Suit condition/repair control

To prevent suits with not enough durability left from being used: a slider, be it global (like the "disinfect when above x germs" option) or local, adjustable by clicking on a checkpoint. Any suit that has less than X durability when returned to the dock has its durability set to zero and becomes "worn" immediately. Autosweepers could easily handle the rest.

A button on the docks/suits would allow us to do the same thing manually. "Request repair" or something, which actually just sets suit durability to zero.

How does this change anything?  Either way the suit will need to be repaired, this would only make it so the player could control when the suit gets repaired.

It's not like suits are breaking in the field and putting dupes in danger.  Broken suits only appear at the atmo suit dock. You can stick a dupe in a suit and if they don't have access to a dock they will keep it on indefinitely even long after the oxygen has ran out and the suit has reached 0% durability, as long as the dupe has a place to gasp for air.  I'm not even sure if they return to the dock once it hits 0% or if they carry on their merry way doing errands until returning to the dock and being like "oh my suit broke."

I think perhaps a "Field Repair Station" (I imagine it looking like a power suit dock from Fallout 4) could be a cool idea.  It would be placed in the area where the atmo suits are actually worn in the field.  Once built it generates a life support delivery errand calling for a 100% durability atmo suit. (Or there could be a % slider)  If it has a priority higher than an atmo suit dock loaded with a sufficiently oxygen-filled atmo suit, a suit gets delivered and the vacant atmosuit is left with a deliver suit errand. (green shadow) When a duplicant in the field can reach the field repair station and their suit hits 0% durability and they aren't already busy with an errand, they'll go replace their suit at the station.  The station will try to load the oxygen from the worn suit into the fresh suit and any excess oxygen is bottled and dropped on the floor along with the worn atmo suit.

Each type of suit could have a unique field repair station and could have really neat animations.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack, it's just that the idea hit me when I read your post. :)

Well i will leave my original suggestion here to that deals with the Suits.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:03 PM, Sergadra said:

So since i finally have my new Notebook i can play the Late Games again with ease. I have a special Feature request already and i belive some of you would agree too!

It's Perfect that you right now doing a QOL Update. It's something small that can make a huge diffrence. I never thought that Atmosuit Storing should belong in Supply/Store Section for Delivering Suits or Repair Atmo Suit in Fabricate alone because of their importance. I see it more as Life Support Task because without Atmosuits the Duplicants have a really hard time.

Another Idea for them: Maybe if the Suit get's damaged enough Dupes do not deequip it at first (Let's say 10% of Suit Health left) but they will change the Suit out if possible before wearing them again. That would end a big hole for them in my opinion and would them make smarter to use.

This is from the QOL Thread for 02/2023

I would like to see a System that Requests a Suitchange once it reaches a Certain Point of Health maybe setable or maybe just 10%. The suit still is in the Station and can still be used though the Dupes would prefere other Suits first and would change them out if one is available.

To me, it makes no sense to add a threshold to repair suits before they reach 0%, as it was pointed out by @tuxii. All this would do is to artificially lower the suit durability and waste materials, power, and dupe labor to repair them prematurely. The suits never break while the dupes are wearing them, only when they return to the docks.

The only thing that could maybe make sense is to have a way to select specific suits to get them repaired even if they are not worn out. The only scenario I can think of where I would ever do something like that is because I would like to make sure I am packing a lot of 100% durability suits for a long space travel or colonization project. Even then, it might just be simpler to bring materials to repair the suits or, for the lazy explorers like me, simply make a lot of spare suits that just lie by the repair station at 100% durability that I can load up when needed.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what would the advantage of a system like this be, where the suits would be repaired before reaching 0%? I can only see disadvantages at the moment.

12 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

To me, it makes no sense to add a threshold to repair suits before they reach 0%, as it was pointed out by @tuxii. All this would do is to artificially lower the suit durability and waste materials, power, and dupe labor to repair them prematurely. The suits never break while the dupes are wearing them, only when they return to the docks.

The only thing that could maybe make sense is to have a way to select specific suits to get them repaired even if they are not worn out. The only scenario I can think of where I would ever do something like that is because I would like to make sure I am packing a lot of 100% durability suits for a long space travel or colonization project. Even then, it might just be simpler to bring materials to repair the suits or, for the lazy explorers like me, simply make a lot of spare suits that just lie by the repair station at 100% durability that I can load up when needed.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what would the advantage of a system like this be, where the suits would be repaired before reaching 0%? I can only see disadvantages at the moment.

Well if you have a Suit only Colony and all the suits gets used up in the no work time in the evening then (if you have no storage at the suit place) all the Suits are unusable and the Dupes are stuck. This is when you have no Exosuitforge at the Sleeping rooms.

The main issue might be that Exosuits are considerd supply errands. If you have enough supply cued up it gets set back badly. In late game i found that less of an issue then early Game.

Also thats why you can make it a slider. If set to 0 it is like the old System.

9 minutes ago, Sergadra said:

Well if you have a Suit only Colony and all the suits gets used up in the no work time in the evening then (if you have no storage at the suit place) all the Suits are unusable and the Dupes are stuck. This is when you have no Exosuitforge at the Sleeping rooms.

The main issue might be that Exosuits are considerd supply errands. If you have enough supply cued up it gets set back badly. In late game i found that less of an issue then early Game.

Also thats why you can make it a slider. If set to 0 it is like the old System.

The chances of that happening where all the suits will reach 0% at the same time might also happen if you set a threshold to 10%, so it doesn't solve your problem at all. Even if you set the threshold to different values on each dock, it could still happen, it depends on so many unpredictable factors like which suits gets taken and when and for how long, which all depends on the dupes you have and errands they run. I don't think you can really find threshold values that will ever prevent the situation you mention from happening.

The safest thing to do is to have more docks than the number of dupes using them, so you always have safety suits in case the scenario you have mentioned happens.

Edit: I think I finally got what you meant, nvm. Still, the issue is easily avoided by building extra docks.

Archived