Making flint more renewable, with the unnatural portal

We already have really good ways to farm stone (mostly stonefruit) but flint is way more difficult to farm, I completely cleared the huge rocky biome in my world and I'm already out of flint. Can we make the Unnatural portal drop flint instead of rocks? (Or maybe in addition to rocks)

i remember a suggestion about this just after the portal was added and i really hope they come back to it in the future.

Even if you ignore all the ways you can farm rocks on the mainland, you still have a steady supply of them out on the ocean via sea stacks and salt formations.

The only way to get flint at sea is from lunar island, but all of that flint is non renewable which makes it far less viable to live exclusively live away from the mainland. This usually isnt a big deal but it really hurts people who want to challenge themselves by living off of the ocean. Regardless of how "efficient" that may be i always appreciate having more playstyles available, and having a renewable source of flint at sea would be another step in that direction.

I had a world running for almost 10k days before it got corrupted. The one resource I would go out of my way to get is flint, and always the first thing I run out of when making big projects. Petrified forests I think are meant to satisfy the need for it, but they are annoying, ugly and require huge areas dedicated to this.

Very much agree with OP, a better way to farm flint would be very weclomed. 

There is lots of ways to make flint.
The basic one for late game is petrified trees.
Also you got meteor biome
But if you want to set up an area for rock farming Moleworms and tillweeds are your options for flint

Detritus from till weeds has a chance to drop flint when shoveled (6.5%)

I would rather go with moleworms for a more guaranteed chance

moleworms every day will generate 1 rock type mineral in their burrows if you dig them up they will be able to  give you infinite amounts of rocks gold flint and niter.

Let's say i pen 40 moleworms, which is a lot, and shovel up burrows everyday, which is a lot of commitment/time, to only get 8 flint a day? Thats never worth.

With rocks for example i switch to wickerbottom and use a lureplant stonefruit farm. In less than a day i have 12 stacks of rocks.

For wood i plant 200 birchnuts at the beginning of autumn and harvest them with bearger for 40 stack of wood or 20 stacks of planks

For gold i trade frazzled wires with pigking 

Form marble i grow marble trees around gunpowder for easy harvesting

For grass, twigs and reeds i have a lureplant farm (and I'm building a gekko pen)

The only thing i have to get out of my way to manually farm is flint, which is annoying

1 hour ago, _bobthekiller_ said:

Let's say i pen 40 moleworms, which is a lot, and shovel up burrows everyday, which is a lot of commitment/time, to only get 8 flint a day? Thats never worth.

With rocks for example i switch to wickerbottom and use a lureplant stonefruit farm. In less than a day i have 12 stacks of rocks.

For wood i plant 200 birchnuts at the beginning of autumn and harvest them with bearger for 40 stack of wood or 20 stacks of planks

For gold i trade frazzled wires with pigking 

Form marble i grow marble trees around gunpowder for easy harvesting

For grass, twigs and reeds i have a lureplant farm (and I'm building a gekko pen)

The only thing i have to get out of my way to manually farm is flint, which is annoying

I don't really see a problem here since theres not really anything to use flint on  late game other than turfs
Does every item need to be mass farmable?
Its going to be the same with the portal very rarely you get flint drops.

After reaching the lategame and discovering the glorious stone road turf from the Not Enough Turfs mod, I can confirm that this is a problem. I cleared out a huge petrified forest (160 trees), and only got 80 flint out of it. Plenty of rocks sure, but with stone fruit those are not as difficult to acquire.

I think an elegant solution to this would be to just alter the item drop rates on the petrified trees: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Petrified_Tree

As you can see, even though they're the main renewable way to farm nitre and flint, it's precisely those resources that they rarely drop. Considering that mining them is quite tedious for most characters, plus requiring a lot of pinecones which you also need to spend a lot of time gathering, I think their drop rates should be in line with boulders. Perhaps only dropping two rocks instead of three since that'd be a little much, but keeping the 1.6x flint and 1x nitre.

Archived