Wortox soul limit with a penalty

My suggestion is very simple:

When Wortox hold 20-30 souls, he will get a moderate negative sanity penalty/aura over time.
When Wortox hold 30-40 souls, he will get a huge negative sanity penalty/aura over time
Any more than that Wortox will lose half of it and get sanity penalty as usual.

I think currently, holding 1 more than 20 and instantly get punished for it with minus sanity and losing half soul is a bit too harsh and tedious to maintain, especially when fighting swarms. This way Wortox can have a bit more leeway when a fight is going on, but holding it too long for too much will drain his sanity really fast.

Wortox is a powerful imp and holding a lot of soul is possible for him, but he is not evil by nature so it pains him if he is holding too much souls.

On a side note, rather than have a complicated way to store soul, I still think Wortox can still be expanded to have his own craftable to suplement his playful trickster nature.

alternatively, maybe he could raise his maximum soul capacity in some way?

what i was thinking of lately, Bosses drop 7-8 souls, so maybe they could also drop a special "boss soul" for each Wortox player nearby, which would immediately be consumed by Wortox, increasing his maximum of souls.

Like, each unique boss you kill would give you the ability to hold 2 more additional souls, up to maximum of 40(so you'd need to kill at least 10 different bosses) 

i like this, because it would motivate Wortox players to find and kill bosses, in order to become stronger. (although tree guards, Spider Queens etc probably shouldn't drop those "boss souls")

8 hours ago, redspider said:

My suggestion is very simple:

When Wortox hold 20-30 souls, he will get a moderate negative sanity penalty/aura over time.
When Wortox hold 30-40 souls, he will get a huge negative sanity penalty/aura over time
Any more than that Wortox will lose half of it and get sanity penalty as usual.

I think currently, holding 1 more than 20 and instantly get punished for it with minus sanity and losing half soul is a bit too harsh and tedious to maintain, especially when fighting swarms. This way Wortox can have a bit more leeway when a fight is going on, but holding it too long for too much will drain his sanity really fast.

Wortox is a powerful imp and holding a lot of soul is possible for him, but he is not evil by nature so it pains him if he is holding too much souls.

On a side note, rather than have a complicated way to store soul, I still think Wortox can still be expanded to have his own craftable to suplement his playful trickster nature.

This is the BEST TWEAK Wortox needs before this update goes live. Honestly the soul overcharge thing is too punishing.

Fighting spider queens with a Wendy and seeing my character getting stunned and insane from the soul overcharge effect over and over again reduces my sanity IRL by 20 as well

It makes him more more fun by tweaking the downside to not being an insta punishment. It just gives more room for fun while still keeping it balanced

AND It's still lore accurate 

I really hope klei acknowledges this change. This is the best change for tox rn.

2 hours ago, skile said:

alternatively, maybe he could raise his maximum soul capacity in some way?

what i was thinking of lately, Bosses drop 7-8 souls, so maybe they could also drop a special "boss soul" for each Wortox player nearby, which would immediately be consumed by Wortox, increasing his maximum of souls.

Like, each unique boss you kill would give you the ability to hold 2 more additional souls, up to maximum of 40(so you'd need to kill at least 10 different bosses) 

i like this, because it would motivate Wortox players to find and kill bosses, in order to become stronger. (although tree guards, Spider Queens etc probably shouldn't drop those "boss souls")

OP's suggestion imo is infinitely better than this. This is too grindy.

But maybe this could work too if it doesn't require you to kill boss mobs specifically but instead:

For every unique mob you kill, your soul cap increases by 1

e.g I kill a butterfly for the first time? Max souls = 21. Then I proceed to kill a catcoon, pigman, spider and spider warrior- max souls = 25 until you reach the maximum soul cap of 40 prolly 

Okay so I'm quite fine with the suggestion of having the ability to hold more than 20 souls in some way and I'm sure a wonderful compromise can be found to make this possible :encouragement:, but I think this presentation here is tuned wrong and would mess with the, as now (to my judgment), perfect balance of the 20 soul stack and interactions.

One thing I'd really need to say before explaining the rest is that I think the soul overload is a great feature (and I think it's underrated to a bunch of Wortox players) because of its effects and actual numbers : You will drop 10 souls, which is as much as you need to trigger it again, it's a guaranteed almost full health effect (the soul healing gets weird sometimes even only by yourself however) to you, or an excellent team massive heal event. The downside is minus 20 sanity, frankly anecdotal, and you might say that loosing 10 souls is a part of the problem but it's almost the only thing you need to watch out with Wortox in battle you'd expect it to trigger and I like this fragment of his gameplay to turn the downside in your ultimate time saver for a healing, or avoid it, easy job too: spam / single / echo hop to win distance to plan stuff, drop ahead of time (with the recent buffs that might just get you the sanity you'd have lost back).

