The trouble with Wormwood (on PS5 console)

Hey Folks,

I'm a long time player who typically gets stuck doing gardening (whether I'm Wormwood or not). For the past year or so (real-life year), Wormwood is pretty much the only character I play (couch co-op).  It's possible the issues I list here are affecting other characters as well.

Planting, but not planting - When planting a garden, a lot of times Wormwood will start to put a seed in the ground, be motionless for a few seconds, and stand back up with out planting.  Sometimes this even happens 2 or 3 times in a row. It really adds on to the time to do gardening. If I have a cane, it seems to go faster, but my character still gets "hung"

OCD Plant Plot Templates - Planting seeds in a 3x3 plot is also a pretty exacting science, especially when trying to balance plant needs and maximizing plant size. It would be great if one can manage "plant plot templates" so that we can plant a perfect 3x3 plot all at once... each and every time... and quickly.  There are some 6x6 plantings I've done only once or twice, but planting on the console is a real pain...

Long term Seed Storage - I put all my seeds in dedicated fridges to increase longevity and reduce the amount of time I spend in the garden rotating seeds through. I've read that the seed pack doesn't do as well, so I haven't bothered with that. I also have chests that I put excess seeds in (to turn to rot).. which also takes a long time to spoil (not sure how fridge or chest storage differs?)  Is it possible to make the spoilage time longer if in a fridge? Like, maybe 2-3 years?

Automatic Watering - Maybe what I saw before didn't do what I thought, but I used to deploy Ice Flingomatics to "water my gardens" (before the big gardening update), then it stopped working so I haven't deployed one since. Sure, I can use the watering can to treat thirsty plants, but I'm trying to do less in the garden.

Fruit/Vegetable Drying - I really love how we can dry meats out so that we can prolong it's life (when meat may be scarce). It would also be awesome to dry out fruits/vegetable as well (i.e. think fruit leather).  Sure, spoiled fruit can be turned to seed, and excess seeds to rot/ash, ... but in later game days, ... one can have only so much...

"Group Chat" - I love how the blooming feature works and can understand why it should only be during certain times of the year; however, it would be great to talk to a "plot" versus every individual seed.

Where's my Coffee? - out of all my Quality of Life asks above, this one doesn't have to be seriously considered. Imagine - having a coffee plant, whose beans can be roasted (fire) and brewed (crockpot).  Consuming can have a boost to health and mind..  but also give character cane like speed (without cane) and 2x cane speed (with can) for some duration of time.

I'm sure someone might say I'm asking for things that will make the game too easy, but you know, I have yet to do anything of substance in the caves or on one of the other islands.  

Please free me from my burden...

On 3/22/2023 at 12:00 PM, NotWilson said:

Long term Seed Storage - I put all my seeds in dedicated fridges to increase longevity and reduce the amount of time I spend in the garden rotating seeds through. I've read that the seed pack doesn't do as well, so I haven't bothered with that. I also have chests that I put excess seeds in (to turn to rot).. which also takes a long time to spoil (not sure how fridge or chest storage differs?)  Is it possible to make the spoilage time longer if in a fridge? Like, maybe 2-3 years?

Seed Pack-It WAS worse but it's been buffed so now it's better. Provides 14 inventory slots, 5 more than the Ice Box, and makes seeds spoil slower. A seed in a Seed Pack-It will takes 60 days to spoil from full freshness to rot. I think that's plenty of time. Whenever my seeds start getting really rotten, I dedicate a large area to replant them so I can recycle the seeds, and perhaps even get extra seeds out of it.
Also if you want to put excess seeds to spoil, I recommend getting Shadow Chester because items inside him spoil faster than in a chest.

"Group Chat" - I love how the blooming feature works and can understand why it should only be during certain times of the year; however, it would be great to talk to a "plot" versus every individual seed.

Blooming isn't locked to Spring and there are several ways to achieve the same effect as blooming. To achieve bloom in any time, you can fertilize yourself with formula. You don't need to even be blooming to do the "group chat" effect as playing instruments will do that as well, such as wearing a One-Man Band or playing a Beefalo Horn.

OCD Plant Plot Templates - Planting seeds in a 3x3 plot is also a pretty exacting science, especially when trying to balance plant needs and maximizing plant size. It would be great if one can manage "plant plot templates" so that we can plant a perfect 3x3 plot all at once... each and every time... and quickly.  There are some 6x6 plantings I've done only once or twice, but planting on the console is a real pain...

This is a great suggestion. Don't Starve Together in general requires better placement options because even on PC it sucks.

Thanks for the tips @SomebodyRandom! Had suspicions about blooming with fertilizer, but didn't have excess to try it during a non-obvious season (like winter).

I didn't know about playing the buffalo horn or Shadow Chester (more of an Ice Chester person myself).

In later days, I've found that I've been practicing "sloppy gardening" with Woodworm... Basically I'm planting large stretches of land (no plots) with excess seeds... Since the plant cycles between fruit/veg and rotten, if I stagger the planting then I can have either edibles or rot through out the year... And I don't have to worry about pengulls eating the rot or keeping rot in chests.

Yeah, yeah.. I know I'm basically undermining the game and making the garden/plot system useless. However, now I can start splunking and sailing more.

3 hours ago, NotWilson said:

! Had suspicions about blooming with fertilizer, but didn't have excess to try it during a non-obvious season (like winter).

Yeah, Winter makes blooming last half as long. In the early game, I like to use rotten fish to trigger blooming until I can get bottles from the ocean so that I can make growth formula starters.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, Dunk Mujunk said:

Not a simple or quick solution but Bundling Wrap will keep your seeds fresh forever.

Or turn on Winter's Feast event and make gift wrap for cheap. Don't even need blueprints to craft it. 

Archived