Automatic work doors to stretch suffocation

Do you ever get annoyed by your dupes running in to a vacuum or unbreathable room, running to their job, but never finishing it because they can't breathe?  But when they get back, they have well over 40-50% breath left?  Do you ever lock your dupes in an unbreathable room so they can get more work done before leaving?  And if you do give them free access, they bring in igneous rock fresh from the volcano?  Well, then I have the automatic doors for you!

I have built an automation device to lock my dupes in to my vacuum room for a certain amount of time and then lets them out before they can suffocate.

image.thumb.png.86c1117b212d813f24325c9272031c6e.png

image.thumb.png.703d8e8ce000761f2e40b847ce965d39.pngimage.thumb.png.6e41fcea7ebcf636e3460f324ef7b840.png

The way it works is as follows:

By default, the bottom door (which only lets dupes in) should be open and the top door is locked.  When there are jobs in the vacuum room, the dupes will start running in, but they won't be able to leave.  When the first dupe enters, they will trigger the bottom sensor.  This triggers the memory switch, allowing more dupes to enter for 30 seconds. 

Then, the bottom entry door locks, stopping new dupes from entering.  (This prevents dupes from being able to have jobs when the top door opens later). 

After 45 more seconds (15 seconds after the suffocation alarm goes off), the top door opens, letting all the dupes out to breathe. 

The top dupe motion sensor detects when a dupe leaves.  When no dupe has left for 25 seconds, it triggers the falling-edge detector to send a one second true pulse to the memory gate below, resetting the system and allowing dupes to enter.

I haven't run this a ton, so I have a third door that I can manually let dupes out and a switch that resets the system to let dupes in.

Below are pictures of all the states of the system:

Spoiler

Dupes are allowed in, but none have entered.

image.thumb.png.63b5b7b2b289fe411e55a914bcc4b367.png

A duplicant has entered the room, triggering the motion detector.  Dupes can still enter, but only for 30 seconds.

image.thumb.png.ef23c73ad13f9a6fff6357889290bdea.png

30 seconds have passed, so now the bottom door closes and dupes can not enter anymore.  I also have selected the first dupe who entered the room so you can see the breath.

image.thumb.png.35f15597ff105d2c6873ae91d7499c2d.png

45 more seconds have passed, so the top exit door has been opened.  Note that the dupes are officially suffocating now.

image.thumb.png.6ac49394633bcc3200f9b3e9f3942c8c.png

A dupe has left the room, triggering the top motion detector.  Every dupe managed to leave without a 20second gap between any two dupes.  The reset gets triggered and resets the system, allowing dupes to enter the vacuum room.

image.thumb.png.33e65a95e78592391e54339ca8b095d0.png

Some notes about the colony:

Spoiler

There was a gas leak in my magma room, but the mass per tile is less than 1 gram per tile, so there is no thermal transfer.

I built this in survival.

This is Spaced Out, and my asteroid doesn't have thimblereed

The waterlock is a 2 liquid debuff free waterlock.

This is a custom map yaml which is a larger version of the Flipped asteroid and more variety in biomes, but none of the major missing resources like thimblereeds, dreckos, oil, or chlorine.  I do not have atmosuits.

The automation overlaps an automatic dispenser, but it has no effect, as the dispenser is not powered.

This system is extremely stressful to me with regular suffocation alarms.

There was a flaw in the automation which allowed the "Dupe Leaving" signal to be triggered before the exit door was open.  To prevent this, I added an AND gate to that sensor so that it only triggers the automation if the exit door is enabled.

image.thumb.png.7172a416fc94e2076ed9af6880f192a4.png

1 minute ago, SackMaggie said:

I bet the dupe is also stressful, They would freak out whenever they saw exit point of the base.

They don't mind.  I have 11% stress right now using this system (on fatalistic)

I certainly do this manually in the early game or in Spaced Out early in a colony, but I don't see too much value in automating it when Masks or Atmosuits can be deployed.

2 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

I bet the dupe is also stressful,

Oddly enough even though Dupes find low oxygen to be stressful, and also find cold and hot stressful, they aren't at all stressed by Holding Breath or being in vacuum.

20 minutes ago, blakemw said:

I certainly do this manually in the early game or in Spaced Out early in a colony, but I don't see too much value in automating it when Masks or Atmosuits can be deployed.

Oddly enough even though Dupes find low oxygen to be stressful, and also find cold and hot stressful, they aren't at all stressed by Holding Breath or being in vacuum.

But I am playing on a flipped asteroid with no teleporters.  Flipped asteroid has no thimblereed and no dreckos, meaning I don't have atmosuits until I go to space and get it.  To get to space, I had to deal with the magma, which requires working in a vacuum. 

Technically, I'm playing on a custom map which I made larger and more varied, but I did specifically leave out important resources missing on the Flipped Asteroid.

34 minutes ago, Zarquan said:
44 minutes ago, blakemw said:

But I am playing on a flipped asteroid with no teleporters.  Flipped asteroid has no thimblereed and no dreckos, meaning I don't have atmosuits until I go to space and get it.  To get to space, I had to deal with the magma, which requires working in a vacuum. 

That's exactly when I use manual suffocation. Either Volcanoea maps when digging out vacuum tunnels to thermally isolate magma breaches, or the flipped asteroid without teleporters. But it doesn't take very long at all to punch through, and the flipped asteroid has cold abyssalite (like 90 C or so) so the heat that leaks through is quite easily removed making it not imperative to maintain a vacuum after digging out the channel.

15 minutes ago, blakemw said:

That's exactly when I use manual suffocation. Either Volcanoea maps when digging out vacuum tunnels to thermally isolate magma breaches, or the flipped asteroid without teleporters. But it doesn't take very long at all to punch through, and the flipped asteroid has cold abyssalite (like 90 C or so) so the heat that leaks through is quite easily removed making it not imperative to maintain a vacuum after digging out the channel.

Yeah, the cold abyssalite gap is a feature of the standard flipped asteroid, but I thought the gap defeated the point of having a magma biome above you, so I went in to the map generation files and removed it from my game.  I now must deal with the magma in some reasonable way before I go to space.  I drained the magma on one half of the map to the other side of the map to be used later.  I am already using it as a heat sink for my metal refineries.

Archived