So really my main concern is that I absolutely don't want the soul overload to be taken away and I find the current numbers way too good to be changed, to me it's really an awesome pro of the character with its risky intends that you might, might not care much about. As for what the suggestion would change, if that is a total base-new way to play the character, then it is to me actually quite an unfortunately nerf to help exclusively in situations you don't want to pay attention to your souls, which I'd rather never do and take the best benefit I can from what I have instead of keeping them waiting.
That might also just make the sanity downside worse depend of how, and how long it takes to someone to pull a decision with their extra souls, but to be true that is the least concerning and probably is hard to truly be objective on this without testing the rates.

Now however, as said in the start I'm sure it would be possible to have such a thing in a good way but without altering the base Wortox soul effects, I would almost imagine this being an alternate play style version to who would want to bank as many soul as they can.

How about making this possible by maintaining an activable buff, let's say like Warly spices but using a craft that would enable the extra banking for 2-3 days and every now and then you'd refresh it by spending some of these souls, because anyway at some point you're gonna release them right ?... Right ? So yeah simple but don't buff / nerf the overload, it's too golden. :pray:

Edit : hey, how about pomegranates ? It do be his favourite food but damn the stats still suck, maybe eating them could be the way to activate this buff a while !

43 minutes ago, goblinball said:

I personally think managing your souls and making sure you don’t get too close to 20 souls is one of the more fun annoying parts of his character.

FTFY

5 hours ago, Phen said:

Fighting spider queens with a Wendy and seeing my character getting stunned and insane from the soul overcharge effect over and over again reduces my sanity IRL by 20 as well

People need to be careful with what they wish for when they want games to be more realistic. :lol:

4 hours ago, ADM said:

One thing I'd really need to say before explaining the rest is that I think the soul overload is a great feature (and I think it's underrated to a bunch of Wortox players) because of its effects and actual numbers : You will drop 10 souls, which is as much as you need to trigger it again, it's a guaranteed almost full health effect (the soul healing gets weird sometimes even only by yourself however) to you, or an excellent team massive heal event. The downside is minus 20 sanity, frankly anecdotal, and you might say that loosing 10 souls is a part of the problem but it's almost the only thing you need to watch out with Wortox in battle you'd expect it to trigger and I like this fragment of his gameplay to turn the downside in your ultimate time saver for a healing, or avoid it, easy job too: spam / single / echo hop to win distance to plan stuff, drop ahead of time (with the recent buffs that might just get you the sanity you'd have lost back).

I'm not sure how often and reliable a soul overload heals is actually good to be considered as a perk (and it truly help the player), more often than not you will overheal, and especially now that using souls to manually heal will gain sanity, resulting in 45 net sanity gain compared to a soul overload.

What I suggested is more of a QoL and fits with the character's lore. I 'm not a fan of complicated craftable or mechanic only to hold extra souls. It'll still punish you for holding more than 20 souls.

If it seems too strong, I'm sure Klei will find a balance from tuning the numbers.

36 minutes ago, redspider said:

What I suggested is more of a QoL and fits with the character's lore. I 'm not a fan of complicated craftable or mechanic only to hold extra souls. It'll still punish you for holding more than 20 souls.

If it seems too strong, I'm sure Klei will find a balance from tuning the numbers.

Okay sorry I should probably have done a shorter answer to get my opinion clearer on it, but so far that suggestion isn’t strong in anyway but a huge nerf, it’s basically what I’m saying since it’s just allowing more souls, but it’s barely any practical if not from hopping on the map more frequently but I don’t think it’s something I’d be any satisfied with if that trade the utility and simplicity of the soul overload.

Just to say I’ve been maining Wortox a lot since he got added, I really speak from the numerous situations where the overload did save many times my friends in fights without pausing anything during hound waves, bee / spider queens, etc, no need to be swarm things only, it’s practical almost everywhere and triggers faster than any soul you’d drop one by one. It’s all about timing and planning, hoping you can experiment it’s actually important value.

18 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

I can't really think of a time when soul overload doesn't help the team. Instant healing and there are plenty of ways to regain sanity. Managing his souls and timing overload is what makes him fun imo

I didn't think of that lol, I retract what I said earlier. Yeah his soul overcharge mechanic shouldn't go

The best way I can think to compensate it is by letting wortox drop multiple souls at once (just like every other item, ctrl+click to pick  half and then drop it).

I still stand with my suggestion but if you think that limiting soul overcharge is such a huge nerf to wortox, then i have nothing more to say.

2 hours ago, redspider said:

The best way I can think to compensate it is by letting wortox drop multiple souls at once (just like every other item, ctrl+click to pick  half and then drop it).

I still stand with my suggestion but if you think that limiting soul overcharge is such a huge nerf to wortox, then i have nothing more to say.

Your opinion is valid, every player adopts their own style of play. Ours just happens to be different. Maybe there's a way to implement both, I'm not sure what that would look like tho. The only thing I can think of is a soul bank craft to store extra??? I dunno

Archived