Unconstructive and Construction Supply

Hi, I am new to ONI and I didn't find a thread that answered my question.

Okay, my Bubbles has the Unconstructive trait and I do understand she shouldn't be able to do building errands - specifically, the Construction Supply.

But there are times she wouldn't do it (like supplying many tiles) and she was idling. And there are times she took the initiative and supplied any constructions I had placed. I don't use mods. It's a niche question because she happened to have this negative trait and I am wondering why she is working against her agenda? Maybe a bug? 

Thanks in advance.

image.png

The supply of materials to build anything is marked as "building or supplying" in the errands tab. 
image.thumb.png.01901dda06a4c6a4400c9ab604f4b325.png

So I did a simple test: I forbid Max to do supplying, I forbid Gossnman to do building and I forbid Steve to do both
image.png.afac9edf86a42e48714e52881758c040.png

Then I tried that with an unconstructive dupe (why is it so hard to spawn an unconstructive?! 1 out of 80?! Why?! Anyways..)
image.png.7f7914beb12a1098a142f85ce3bed629.png

Although Hassan seems to not be able to do construction supply errand, the errand isn't Xed as unpermitted, so I'm guessing if the game starts to lag, it will get confused and let Hassan do "construction supply" errands? On a newly generated map, it seems to work as intended and Hassan doesn't do any "construction supply" errands although the errands tab seems a bit confusing

13 hours ago, axxel said:

Okay, my Bubbles has the Unconstructive trait and I do understand she shouldn't be able to do building errands - specifically, the Construction Supply.

But there are times she wouldn't do it (like supplying many tiles) and she was idling. And there are times she took the initiative and supplied any constructions I had placed. I don't use mods. It's a niche question because she happened to have this negative trait and I am wondering why she is working against her agenda? Maybe a bug? 

From your picture, your bubbles is doing the supply task but not the construction task but she will usually only supply reaching 2-4 tiles in a left and right direction and up to 2 tiles above her head (4 tiles if you count her head and feet), since those tiles on the picture is 5 tiles high (from her feet), it is 1 tile too far for her to reach.

You can generally check if they have completed the supply by clicking on status and at the bottom should have materials (If there is no materials, the errand tab should have nothing or a unreachable task on it),.

@Ntr1cateYes, Bubbles won't build. I won't (or cannot) force her but I wish she would supply more to the construction site than other jobs since she possesses good strength and I set an up arrow to her supply priority.

Edit: I tested it again in an earlier save and Bubbles is able to supply constructions after selecting depris for sweeping (but no storage for sweep). I selected some sandstone and she took and delivered them to some tiles. I don't know if it's intended or not because the errand says "Building" OR "Supplying" (sakura was trying to explain it). Maybe it's too technically for me to understand.

image.thumb.png.94903587d0847bdac5b8bb7c15a6b54b.png

image.png.c127e515315b699b963eb020218ca228.png

Interesting!

So unconstructive dupes cannot supply...
unconstructive1.thumb.PNG.6edd46d320dc515f0109ff42c745a5b0.PNG

UNLESS you make a sweep command to the materials!
unconstructive2.thumb.PNG.fab1c11b51b1c5ee692d132de2cfe0d1.PNG

Even Leira that is not unconstructive but I forbid supplying and building errands, still supplies materials
image.png.43b5afc3f1da70b9cb3c3df4a2e432a2.png

I'm not sure what's up with that behavior...
Smells like a bug...

9 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Interesting!

So unconstructive dupes cannot supply...
unconstructive1.thumb.PNG.6edd46d320dc515f0109ff42c745a5b0.PNG

UNLESS you make a sweep command to the materials!
unconstructive2.thumb.PNG.fab1c11b51b1c5ee692d132de2cfe0d1.PNG

Even Leira that is not unconstructive but I forbid supplying and building errands, still supplies materials
image.png.43b5afc3f1da70b9cb3c3df4a2e432a2.png

I'm not sure what's up with that behavior...
Smells like a bug...

The game has certain "requirements" for certain tasks to be completed in order for a action for a task to be initiated, I think in this case it might be a bug since it's considered  disallowed.

On the other hand I can't be too sure because other parts of the game follow a simliar "requirement" checklist in order to work.

An example is a construction tile over a solid digable tile can't be dug up if the duplicant has the construction priority disabled..

Even tho the game counts it as two separate tasks (In most cases), the construction priority needs to be active to complete the dig leading to the construction there after.

I don't know if it's a bug or a intended game mechanic, In some cases I don't mind it being designated to construction only because having multiple duplicants working on one tasks is a waste of time from my option (I generally have supply set to double low arrows with some exceptions since multiple duplicants supplying before another duplicant  construction makes me wonder the logic sometimes.)

Archived