Who is Winona, my ideas about her.

If you wanna read my post i have to clarify that i just going to talk about my perspective of Winona and how i would change her.

First of all i have to tell you that i have been a Winona main since before the rework, i still remeber being a good healer during the first forge event and being a solid tank during the secod forge, was really fun being a Winona in those events, and during the gorge i have to admit that i prefered to be a chef but i still made Winona my second pick when i wanted to chill being a farmer. Now that i remember she used to craft really fast with no draw backs, before the infamous nerf to her crafting speed, was the crafting speed really that strong to deserve a nerf or it was just klei trying to make Nona gameplay more interesting idk but im gonna talk more about this later. its funny, i still remember playing her during the first day of the rework, was really funny cause the 5 hunger cost was per craft, and that was a really hard punishment just to have slight better speed than standar... 

Im doing this cause wicker rework is about to pop and after that only two character are left so the reworks are about to end and i want to give some feed back of my Winona, and yeah i know she is gonna get something when the wicker rework come out but i do believe she can be better so lets start.

After all this years playing her i can say without a doubt that her gameplay is simple, she is not really a complex character and thats fine but the issues come from her core gameplay, i have to say that i read a lot of post talking about her, people giving their own suggestions to make her more fun, but at the end i think(this is my personal opinion btw) the majority are taking it from a wrong perspective, some people suggest to give Winona more machines, why?, she is not supposed to be an invetor like wagstaff or wilson so no thanks, and some others just want the generator to be exclusive Winona usage, again why? the catapults are supposed to be a supportive way for the team or the solo player, they are not supposed to be used only for Winona, i dont really get this changes but i respect those opinios and at the end im just gonna give my own opinions here so lets start.

I do believe that Winona is not a inventor nor an engineer, she is just a handywoman and what is that in a game like dont starve?

Well to being honest is hard to pull out something that can define that at least inside this game(ik what is a handyman in real life), we can say that Winona is good at some hand works, and that can be traduced to extra crafting speed, yeah as simple as that... right?

Now now i have some ideas but they are really complex so im just gonna start talking about the easier ones.

First let the spotlights be usefull please, even me, a hard Winona main can tell that the spotlights are really bad,i only use them as decoration so i think to make at least the radius of light bigger and let the players move the spotlight to a certain point and stay there till the generator run out.

Give Winona a toolbox, like in wx-78 animation. She is supposed to be a handyman, what kind of handyman doesnt have a toolbox? The toolbox can make something really special like being used on some structures to get all the materials back, yeah like a decostruction staff, but the toolbox will only work on some placeable structures like catapults, alchemy engine, scince machine, etc. Of course the toolbox is gonna have durability, i think 5 uses per toolbox sounds fair and they can be crafted using rocks, old, flint and sticks. i do think this could be a great addition to her gameplay, since the catapults are not cheap and with this you can at least have the materials back.

Now im gonna start talking about the big changes so bear with me a little.

mmm I just thought about a meter... surprise! XD well not exactly that but you would see, i know the meter thing is a meme in this comunity but the thing is that they work really fine so im gonna try to explain this the better i can.

Winona now have 5 status.

Normal: She can craft as fast as usual but without the hunger lost and without the slowered crafting speed when hungry(these things are annoying and serve no purpose, i do believe klei make this to make Winona more interesting, was a good and easy way to change her a little in that moment but right now is ugly, extracrafting speed is not that good to have draw backs) She can pick up stuff like twiggs or grass faster(just like in the gorge). She now have a chance to being helped by her sister when crafting something. Yeah i do believe that charlie still loves her sister so thats the reason she hesitate to hit her during the night at least at the first attemp so i think she can be helped by charlie in others ways, let me explain. Now she can craft extra stuff, like extra stone, extra rope, etc, this can be explained cause Winona is a handywoman so her sister boost her perks, but this would come with a draw back, every time Winona craft extra stuff she is gonna lose 5 hunger points and 10 sanity points. And of course she can't dupplicate some stuff like placeable structures or ancient/moon stuff.And the chances for this to happen are only a 10%.

"Let's do it" mode: She can enter this status just by click over the status meter. In this mode she can craft and pick stuff even faster than before. Every craft is gonna cost one thing less, for example a chest is gonna cost 2 boards instead of 3. She is gonna lose sanity over time during this mode. She is gonna lose hunger slighly faster than normal mode, she is gonna lose 5 hunger points when she craft if she hasnt crafted in the last minute(yeah like normal actual Winona) This mode is just gonna last for 6 minutes(more than half a day). If you stay in this mode past the 6 minutes you are gonna go into the next mode "The Handywoman!" mode. In this mode you can't have the help of charlie. You are gonna be exhausted when you turn off this mode.

The Handywoman! mode: She can enter this after being in the lets do it mode for more than 6 minutes. She have all the benefits from the lets do it mode as well as all the draw backs. This mode last for 3 minutes. She can craft all stuff half the price. All the expensive stuff like ruins crafts, moon crafts and even some magic stuff are gonna be creafted really slowered. Every expensive craft she makes its gonna cost 6 hunger points and 15 sanity points. She can't craft if hunger is below 50. She can't craft is sanity is below 10.(even i can't work under these conditions). If you dont stop this mode after 2 minutes has passed you are gonna fall asleep after ending the mode( doesnt matter if you end the mode clicking on the status icon or if it runs out by itself). You are gonna suffer a mental breakdown after this.

