Humudifider - Self Powered Mud Boiler + New Mini Design

1273734710_Screenshot2022-06-27031138Resized.png.607fcc2209a0d4d6c3f0d6a59fae0b49.png

Mud Boiling from SHC increase when mud becomes dirt and steam. Mud's SHC is 0.83 (DTU/g)/°C which is converted to 40% dirt at 1.480 (DTU/g)/°C and 60% steam at 4.179 (DTU/g)/°C. To calculate 1 kg of mud will of 830 DTU will become 3,099.4 DTU (400 g X 1.48 DTU/g + 600 g X 4.179 DTU/g) This is an increase of 2,269.4 DTU/g. The issue arise from the fact that most of the heat is untappable at 102.7 °C because using an aquatuner to extra the heat will be power hunger and net a lose of power. A sludge press would be the way to go for a more efficient power to product ratio. How is it possible to tap into this heat efficiently you may wonder, giving that you have clicked on this article. Well there is a way with this following build―

Give way to the Humudifider!

*Humudifider Mini will be in the reply section.

Dehumudifider  is special name came up with by @SeraphLance on Community Discord. The idea of dehydration, which is happening to the mud, with the pun of dehumidifier make this a great name for this build .However to be accurate with what is happening the de- was drop as steam is formed as suggested by @Ishamoridin (Moderator of the Same Community).

image.thumb.png.bab0945efd348d7d235cb745a09fa723.png

Build Summary

To understand the bug employed to create a self power boiler, 2 concept must be understood: Split Steam Turbine and Regolith Melter. The split steam turbine allows the harvest of steam colder than 125C for a duo purpose of generating power free water pump for the cooling loop. The regolith melter is the same idea as a petroleum boiler's heat exchanger but with debris instead of liquids using a property that debris inside a cell has a multiplier of 1000 instead of 62.5 of on top of a cell (Thermal Conductivity). 

This build processes 4kg/s of mud into steam and dirt that is used to preheat the mud going into boiling chamber. The boiling room has petroleum has a heat conductor that is liquid at this temperature with an appealing thermal conductivity 2.000 (DTU/(m*s))/°C allows for the mud to reach boiling point before reaching the mesh tile. The produce steam is extracted by two ST using a split turbine design at the perfect ratio of 1:1 with the steam produce because 6 total accessible tiles for a total of 2400 g/s of extraction which is 60% of 4kg. This is done possible with gas bridge heating up the small pocket of steam drips by the system. A better explanation and design inspiration by Luma Plays linked here. The produce water is used to self cooled the ST and refeed the split turbine bug before heading into the counterflow chamber. During the time, dirt is produce and sits and collects heat from the petroleum before the automation of sweeper arm is allow to pick it up for the conveyor loader. The output dirt and water will continue to increase but expect around 70°C+ and a little double dipping of the heat is done with the Aquatuner heating loop. The manual door at there because of @Ishamoridin suggestion as they behave as as one object than two during solid-solid interaction. There is a double insulated tiles because of the steam making a reversed bead pump that compressed the petroleum to crack the walls.

image.thumb.png.c13034ca4253b70c2de55bf00d083967.pngimage.thumb.png.d0899f16697de6731712a34001bcfa9f.pngimage.png.4bcf82b8df1e18da44b4aca55f55ba57.png

Automation

2117967720_Screenshot2022-06-27032335.thumb.png.85008211940cebe792ed064a062b2574.png

From top down and left to right:

• Thermo Sensor to control the split steam turbine is set to <200°C to turn off power connection to power consumer to prevent further heating.
  • Liquid Valves is set to dispense water at 0.1 g/s.
  • Thermo Sensor for Thermo Aquatuner is set to turn on when petroleum is <105°C.
  • Conveyor Meter dirt output is set to 1.65-1.70 units (need more testing here because there is a delay before the conveyor rail get refill the 20kg of dirt causing the leftover remainder of 20kg to be dispensed instead of should be amount).
  • Timer for 10 seconds green to 120 seconds red allows for power saving mechanism of auto sweeper arms.
  • Conveyor Meter mud input is set to 4 units.

Building Material

Focused on cheap accessible materials.

