Setting structures on fire on your own should be harder

If not impossible on your own at all. 

Thinking about extinguishing what griefers do with a new wickerbook got me a thought. Why would I ever want to set any structure on fire? It's so easy but only griefers do this. Removing a player's ability to set structures on fire would nerf griefers, they would still have a hammer though but i'm sure that would slow them down by a lot since setting something on fire is nearly instant while hammering takes a few swings. That would give more time for others to kick without letting them cause uncontrollable spreading fire.

No, they don't need to change anything about it.

There's situations where you WOULD want to set fire on a structure. To make mobs take fire damage, to intentionally trigger an ice fling-o-matic, to heat yourself up (burning a sign is practically free for example) are some examples.

The kick and rollback options are there for a reason. It's good to have safeguards against the extremely easy forms of griefing (like placing a spider den at spawn) but intrusive features like this shouldn't EVER be implemented just because of griefers.

People will find a way, anyway. Fire spreads. You need to light fire for survival. How far down the chain would you need to go to make people unable to burn a structure? To remove fire spread to structures would also be to removing threats/risks related to fire like fire hounds, wildfires, etc.

If you really need such a feature on your server, there's server mods that stop you from being able to burn structures or stuff near them. To me they're a great example of why they SHOULDN'T be implemented into the game; they're not really relevant at all outside the situations where they're just annoying.

21 hours ago, Cheggf said:

This is so obvious, how did I never think to do it before? Gotta add signs to the list of things I have precrafted. 

Sign is the easiest however tackle receptacle burns for much longer (meaning more heat per structure) and also gives back 100% resources back upon hammering 

Archived