Rate my automation? (Radbolt Generation)

image.thumb.png.c7eeb4ecb287033ac4d769ad947b1ea5.png

Kind of a messy post but this is my first attempt at a radbolt generating system and I used autotmation to prevent excess power use. I can provide more screenshots if wanted but I'm hoping to hear feedback on this :D

If this is confusing I can hopefully explain what I intended to do with all of the wiring

Suggest ditching the top and gate. I don't think that you need the storage to be full to allow research station to request more radbolts. And how are you dealing with the fact that that stupid storage shoots radbolts at full auto speed? Cuz i tried to use storage, but it was shooting so fast, that i stopped using it, since it's a waste of radbolts without even more complex automation.

It better to build multiple material study terminal instead of using radbolt chamber, as your dupe will have more station to work with. I suggest a distribution of rad bolt like this:
image.thumb.png.b909fcf70c03fb181d2728ae15404b60.png

(sorry i deconstructed mine as my dupe already completed all research.) 

Make all rad bolt generator generate 100+ rad bolt base on distance so each time a rad bolt hit the building, it will turn on the automation.

Also the way to save power with rad bolt is to build less of them with more radiation (It generate 1/10 of the rad/cycle). One rad bolt generator with 1000 radiation give the same output as two rad bolt generator with 500 radiation, for HALF the power, so i suggest only build 1~2 rad bolt generator with as much wheezewort around it instead of spreading them out.

I like using diagonal loops that keep looping the radbolts until something catches them:loopies.thumb.jpg.779b45c8bf5fa71794c7d2bd343a6ec7.jpg

For the most part I don't bother with Radbolt Storage until I need to fuel Radbolt Engines. A Storage can easily be put inside a loop but particularly if you can consume the radbolts as quickly as they are generated (such as by using multiple Material Science) and thus minimize "overflow" there aren't any real efficiency benefits to be had from storage (arguably might even make it worse due to the 120 W drain from each storage).

One of the best things about diagonal loops is IF you are careful about how you lay it out (in the above screenshot I'm not particularly careful) you can make it nearly impossible for a Duplicant to catch a radbolt with their face by giving duplicants no reason to be where the radbolts are flying (and when a Duplicant's face and a radbolt receptacle are overlapping, the receptacle will sometimes catch the radbolt instead of the face). If you avoid duplicants (or critters) catching radbolts, then excess radbolts simply loop until they reach 0 and evaporate instead of making radioactive waste.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, blakemw said:

I like using diagonal loops that keep looping the radbolts until something catches them:loopies.thumb.jpg.779b45c8bf5fa71794c7d2bd343a6ec7.jpg

For the most part I don't bother with Radbolt Storage until I need to fuel Radbolt Engines. A Storage can easily be put inside a loop but particularly if you can consume the radbolts as quickly as they are generated (such as by using multiple Material Science) and thus minimize "overflow" there aren't any real efficiency benefits to be had from storage (arguably might even make it worse due to the 120 W drain from each storage).

One of the best things about diagonal loops is IF you are careful about how you lay it out (in the above screenshot I'm not particularly careful) you can make it nearly impossible for a Duplicant to catch a radbolt with their face by giving duplicants no reason to be where the radbolts are flying (and when a Duplicant's face and a radbolt receptacle are overlapping, the receptacle will sometimes catch the radbolt instead of the face). If you avoid duplicants (or critters) catching radbolts, then excess radbolts simply loop until they reach 0 and evaporate instead of making radioactive waste.

Never thought of keeping them in a loop, this seems smart though. I might try this in a new "research room" design in this new colony that I started (I was too lazy to redesign my power systems so I restarted).

Archived