Some thoughts on the balance of Wilson's new skills...

Hey there. I know there's been a lot of thoughts on whether Wilson's new skill trees are balanced, so I kinda felt it would be nice to weigh in on it as well.

I want to first focus on the positives, because overall I really, really enjoy almost all of the concepts on offer here, and I feel it's just as valuable to offer POSITIVE feedback as well as constructive suggestions.

Ideas I particularly enjoy

-Torch Range and Torch throwing.

Both of these skill types are surprisingly handy and versatile. I really like the idea of putting a spin on a very common item to make it even more useful for certain characters. While nothing ground-breaking, I've found myself more than once chucking a torch onto the ground so I had a quick, easy, safe lighting solution I didn't have to think about while I work. VERY brilliant ideas all around.

-Icky Alchemy 1

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but I've noticed that changing from morsels to meat or vice-versa refreshes the... well... freshness of the meat in question.

I'd like to ask that you keep this as-is. Because the meats already have multiple preservation options and there is a slight product loss from conversion, I absolutely see nothing wrong with being able to convert spoiled morsels into a fresh meat. It's a clever, balanced way of keeping food fresh and it feels like something uniquely Wilson.

-Gem Alchemy 3

I love options in a game. And having an alternative pathway to getting an Iridescent Gem feels very useful. Especially since... let's be honest with ourselves here; the normal way is pretty darned convoluted and isn't really something people are going to figure out on their own for the most part.

-Ore Alchemy 3

Wilson and Walter: BFFs. I don't need to say more. Plus, I think Marble Armor is a little underrated.

-Beard insulation

VERY useful. Max beard and beard level pretty much entirely negates the need for winter clothing. Very handy, very simple... VERY Wilson.

Ideas I had for improving some of the perks

-Torch duration

To be honest, this perk is very, very weak. Even when fully maxed out, you barely feel any difference in duration. I feel like 50%-75%-100% extra duration would be pretty reasonable as an incentive for using up those precious inspiration points. I feel that if you're investing that much over your total into your torch, it should be at least on par with a Lantern or Miner's Hat, considering the torches themselves aren't renewable, whereas those two options are.

-Gem Alchemy 1 and 2

I feel like all of the gem conversions are way too expensive and sometimes feel simply confusing. I don't think you'll find a whole ton of people saying a blue gem is more useful than a red one, so the idea of using three reds for one blue just seems absurd to me. I think a 2-to-1 conversion in either direction (red-to-blue or blue-to-red) would be much more reasonable.

-Ore Alchemy 2

Similar to the Gem Alchemy suggestions, make the Nitre/Gold conversion reversible. Gold is much, much, MUCH more easily renewable for Wilson than Nitre is, so having more flex room for this would make it more valuable as an option.

-Icky Alchemy 3

This one is very simple: make a reverse formula, so you can convert Bone Shards into Hound's Teeth. Converting Hound's Teeth to Bone Shards honestly feels ludicrous to me, considering the myriad uses of the former, compared to the latter effectively being garbage most of the time. Make it so Bone Shards become Hound's Teeth and you've got yourself a BIG winner; worth every bit of those Inspiration Points.

-Beard storage

First, it would be nice to have clarification in the in-game description on whether it preserves food or simply stores it. Helps to make informed decisions on what you're using the crumb-catcher for.

Second... and this might be just an oversight... When you're shift-clicking to transfer food from the Ice box, can you make the shift-click prioritize the Crock Pot over his beard? Because as it is, when I'm trying to quickly make dishes, I'm not able to and I need to drag and drop instead.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and observations. I sincerely hope that they were constructive and helpful. Overall, I can't express enough how fun it's been testing this new update and the idea of the baseline character being able to be tailored to personal tastes is a fun one. I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes, and ESPECIALLY seeing the new animation whenever the official full release happens.

Thanks for everything you do. And thank Wilson for the power of SCIENCE!

I think unique recipes for the gems would be much more interesting. Things like a red gem and an ice, or a blue gem and a fire nettle. It wouldn't be exactly the same as the rest of his alchemy but it doesn't need to be. Gems are mostly of equivalent value in their two tiers (surface & ruins) and the current order is clearly not even ranking them up (red is typically more useful than blue but considered lower rank).

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I think unique recipes for the gems would be much more interesting. Things like a red gem and an ice, or a blue gem and a fire nettle. It wouldn't be exactly the same as the rest of his alchemy but it doesn't need to be. Gems are mostly of equivalent value in their two tiers (surface & ruins) and the current order is clearly not even ranking them up (red is typically more useful than blue but considered lower rank).

I'd say that's fair! Though I definitely see more ice than fire nettles.

9 hours ago, Ryusuta said:

Second... and this might be just an oversight... When you're shift-clicking to transfer food from the Ice box, can you make the shift-click prioritize the Crock Pot over his beard?

