[Game Update] - 516384

25 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Just a personal preference. I love when characters have rediculous disadvantages. (Wormwood) it drastically changes the way you play the game. More characters should have these downsides that drastically affect how you play. It creates diversity in gameplay instead of Wilson + some extra stuff.

I agree, but we're talking about the rework for the established character. Adding a brand new strong disadvantage to Wicker might alienate people who have been playing her for years The only time Klei kinda came close to adding a strong disadvantage in the rework was when Wolfgang lost mightiness from getting hit. And that was short-lived. 

25 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

I do as well, however i think my main issue with the idea of wickerbottom falling asleep is that there isn’t a way to counter or prevent it as proposed. Id love if a character was added that needed sleep as a downside, (sleeping rolls actually useful?!?!) wormwood is one of my favorites as a result of his downside interestingly interacting with his perk of creating living logs, making his health both expensive and a far more valuable commodity compared to the average characters. Its interesting and difficult and unique 10/10 absolutely my favorite downside upside pair klei has ever done. 

but falling asleep with no way to counter it isnt interesting, it wojld just be frustrating and annoying “okay time to fight drago- nevermind guess i’ll wait 30 seconds instead. Or you’re fighting deerclops as a new player, you’re low on health and armor but hes gotta be close to dead.. just a few more hi- and i passed out, and now im dead because there’s a wake up animation agter being hit the first time

its like wickerbottom and wickerbottom alone would need to take a break to TELL YOU about OUR NEW SPONSOR!! Raaiiid shadowle- 

ya get my point its an unnecessary interruption that wouldnt make it interesting

also as a absolutely shameless ad for someone elses game: rainworld, its technically a survival game with sleep mechanics, except its more make it to the safe area where you sleep or the rain will crush your bones or drown you depending on where you’re at

I burrowed the idea for sleep from State of Decay 2, in which if the player does not swap characters (which lets the other one sleep) then the players overall stamina continues to drain out until they are basically an easy meal for the zombie hordes.

In SoD 2 you can prolong this sleeping mechanism by drinking Coffee or Taking Trucker Pills to stay awake just a little longer but eventually you WILL need to sleep or you are going to die.. there is no workaround solution.

How that would work in DST for Wickerbottom is she will take a short “nap” basically the same effect as cooking and eating a mandrake which will put her to sleep restoring health and sanity a bit, Klei has a bunch of food dishes in DST including an actual Herbal Tea.. so it can obviously prolong but not prevent the sleep exhaustion.

Its a way for players who absolutely suck at the game (thus managing wickers sanity issues) to also have a “Walter/Wendy” way of easily restoring Sanity in an almost noob passive way.

Standing around a Workout Gym/Sisturn/Campfire for Muscle gain/Sanity IS a gameplay feature- and as unimportant as it may be to YOU some people still use, maybe even rely upon those mechanics.

Wickerbottom being forced to sleep would lessen that “Can’t Sleep ever period” downside. But would bring about its own challenges to over come-

Such as making prolonging foods/teas or timing when your taking your old lady nap.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Its a way for players who absolutely suck at the game (thus managing wickers sanity issues) to also have a “Walter/Wendy” way of easily restoring Sanity in an almost noob passive way.

With all due respect I don't think Wickerbottom should be balanced towards new players when her character is pretty clearly aimed at intermediate-level players who can manage all the sanity drain she takes. It would be like giving Wanda an alternative way to heal to cater to new players. Characters are aimed at all sorts of skill levels, making them all new-player friendly would sorta defeat that purpose.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Standing around a Sisturn/Campfire for Sanity IS a gameplay feature- and as unimportant as it may be to YOU some people still use, maybe even rely upon those mechanics.

Yes, but Wickerbottom in particular doesn't. Seriously. If you just read lunar grimoire once per day you need to spend 25% of every day sitting at a sisturn just to recover from it. It's not even worth it. The whole reason she can't sleep is to prevent players from using these features so her sanity issue is more pronounced. 

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wickerbottom being forced to sleep would lessen that “Can’t Sleep ever period” downside. But would bring about its own challenges to over come-

It would also lessen her main downside, sanity drain, at the price of being forced not to play the game for an amount of time. This is like replacing her downside entirely.

36 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

I do as well, however i think my main issue with the idea of wickerbottom falling asleep is that there isn’t a way to counter or prevent it as proposed. Id love if a character was added that needed sleep as a downside, (sleeping rolls actually useful?!?!) wormwood is one of my favorites as a result of his downside interestingly interacting with his perk of creating living logs, making his health both expensive and a far more valuable commodity compared to the average characters. Its interesting and difficult and unique 10/10 absolutely my favorite downside upside pair klei has ever done. 

but falling asleep with no way to counter it isnt interesting, it wojld just be frustrating and annoying “okay time to fight drago- nevermind guess i’ll wait 30 seconds instead. Or you’re fighting deerclops as a new player, you’re low on health and armor but hes gotta be close to dead.. just a few more hi- and i passed out, and now im dead because there’s a wake up animation agter being hit the first time

its like wickerbottom and wickerbottom alone would need to take a break to TELL YOU about OUR NEW SPONSOR!! Raaiiid shadowle- 

ya get my point its an unnecessary interruption that wouldnt make it interesting

also as a absolutely shameless ad for someone elses game: rainworld, its technically a survival game with sleep mechanics, except its more make it to the safe area where you sleep or the rain will crush your bones or drown you depending on where you’re at

Yeah I agree. She should have a meter "lol meter meme" or just some character where their shtick is needing sleep. It recharges when you sleep and depletes over time where at certain thresholds there are penalties. It would be awesome and you could plan around it by sleeping before you fight a boss.
Hear hounds coming? Quick take a snooze before they arrive! It would be really unique and fun plus incentivize the use of bedrolls like you said.

35 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

I agree, but we're talking about the rework for the established character. Adding a brand new strong disadvantage to Wicker might alienate people who have been playing her for years The only time Klei kinda came close to adding a strong disadvantage in the rework was when Wolfgang lost mightiness from getting hit. And that was short-lived. 

Yeah that makes sense. My personal preference is just that. Mine. It is better to focus on the general player base. Either way the Wicker Refresh is pretty nice even though I wish they focused a little more on her downsides somewhat.

30 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Yeah that makes sense. My personal preference is just that. Mine. It is better to focus on the general player base. Either way the Wicker Refresh is pretty nice even though I wish they focused a little more on her downsides somewhat.

Part of me wishes that Wicker and WX had been released much later because Klei would gone more wild with their concepts and downsides.

Archived