• Copper Ore Manual Airlocks (Mechanized Airlock can be used for its double of material usage), Liquid Vent and Valve, Mesh tiles, rail, and Machinery outside of boiler room
  • Plastic for the Steam Turbine
  • Refined Copper for Steam Turbine, Radiant Pipes, Automation and wires, and Machinery outside of boiler room
  • Igneous Rock is used for all Insulated Tiles and Pipes
  • Any raw material for normal Pipes doesn't matter because it is in vacuum (Sandstone was used)
  • Gold Amalgam for Machinery inside of boiler room
  • Steel for the two Batteries.
  • Petroleum pool for boiler room (Crude Oil can be use)
  • Super Coolant for the Thermo Aquatuner loop (Most expensive part for the least uptime on the Aquatuner)

Priming

• Room should be vacuum out.
  • Fill the Boiler room the mesh tile under Jumbo Battery (need to check the exact amount).
  • Preheat the machinery and liquids including Steam Turbine and its water pool. The pool for boiling room should be preheated to 106°C. Steam Turbine can be heated to 96°C (This is to get the heat exchange moving faster, but I don't think it is necessary).
  • An external power supplied to power the build until the mud steam becomes 104.1°C.
  • At this point the room should be self powered with small excess power generated.

Power Usage

• 2 Battery - 1.67 W each or 3.33 W for both
  • Jumbo Battery - 3.33 W
  • Themo Aquatuner - 4% uptime and 48 W
  • Conveyer Loader (Dirt) - 3% uptime and 3.6 W
  • 2x Conveyer Meter - 8% uptime and 0.8 W each or 1.6 W for both (The mud meter says 0% but will assume they are the same)
  • 2x Auto-Sweeper - 7% uptime and 8.4 W each or 16.8 W for both
  • Conveyer Loader (Mud) - 7% uptime and 8.4 W

The grand total of power usage is 85.06 W which is cover by the 2 Steam Turbine with an average 44.5 W each or 89 W. There is excessed of 3.94 +/- 1 W to spared. Kind of cutting it close there and not worth extraction.

GIF of Build

Provided by @hydrotoast in the Discord Community of an old model metal tile version during the priming phase.

humidifier-s1.thumb.gif.6d39a2c15ca6ea3a9e2bae6306a1c3c5.gifhumidifier-transport-overlays-s1.thumb.gif.73d43c2f69ea5a2b54ac6f60f64aa963.gif

Mud Gathering

That was the easy part. Now how to get 4kg/s of mud... This number is 2400 kg/cycle and if looking at Divergent Ranching, then 8 kg/s or 4800 kg/cycle of sulfur. That will be 120 Sweetles and 80 Grubgrubs to Ranch at once. Average Sulfur geyser out 1.5 kg/s or 900 kg/cycle of sulfur and that is 18.75% of the requirement. A sour gas boiler makes about 1/3 of the crude oil into Sulfur so 1.11 kg/s or 666.67 kg/cycle with the assumption of 5 Oil Wells 3,333.33 kg/cycle or 69.44% requirement. There is a Swappy Ore Field POI that refills at a rate 1031.7 kg/cycle (Using my playthrough POI) and 20% is mud for a total of 206.34 kg/cycle of mud or 8.6% of the requirement. This can reduce the need on Sweetles and Grubgrubs as it already mud but haven't done the new math. Finally the Radioactive Asteroid Field, the slowest POI in the game, (I found two in my playthrough their recharge rate is 193.6 kg/cycle and 61.3 kg/cycle). This POI has a 27% mining of Sulfur for a sum rate of 68.823 kg/cycle of sulfur for 1.43% of the requirement that uranium is quite useful and able to utilized that sulfur is pretty good. Currently, the requirement is 98.22% filled, what about the other 1.78% leftover you might be asking. Well folks, Oily Asteroid, Slickers, and Glossy Dreckos, they can they can increase the sour gas boiler efficiency just above the threshold making the whole operation possible.

Conclusion

This is a really niche vanity project like @Fradow says, and I would agree. However, if you want to attempt this challenge be my guest. I think this is a great way for bored players to cash in on their sulfur usage. This build works better the longer it is run for as the mud is preheat to higher temperature and the power from Steam Turbines will increase with the temperature of steam output. 

Acknowledgement

• Fradow for the idea and his verison build
  • SeraphLance for the name
  • Hydrotoast for the GIFs and feedback
  • Ishamoridin for his name accuracy fix and door improvement
  • FoolishPig for Discord thread idea
  • Luna Plays for CSV tamer design inspiration

Leaving Thoughts

My save file of my build is link and check out Discord Thread and #spaced-out-advanced-machine-design for my conversating and prototyping. I did forget to change self cooling turbined pipes to copper but it shouldn't matter. I am going to be designing a smaller version with 1 split steam turbine and 2kg/s mud processing to see if it is possible. Currently mud requirement is harsh. Edits will be made as more testing and feedback is done.

Committee.sav

6 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

I love this. I wonder if it can be downscaled a bit, or a lot by just dumping power into it. Since a sour gas boiler is involved... :wilson_evil:

I am currently making a 2kg/s version. There are some improvement but currently I am at a net loss of ~3W. Much smaller blueprint. I think I can make the 4kg/s version smaller too.

1 hour ago, Kastrella said:

I am currently making a 2kg/s version. There are some improvement but currently I am at a net loss of ~3W. Much smaller blueprint. I think I can make the 4kg/s version smaller too.