This needs to be a thing cuz oh boy how it makes cooking painful in the way it is right now

9 hours ago, Ryusuta said:

-Icky Alchemy 3

This one is very simple: make a reverse formula, so you can convert Bone Shards into Hound's Teeth. Converting Hound's Teeth to Bone Shards honestly feels ludicrous to me, considering the myriad uses of the former, compared to the latter effectively being garbage most of the time. Make it so Bone Shards become Hound's Teeth and you've got yourself a BIG winner; worth every bit of those Inspiration Points.

I'm kinda surprised here. I'm usually overflowing with hounds' teeth, especially after having to kill mactusk about seventeen times for his tam. Is it just you make a lot of tooth traps?

As for everything else, the only skill I find particularly unhelpful is the shorter beard growth duration. The only things you can make regularly with beard hair are meat effigies and rugs, so getting it more often isn't really all that great. I'd really like it if instead there was some sort of gentlemanly reward for keeping yourself clean-shaven. Maybe a sanity boost for not going full wildman? Just something to make shaving more of an actual decision

14 hours ago, Ryusuta said:

-Icky Alchemy 3

Everything else - totally with you - but this? - idk where you're coming from.  There aren't too many uses for bone shards, but they aren't something actively farmable either.  Meanwhile playing passively I end up with multiple stacks of hounds teeth just as a consequence of playing the game on the surface.

I don't disagree that it should go both ways, similar to how meats work and in line with your opinion on gold <-> nitre.  I just don't see the desire for having hounds teeth lol

5 hours ago, Ryusuta said:

I'd say that's fair! Though I definitely see more ice than fire nettles.

You'd see more fire nettles if you farmed for them.  There is a technique of farming for weeds where you can get a decent crop of fire nettles or forget-me-lots.  I haven't focused on it myself, but I've seen some people use fire nettle fields to get a heat spike in winter.

I suppose it's possible that I use Blow Darts and Sewing Kits more than other people, but even just from the Tooth Traps alone it feels like Hounds' Teeth are less situational than Bone Shards.

Either way, I feel it's reasonable to have the recipe go in both directions.

1 hour ago, Ryusuta said:

I suppose it's possible that I use Blow Darts and Sewing Kits more than other people, but even just from the Tooth Traps alone it feels like Hounds' Teeth are less situational than Bone Shards.

Either way, I feel it's reasonable to have the recipe go in both directions.

I love how because of the vastly different ways people play this game one resource may be more valuable to them than another players. It’s both HILARIOUS… and at the same time: Sad, because Klei is doing updates around player feedback and what “we” feel ranks where.

(I get way more blue gems than I do red ones so converting 3 red to 1 blue is absolute insanity to me.. as an example. Same with GOLD & Nitre, you can quite literally get Infinity Gold by building a few pig houses, killing said pigs that spawn from them, giving that meats & pig skin to that lazy slob of a Pig King. Nitre on the other hand… not so much.)

Thats just the beauty of DST, certain resources will be useful to some, and pointless to others.

Hounds Teeth are another example: unless your playing as Willow who’s gonna wanna build a ton of sewing kits for Bernie Repairs- Hounds Teeth are gonna be all over your world everywhere.. bone shards- can be gotten by going fishing, getting the fishes and letting them “Spoil” into spoiled fish morsel, then taking a hammer to said morsels for Bone Shards.

Personally I’ll prefer a nice beard food storage over being able to trade in 3 red gems for 1 blue.. but that’s just me & my playstyle/personal preferences.

MEANWHILE: for players who use Bundling wraps, Beard Hair Storage won’t be as Useful.

Its a game that’s rules change: Based on who’s playing & how they play.

I sometimes feel sorry for Klei having to try to balance this game around all these various different playstyles.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I love how because of the vastly different ways people play this game one resource may be more valuable to them than another players. It’s both HILARIOUS… and at the same time: Sad, because Klei is doing updates around player feedback and what “we” feel ranks where.

(I get way more blue gems than I do red ones so converting 3 red to 1 blue is absolute insanity to me.. as an example. Same with GOLD & Nitre, you can quite literally get Infinity Gold by building a few pig houses, killing said pigs that spawn from them, giving that meats & pig skin to that lazy slob of a Pig King. Nitre on the other hand… not so much.)

Thats just the beauty of DST, certain resources will be useful to some, and pointless to others.

Hounds Teeth are another example: unless your playing as Willow who’s gonna wanna build a ton of sewing kits for Bernie Repairs- Hounds Teeth are gonna be all over your world everywhere.. bone shards- can be gotten by going fishing, getting the fishes and letting them “Spoil” into spoiled fish morsel, then taking a hammer to said morsels for Bone Shards.

Personally I’ll prefer a nice beard food storage over being able to trade in 3 red gems for 1 blue.. but that’s just me & my playstyle/personal preferences.

MEANWHILE: for players who use Bundling wraps, Beard Hair Storage won’t be as Useful.

Its a game that’s rules change: Based on who’s playing & how they play.

I sometimes feel sorry for Klei having to try to balance this game around all these various different playstyles.

Well said! That's why I hope I did a decent job expressing that these observations of mine are entirely my subjective opinion. I trust Klei to do what they do best. =)

Archived