Exhausted mode: You are gonna enter this mode after being in the let's do it mode. The amount of time of being exhausted is equivalent to three time the time you spent in the lets do it mode, example; 1 minute in the lets do it mode is 3 minutes of exhaustation. During this mode your crafting and picking speed is normal(standar wilson speed). And you arent gonna be able to use the others modes while exhausted.

Mental Breakdown: You are gonna lose 50 points of your maximum health.(booster shoot can work on this). You are gonna lose 50 points of your maximum sanity. During this mode you are gonna craft all stuff slighly slower than normal(not like when hunger is below 50 with actual Winona btw, i dont wanna make this impossible to play). You are gonna lose 2 points of sanity and 2 points of hunger every time you craft something if you hasnt craft anything for the past minute(something like actual Winona). This breakdown is gonna last 24 minutes(3 days of dont starve) And of course you can't use the others modes while in breakdown.

Now Winona can use some of this status to make interesting things but of course with some restrictions, a lot of cool downs and a lot of draw backs, but at the end the player can just play normal without using these special status, so as you can see i made this to make Winona more interesting but at the same time i dont wanted to get ride of her simplicity, i like that about her, of course you are encouraged to use these special modes but you can choose to not do it.

And yeah this could sounds op cause craft some items like ruins stuff half the price sounds problematic but klei has done a lot of good changes to some characters and i tried to balance this the better i could so i hope you gave me some opinions on this, maybe i need more sleep who knows.

I love this so much! Considering that Winona’s a hard worker who won’t rest until the job gets done, I think that Winona having a mode where she can build at her best till she drops is a really good way of showing it!

I don’t have many issues with your suggestion except for the choice to involve Charlie. I agree with the fact that she still loves Winona, but, considering how she reacted towards her in the Forgotten Knowledge short, I don’t think she would randomly give Winona an entire extra item—even if it’s only 10% of the time. I personally think that feature should come of Winona’s own efficiency and how she can make the most of what little materials she has. Perhaps she can “learn” to be more efficient after creating something enough times? It would probably be best for the threshold to be very high to keep it to essential items that players will always need. Regardless, I think it would be better for this aspect to be less focused on her sister and more on her own work ethic—just like the second main mechanic you added.

I really like the Handywoman mode/system, and I think the way you thought of it with the meter is pretty solid! If it HAD to happen without one though, I would activate it by eating a certain food. From there, it could have a slow but steady hunger drain until about the halfway point. Maybe it can be a new “energy food” that she makes to push through long nights? It could give other characters a slight energy buff if they eat it, but it should mostly be for Winona’s own sake.

In general, this suggestion of yours is really well thought out! I think these sorts of perks or modes that are more closely tied to a character rather than their kit is something that Winona (and Wickerbottom, in my opinion) desperately need. Thank you so much for taking the time to make it!

I've tried playing Winona a few times and she seems so simple. I love that idea of a hard worker and having a bonus with a down side, or a down side with a bonus (see Wormwood sanity control with planting and killing trees) makes the game a lot more interesting and fun. Would definitely give Winona a try with the changes you suggested.

21 hours ago, NekoSoulx said:

If you wanna read my post i have to clarify that i just going to talk about my perspective of Winona and how i would change her.

First of all i have to tell you that i have been a Winona main since before the rework, i still remeber being a good healer during the first forge event and being a solid tank during the secod forge, was really fun being a Winona in those events, and during the gorge i have to admit that i prefered to be a chef but i still made Winona my second pick when i wanted to chill being a farmer. Now that i remember she used to craft really fast with no draw backs, before the infamous nerf to her crafting speed, was the crafting speed really that strong to deserve a nerf or it was just klei trying to make Nona gameplay more interesting idk but im gonna talk more about this later. its funny, i still remember playing her during the first day of the rework, was really funny cause the 5 hunger cost was per craft, and that was a really hard punishment just to have slight better speed than standar... 

Im doing this cause wicker rework is about to pop and after that only two character are left so the reworks are about to end and i want to give some feed back of my Winona, and yeah i know she is gonna get something when the wicker rework come out but i do believe she can be better so lets start.

After all this years playing her i can say without a doubt that her gameplay is simple, she is not really a complex character and thats fine but the issues come from her core gameplay, i have to say that i read a lot of post talking about her, people giving their own suggestions to make her more fun, but at the end i think(this is my personal opinion btw) the majority are taking it from a wrong perspective, some people suggest to give Winona more machines, why?, she is not supposed to be an invetor like wagstaff or wilson so no thanks, and some others just want the generator to be exclusive Winona usage, again why? the catapults are supposed to be a supportive way for the team or the solo player, they are not supposed to be used only for Winona, i dont really get this changes but i respect those opinios and at the end im just gonna give my own opinions here so lets start.

(snip)

This part is so wholesome☺

As a winona main, I approve ur  toolbox idea

Archived