I was thinking about a divergent stable used to ship grubgrubs to various farms. Those grubgrubs should be ungroomed but always fed, since AFAIK their tending rate depends on their current calories. This would make the power and logistic cost skyrocket, but I don't care: this closes the water cycle, yields some dirt for the crops, it's cool, and could run on just 3/5 oil wells and a sulfur geyser. YAY!

16 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

I was thinking about a divergent stable used to ship grubgrubs to various farms. Those grubgrubs should be ungroomed but always fed, since AFAIK their tending rate depends on their current calories. This would make the power and logistic cost skyrocket, but I don't care: this closes the water cycle, yields some dirt for the crops, it's cool, and could run on just 3/5 oil wells and a sulfur geyser. YAY!

Ungroomed will decrease metabolism by 80% because of unhappy, if I am not mistaken. Will need like 5x more critter each. The water is being output into an infinite storage not cycling. The 2kg/s should be doable, I think the input setup power consumer can but cut from design to yield a self power version.

image.png.951fac82033f7071fc0ed694c4847846.pngYou read the main article and now want a mini version, well now you have it. These optimizations to the automation, piping, and size can be mostly applied to the original design. I may do a follow up on making a smaller 4kg/s design. 

Automation

991716294_Screenshot2022-06-28222852.png.3f2c7af837d64215ef529c8f7b643d14.png

From top down and left to right:

• Thermo Sensor to control the split steam turbine is set to <200°C to turn off power connection to power consumer to prevent further heating.
  • Liquid Valves is set to dispense water at 0.1 g/s.
  • Thermo Sensor for Thermo Aquatuner is set to turn on when petroleum is <106°C.
  •  Conveyor Meter  dirt output is set to 0.82-0.88 units (need more testing here because there is a delay before the conveyor rail get refill the 20kg of dirt causing the leftover remainder of 20kg to be dispensed instead of should be amount).
  • Timer for 5.5 seconds green to 120 seconds red allows for power saving mechanism of auto sweeper arms.
  • Timer Mud for 5 seconds green to 120 seconds red
  • Conveyor Meter mud input is set to 2 units.

Building Material

image.png.4f24cd161ae79f8f581d8c31e84ee26d.pngimage.thumb.png.b526350368a8a792399f7de090e20dc2.pngimage.png.3c5d9ab753f2adfe4ae9e4bf417a06ee.png

Focused on cheap accessible materials.

• Copper Ore Manual Airlocks (Mechanized Airlock can be used for its double of material usage), Liquid Vent and Valve, Mesh tiles, rail, and Machinery excepted the batteries.
  • Plastic for the Steam Turbine
  • Refined Copper for Steam Turbine, Radiant Pipes, Automation and Wires, and Machinery outside of boiler room
  • Igneous Rock is used for all Insulated Tiles and Pipes
  • Any raw material for normal Pipes doesn't matter because it is in vacuum (Sandstone was used)
  • Gold Amalgam for Inside Boiler Battery
  • Steel for the split turbine Batteries.
  • Petroleum pool for boiler room (Crude Oil can be use)
  • Super Coolant for the Thermo Aquatuner loop (Most expensive part for the least uptime on the Aquatuner)

Priming

Much harder than previous design because of smaller battery.

• Room should be vacuum out.
  • Fill the Boiler room the mesh tile under Jumbo Battery (need to check the exact amount).
  • Preheat the machinery and liquids including Steam Turbine and its water pool. The pool for boiling room should be preheated to 107-108°C. Steam Turbine can be heated to 96°C (This is to get the heat exchange moving faster, but I don't think it is necessary).
  • An external power supplied to power the build until the mud steam becomes 105.6°C.
  • At this point the room should be self powered with small excess power generated.

Priming this version required more energy needed for the improvement of lower uptimes of all possible machinery done possible with automation improvements.

Power Usage

• 2 Battery - 1.67 W each or 3.33 W for both
  • Themo Aquatuner - >2% and <3% uptime and ~30 W (The uptime can't show decimals.)
  • Conveyer Loader (Dirt) - 2% uptime and 2.4 W
  • 2x Conveyer Meter - 4% uptime and 0.4 W each or 0.8 W for both (The mud meter says 0% but will assume they are the same)
  • 2x Auto-Sweeper - 4% uptime and 4.8W W each or 9.6 W for both
  • Conveyer Loader (Mud) - 4% uptime and 4.8 W

The grand total of power usage is 50.93 W which is cover by the Steam Turbine with an average 52.33 W. There is excessed of 1.4 +/- 1 W to spared. Kind of cutting it even closer there with a small battery that don't hold much charge and even more not worth extraction.

Committee Cycle 272.sav

Archived