Controller Improvements

I recently started playing on xbox after many years of playing on PC.  While the game is truly better optimized for play on a PC, I really enjoy the experience of kicking back on my couch and the feel of a controller in my hand is much more comfortable than the keyboard and mouse set up I have.  That said, I think the controller mechanics could use some love.  

For example:

• Targeting  - I am constantly whacking my beefalo, walls, gates, etc.  Often this is because I am doing something in inventory but haven't hit the RT to open the inventory window.  I press X to get half and then punch a friendly in the game.  PC has Force Attack that I think could be easily added to the console experience to prevent my random stupidity :lol:
  • Equipment Switching - The fact that switching equipment is placed on the d-pad is nearly impossible to use on the xbox in the heat of the moment as it is natural for me to use my left hand to use the d-pad...the same hand that controls my movement in game.  So switching and moving at the same time is either super awkward, or downright impossible.  I imagine this is true for Sony and Nintendo controllers as well.  
  • Missing functionality - Zoom in/out in game.  I don't know if this is a physical limitation of the game on the xbox or a limitation of the controller buttons to allow for it, but I would love to be able to zoom in/out like you can on PC.  Sometimes you need the higher field of view for exploring.

The key here is not to replicate a cursor in the game and make this as simple as possible.  Even a small number of new options to interact would go a very long way.  Would love some feedback from other console players if this would be beneficial or if there are better ways to layout the controls. 

Suggestion
Button Current Base Shift
Left Analog Walk Walk  
Right Analog Inventory Selection Inventory Selection Use stick as base d-pad?
Right Directional Use selected item on self/unequip Inventory 1 - like the keybindings Move Half
Left Directional Use on world/store/repair Inventory 2 - like the keybindings Move one
Up Directional Inspect item Inspect item Zoom Out in game
Down Directional Drop item Drop item Zoom In in game
Cross / A Action/Accept Action/Accept  
Square / X Attack Attack Force Attack - ie target walls, friendly mobs, etc
Triangle / Y Inspect world item/sew Inspect world item/sew  
Circle / B Alt Action/Cancel Alt Action/Cancel  
R1/RB Rotate Camera Use selected item on self/unequip Rotate Camera
L1/LB Rotate Camera Use on world/store/repair Rotate Camera
L2 / LT Open Crafting Tabs Shift Button N/A
R2 / RT Open Inventory/Pause Game Open Inventory/Pause Game Open Crafting Tabs
Options / Menu Pause Pause  
Press Touch Pad / View Map Map

I mostly play on PC, but I got my start with Don't Starve back on the Wii U, and have it on Switch as well, but even on PC, I favor the controller. One thing I've learned early on playing with a controller, helpers aren't feasible. With force-attack always on, you're more likely to attack a friendly than what you and said friendly(s) are fighting, and be handed a quick and senseless death because of it.

I've long advocated the implementation of a similar system to what you describe, being able to set 'mod key' from the bindings menu to give buttons/keys pressed while holding the mod key an alternate set of bindings, including zoom in/out, and toggling force attack on and off. This would definitely be a substantial upgrade for console players and controller fans alike.

I would suggest Klei add two sets of slots, the player can input any two items into (Aka hand slots) So I can put a Walking Cane/Weapon into these Slots. 

Holding in Y Button (Inspect for Console) can switch Between Currently Equipped, a Secondary Equip Slots.

This would Allow me to Walk & Swap Between a Cane/Weapon at the same time.

The Analog stick click in (L3/R3) Already have Assigned Button Functions, as do LB/RB & LT/RT, but all Y Does is Inspect Crap.. So Tap Y inspect, 3 Second Hold of Y to weapon swap- Or Vice-Versa. (Tap to Swap, Hold to Inspect)

Sounds like a fine idea, with plenty of applications. Main hand equip, and a sub hand equip slot, and mod-key combination to switch them. Whether switching a weapon and a walking cane for easier kiting, having two weapons, one of them a bat bat, for tanking with easier combat healing, and an axe and a shovel for efficient lumber harvesting are just a few ways that idea could bring some good, non game-breaking QoL to DS/T.

Oh, wait, one tiny, easily resolvable issue. This idea would mean everyone would basically get a free extra inventory slot. Some might consider that an unwelcome disruption to the game's balance. Easy fix: instead of having a second hand equip slot, just have the function switch the in hand equipment with whatever's in the rightmost inventory slot, provided valid hand equipment is there.

Oh no, I’m afraid that you misunderstood my post, I’m not saying to ADD an extra Inventory Slot- I’m saying to Add clear to understand On Screen visual Indicator such as the Below Image of what is EQUIPPED into your two Hand Slots.

330E0D7B-272A-40CA-9A37-348735F3FF72.thumb.jpeg.a00b5b7de831a9647df74c99a40857ee.jpeg

And while Pressing Y it will swap these two items out with one Another. 
Anything that can be placed where the Darksword is.. can be placed in the hand icon to my Far left, However… just like Wilson’s Beard food Stash, Anything that isn’t food can’t go in his beard.. so anything that can be equipped in the Hand Slot that’s currently occupied by my Darksword, can be placed in the Second hand slot to my Far Left as shown in the image.

It allows you to place Axes, Canes, Swords, Lanterns, Torches Etc.. into the designated hand slot- And removes the awkwardness of needing to try to WALK and use the D-pad.

If Klei did this ONE Thing I could swap between a Weapon and a Walking Cane like all those PC Streamers do on Twitch with Ease.

I was messing around with this last night and created a controller profile similar to what I described.  Obviously I still can't zoom in/out and there isn't a force attack concept which are still big misses.  However, it definitely makes switching items way more intuitive/easy.  I had some challenges to map rotation as it is a tad awkward to hit LT and LB in the right order.  Although more of a muscle memory issue, it caused some problems with me accidentally eating food or switching equipment when I wanted to rotate the map.  

What mods have you been using for the PC @goodguythatguy?

Just to make DST somewhat playable with a Controller, I use Extra Controller Features, Auto-Close Enlightened Crown, Equipment Control and Steams built-in Controller Support with Action Sets.
Also, I use a Mod called Controller Switch that allows me to switch from Controller to Mouse + Keyboard, so that I can do stuff with the M+K that I can't do with a Controller no matter what. Yes, I still need a M+K for many things.

DST is my favorite video game, but it's more of a collection of bugs glued together in a shape that resembles a video game.

I totally stopped playing DST for almost a year after the Enlightened Crown was released because the Enlightened Crown keeps opening automatically even after I close it, then it being open completely gets in the way of playing with a Controller. I asked several times on the forum for a fix, but it was ignored. Last month someone released a Mod called Auto Close Enlightened Crown, so I can actually play the game again, but I'm just waiting for the day the game becomes unplayable again. 

I was thinking about the Lazy Explorer and Star Caller Staff.  These items will never have pinpoint accuracy like with a mouse, but it would be nice if I could toggle a range limit for items that have a fixed maximum range.  The Lazy Explorer seems to seek a specific distance from the player and then adjusts based on the map in the area.  If you could dial that back via a setting it would help in fights like Fuel Weaver. Even a radius selection like small, medium or larger (default) would feel amazing.

I'd like to watch the people at Klei that work on Controller Support actually play DST for a few days.
Please, just show me first hand what the heck it 's supposed to look like to complete DST content using only a Controller. 
I double dog dare you, Klei. No Mods allowed. 

Archived