Request: Screenshot Mod

I can't find any mod that facilitates high quality colony screenshots.  Yes, I know of Alt+S and I do use the Bigger Camera Zoom Out Mod, but while these do let you zoom out, you end up with a very low resolution screenshot which is worthless once a viewer tries to zoom in on something of interest.

Currently, the steps to making a high quality image of an entire colony requires a lot of work.  "Stitching" together multiple images to create a larger composite image is tedious and time-consuming.

Stardew Valley has screenshot mods and they are amazing.

I envision this mod either adding screenshot tool to ONI's toolbar or preferably just being activated by hotkey.  It would have an options menu with a resolution or zoom slider which would allow the player to choose how detailed the image is.  The default value for this slider would be maximum vanilla zoom out. (I'd be happy with just this setting alone, if the modder doesn't want to code the slider and menu.)  Upon pressing the hotkey a screenshot of whichever colony/rocket the player is currently focused on would be saved to some folder.  (There could be "this colony" and "all colonies/rockets" option for screenshots in the menu if the modder feels ambitious.)  A daily screenshot option would be nice too, so we could have better time lapses than Klei provides.

Thanks for reading and considering.

• Developer

It's not quite what you're asking but you can use dev debug tools (type kleiplay on main menu to activate) to take high resolution screenshots using shortcuts. These are massive and may take a while to generate. They are saved in a screenshot folder with your save.

This feature is unsupported but in the Whatta Blast update I've changed it so it appends the cycle and current date-time to avoid overwriting screenshots.

image.png

On 3/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, EricKlei said:

It's not quite what you're asking but you can use dev debug tools (type kleiplay on main menu to activate) to take high resolution screenshots using shortcuts. These are massive and may take a while to generate. They are saved in a screenshot folder with your save.

This feature is unsupported but in the Whatta Blast update I've changed it so it appends the cycle and current date-time to avoid overwriting screenshots.

image.png

Wow, what an unexpected surprise.  Thanks for making these tools available.

I had to test these out on my 6200 cycle base game save, zoomed out to to capture the entire colony.
- x8 produces a beautiful image, but 118 MB is too large to be readily sharable on the internet.
- x2 produces an image lacking enough detail, with a still large almost 10 MB file.

I think the best setting might be x4 which is omitted here.

Also, it would be much better if using one of these commands didn't function actually as a screenshot tool (it literally only captures what's on screen even including the UI) but instead the crafts a snapshot of the currently focused colony.  Somehow cropping the empty space off the sides of the image (I tried 2 different programs) doesn't result in the image file getting appreciably smaller.  But, I think I'd be asking too much.

Thanks again. :applause:

Archived