Workers NEED ai change

I hope it's not too late to buff them. People including me already complained about this problem but i have a different solution suggestions this time in case previous ones were discarded by klei for being too good (or bad?)

Okay so here is the problem: workers only hold 1 stack of items and refuse to pick up anything else until they give this stack to Maxwell. They won't do that however if he is outside of their range, and he most likely is, because you can't be in range of 5 puppets at once. Unless you cast them all in the same spot that is, but that's very inefficient to do. The real kicker is that shadows think their job is done after gathering 1 stack, thus they don't even wait for Maxwell and just die, even if there are still a lot of things left to collect. I've tried it numerous times but I always failed to manage them. Even when I run back and forth to grab their stuff as fast as I can so that they would continue to pick things up - some of them still end up dying before I'll get to them. There is no way this is intentional. 

So here is a couple of simpler fix ideas: either make it so that they wouldn't die prematurely if they are holding something, or more convenient option - make them drop their finished stack on the ground when Maxwell isn't around, allowing them to continue collecting other items. Or... you could just let them hold multiple stacks at once, I seriously don't understand why that's not allowed. 

Point is they need to finish their job before dying and currently they aren't doing that. 

Just now, MrSoratori said:

They r fine 

nope they arent

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

So here is a couple of simpler fix ideas: either make it so that they wouldn't die prematurely if they are holding something, or more convenient option - make them drop their finished stack on the ground when Maxwell isn't around, allowing them to continue collecting other items. Or... you could just let them hold multiple stacks at once, I seriously don't understand why that's not allowed. 

this is just perfect

because new shadows sometimes just die before finishing their job, and wasnt a problem with old shadows

2 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

They didnt even have this option before what u mean they arent? 

yeah, and they could still keep working, for months on the game, you just had to protect them
sometimes they start to grabing things and there's still work to do that is a problem for me because sometimes they just die

1 minute ago, edulopes said:

still keep working, for months on the game,

Im sorry but its so cheap to summon these guys I m failing to get the point which makes this a problem and adds to the fact they should pick everything on the flor while u r waiting once u can help the gather or idk kill shadow creatures till have enough stuff to grab 

early game maxwell gathering potencial is Gutted, he is only better for controlled situations, ( pre planted tree's , resources... etc) but world generated resources he is very worse

now with pillars nerf, and no duellist buff in sigth 
why not give an somewhat buff on th servants

Just now, MrSoratori said:

I m failing to get the point which makes this a problem

QQL

2 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

waiting once u can help the gather

then why let them gather? would be better the old perma shadows in this reguard, 

not even counting wurt that does all gathering besides picking stuff better than him, and this pick stuff sould be at least more consistent

6 minutes ago, edulopes said:

QQL

and consistency

7 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

Welp they r helping

That doesnt mean they have to do all the stuff

Neither u

lets say that you are full, then what? they will just die in mere seconds and you cant get all itens ?
and can i ask why cant they just wait more? or at least gather things a little better?
what is will change if they do it better?

i can't see of why they can be better, 
but i cant see of what will be beneficious for the player base, and the maxwell player base

this would just help everyone doing less boring chores

and if you like to pick stuff on the ground, the option of not using maxwell is always there....

they cant even farm from afar, even a mod managed that, so klei if they wanted they could give us really Powerful servants, but we aint even getting on this point...

32 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

They r fine 

When them die they drop the whole stack

And its not like they have to not only work but gather it all as well in no time

It would be really satisfying if they were actually good at collecting things. But even bad collectors are better than nothing. 

It's just that stack of logs for example is only 5 trees, and worker might not even pick any and will go for pinecones instead.

Boulder clusters have rocks, flints, gold and nitre in them, so shadows will pick up 1/4 of loot. You'll have to do the rest yourself. I think it's better to just use pickaxe at that point. 

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

They wait for 15 seconds after finishing the job before dying. Your recollection of what happened is untrue, unless you were doing all of this in a huge spider nest while wearing marble armor and permanently groggy maybe.

15 seconds to get items from 5 workers all scattered in 2 screens worth of range. Is it that hard to believe? 

22 hours ago, edulopes said:

lets say that you are full, then what?

Inventory management is a players problem not a servant problem bro

Its a question u can solve refining the logs in boards to get space, carrying chester default for more slots than just a big backpack and the magic top hat. U can even give 4 grass 4 twigs  to make a default backpack to put stuff there till u can deal with the extra loot.

why cant they just wait more?

Thats also good I have to agree with u here

and if you like to pick stuff on the ground, the option of not using maxwell is always there.

That is not cohesive at all. Ur afirmantion implies u dont have to pick stuff cuz u playing Maxwell and thats my point. They help u and not do it for you. Also even with not Maxwell players I masterize using lazy forager in my inventory now cuz its refualable with nightmare fuel. It can be for good give it a try. 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:27 PM, Gi-Go said:

15 seconds to get items from 5 workers all scattered in 2 screens worth of range. Is it that hard to believe? 

I did some counting and they actually seem to wait random time before dying. I got them to die from 7 to 11 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

I did some counting and they actually seem to wait random time before dying. I got them to die from 7 to 11 seconds. 

So here's what my testing showed after they stop working they seem to die in 8 seconds if they're considered too far however their timer doesn't start until they stop working I think kiel should bump the timer up to 15 seconds personally.

Archived