would you have prefered wormwood or warbuck

On 12/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, JoeW said:

The reality is that these two things are examples of why it's become more difficult to do things in an early access environment. 

In clear words this time. Warbucks was removed because the narrative became that we wanted a character that was racist, and wanted a "bad white guy" to be in the game. It wasn't because people were complaining. I have explained this before. 

The problem wasn't complaints to us, the problem was players bickering to each other about who Warbucks was and what he represented. We had already fixed issues with the ingame messaging and were fine with it. But the conversations about it were bad, and players were being crappy to each other. He wasn't so good of a character that it was worth keeping him around.

The mutations were just something that was ultimately decided didn't fit within the game artistically. I don't remember a single complaint about it at the time, other than discussions internally. (did that ever even reach the live game?)

If you are going to argue that we're bowing down to the complainers, these are both examples of how we're literally doing the opposite. Because there were no complainers to begin with, and now there are.... 

why did you even thought to add racism to dont start

On 12/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, JoeW said:

In clear words this time. Warbucks was removed because the narrative became that we wanted a character that was racist, and wanted a "bad white guy" to be in the game. It wasn't because people were complaining. I have explained this before. 

Nice to get a response from the dev. It's funny to look back at the people who were complaining that Warbucks seemed like a racist white guy when he was always meant to be a racist white guy.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, JoeW said:

The mutations were just something that was ultimately decided didn't fit within the game artistically. I don't remember a single complaint about it at the time, other than discussions internally. (did that ever even reach the live game?)

This, however, I'd like the devs to elaborate on.

I understand that Klei doesn't engage in forums as much as... well, forumites and that to you, a mod, all threads are probably blending together into a blur of text. But there was a noticeable thread, back in 2019, where someone mentioned that lunar mutants were too much body horror to handle for some. It turned into a dumpster fire.

Back on track, if you devs have decided that body horror mutants didn't fit the game artistically, then I just gotta ask: Why are they still in the game?

You could've replaced moonrock pengulls with actual pengulls made out of moonrock, lunar wobster-style. Horror hounds could've been replaced by skeletal hounds, those would be more useful than the current ones if they dropped bone shards. Change Shattered Spiders appearance to resemble Webber's moon skin (but make them look worse so that the skins' description still fits).

The fact that these 3 are still the same as they were in 2019 makes you devs look bad as either:

1) The team actually wants lunar body horror to stay in the game, but the management won't allow that, the game has to be mainstream

or 2) Klei can't be bothered to go back and put time and resources into something that won't bring players/money

Furthermore, Moonstorm Birds, while too small to actually put anything 'gross' in them, were made in the style of moon mutants. So what really is your opinion on lunar body horror, Klei?

And last but not least

Lunar hybrids still exist y'know. Plants turned animals, all that stuff. Why don't you decorate the Lunar Island with 2 unique birds, one being a mutant, the other a pretty bird-flower. Why don't you mutate dangling depth dwellers in the Lunar Grotto into walking mush-spiders that explode when killed. Why aren't there any mutated fish that only spawn near the Lunar Island or an octopus made out of kelp. So. Much. Unused. Potential.

Archived