Not Included is quite good. It however, is in some desperate need of some buffs via careful tweaking.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, Magheat2009 said:

Unless you drop your duplicate into lava for some reason it's just buzywork to assign them to medbeds

3 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Unless you drop your duplicate into lava for some reason it's just buzywork to assign them to medbeds

Exactly, that is purely micromanagement, it doesn't make the game either more engaging, funner or difficult, but more annoying.

My dupes do tend to have a lot of "accidents" dealing with lava, they get to be carried to the medbed anyway when that happens lol.

Archived