Wanda and maxwell, and other recent update make nightmare fuel finally feel like a fuel now.

And I feel grateful for it. It finally live up to it's name as a fuel. But what about nightmare part?

What about adding another stats to items that use nightmare fuel as fuel - corruption. Each time you refuel them, corruption go up, show nightmare fuel leaking animation, cause sanity drain and other effect? For ruin items that cant be refueled, like thulecite equipments, you can direct add nightmare fuel to them to corrupt them.

It will feel much more similar to the lore, as when ancient race get used to nightmare fuel, they start corrupting them, and ruined them. Right now, i feel like nightmare fuel is just a very convenience fuel, but the downside of it seem to not transfer well. Other than dark sword and night armor, most nightmare fuel items give sanity (amulet and thulecite armor) or have no downside at all, which is not what the lore and history ancient race leave behind.

But what would you do with items that are too corrupted? This feels like how in Minecraft you can only repair items so much before it becomes "too expensive", thulecite crown drains sanity already when the shield is up. And tentacles from a thulecite bat thing drain sanity like normal tentacles when near. I don't really see a reason why i would want to work against myself. If i wanted to lose sanity i would play wolfgang or walter or eat glommer's goop. In the lore they used exclusively  nightmare fuel in the nightmare lights and what nots and as we all know a few pieces of nightmare fuel doesn't really charge equipment that much. You would need tons of fuel to get to tipping point of civilization.

12 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

But what would you do with items that are too corrupted? 

IDK, give us your idea, the point is nightmare fuel has become too much of a convenience fuel, not a high risk high reward resources. With dark sworld and night armor only, the risk is that if you dont finish the boss fast enough, you might have to fight both boss, and the shadow creatures.

With ruin gears, seem like they remove the downside of nightmare fuel, the sanity drain are not that much, and you dont have to face the risk of fighting shadow creatues when you really dont want to.

If ancient race use the same or more advanced gears than we have now, how did they end up in ruins?

When "they" really return, will we have to face more risk using nightmare fuel like them, or those risk just magically not exist?

For corruption, i hope codex umbra will summon more and more weird looking puppet, and at max corruption, sometimes it will summon shadow creatures instead of puppet. You can clean corruption at moon dial maybe?

20 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

If ancient race use the same or more advanced gears than we have now, how did they end up in ruins?

It doesn't matter if you are making scrambled eggs or poached eggs if you are using too much pepper you are still going to ruin both no matter what.

While thulecite removes fighting nightmares when you don't want to. Maxwell has this quirk that he burns through tons of nightmare fuel on the regular you will still need to fight a ton of them.

After thulecite there is the bone armor set which quite literally makes you insane from being covered with the bones of ancients (?) 

The corruption mechanic would only be helpful for Wanda who has extra damage with nightmare weapons. 

Unless there is an enemy that takes more damage from shadow damage or shadow/corrupted armor protected more in some situations i would engage with the mechanic just to make my situation worse.

I was thinking about that yesterday it would be a neat concept if the "Them" returned and we would be able to see the ancient civilization and how to worked for a little while and then i guess the cycle continues and the downfall happens again. maybe their return could be like Alter's awakening. Nightmare fuel related things become stronger or something. While it would give another use for the moon dial i think throwing away items would be faster.

13 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

The corruption mechanic would only be helpful for Wanda who has extra damage with nightmare weapons. 

Wait, you expect the corruption mechanic to helpful and benefit to players?
Ancient_Guardian_Phase_2.webp.a22b0a23e8bd5a2b07ec613f02aff864.webp
My point is nightmare fuel are too safe to use, and regard of you using them or not, those shadow creature will show up, and you have to deal with them anyway. Where is the risk and the nightmare in the name "nightmare fuel"?

6 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Where is the risk and the nightmare in the name "nightmare fuel"?

Not everything has to be a pain in the ass to have or get. If it's not helpful why would anyone engage with it? Even if it gave more nightmare fuel when killing things or granted nightmare fuel drops for regular enemies sometimes there are still easier ways to get tons of fuel 

3 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Not everything has to be a pain in the ass to have or get. If it's not helpful why would anyone engage with it? Even if it gave more nightmare fuel when killing things or granted nightmare fuel drops for regular enemies sometimes there are still easier ways to get tons of fuel 

It doesnt change how hard it is for you to obtain any of those items or nightmare fuel. All stuff uncorrupted still work like normal, it just when you use them for too long, or you purposely corrupt them, the side effect start to show. And im not asking everything to be a pain to have, im asking for nightmare related gears to show it's true form.

All the risk using nightmare fuel right now come from obtain it, not from using it. I made example of darksword and night armor being very balanced at the risk/reward they provide. But all amulets, and ruin gears seem to have no risk after the item is crafted.

Corruption can be in lots of form, let say magiluminescence get corrupted when you refuel them more than 10 times, the light they provide become shadow light and drain user and nearby friend sanity instead. Or lazy forager when corrupted can pick full stack of items, but when they pick up, it show a shadow hand and deal sanity damage to you.

2 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Corruption can be in lots of form, let say magiluminescence get corrupted when you refuel them more than 10 times, the light they provide become shadow light and drain user and nearby friend sanity instead. Or lazy forager when corrupted can pick full stack of items, but when they pick up, it show a shadow hand and deal sanity damage to you.

But it still stands why would i want to engage with the mechanic if i get a penalty for using it? I could just use a different item instead or deconstruct it and remake it to get rid of the corruption to not have to deal with it. When you are using refillable items they need to constantly be fueled, you would almost instantly suffer from these effects.

I like this idea! But I have a couple of suggestions:

1. I think a corruption mechanic should affect the player, and not the item.
  2. It should be a double edged sword, much like most bad things in this game are: insanity, Woodie's curses, Wonkey, etc. It can be bad in a way, but good on others, depending what you do with it.
  3. The whole mechanic shouldn't be a big chore to avoid or cleanse. Specially for highly dependent on fuel characters such as Wanda or Maxwell.

It could maybe be temporary, like a fuel overload state that only lasts 30 seconds.

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:
  1. I think a corruption mechanic should affect the player, and not the item.
  2. It should be a double edged sword, much like most bad things in this game are: insanity, Woodie's curses, Wonkey, etc. It can be bad in a way, but good on others, depending what you do with it.
  3. The whole mechanic shouldn't be a big chore to avoid or cleanse. Specially for highly dependent on fuel characters such as Wanda or Maxwell.

Corruption on player already exist by sanity. Maybe max sanity drain that recovery overtime?
Corruption also play a big role on how player fight the moon bosses, higher corruption -> higher sanity drain -> less lunacy.

For wanda, as her old stage she ignore all nightmare debuff, so even if her watch go corrupted, she wont be affected by it. And for Maxwell, i just hope this mechanice allow us to see the codex umbra that appeared in the maxwell's old video, randomly summon shadow creatures instead of shadow puppet when corruption go highest.
For other players, as ruin items doesnt refuel with nmf, they wont face it much, other than lazy forager and magi. They can purposely corrupt thulecite armor and helmet by adding nightmare fuel, giving corrupted version of them, and allow them to live in lunar with 0 lunacy?

So the mechanic itself would be double edge sword. If you use them in normal land and in base, they just constantly drain your sanity and summon shadow creatures. If you use it in lunar, it is basically heaven for them.

Archived